Who are we? Would we have benefitted by benching MCW? | Syracusefan.com

Who are we? Would we have benefitted by benching MCW?

SyracuseFan

Scout Team
If this team doesn't generate easy buckets in transition keyed from defensive stops ala the last two years (currently is less likely than the apocalypse) then we have to become a much better half court team. We are currently or at risk of becoming a worse half court offensive team, IMO.

We've Come Upon A Dangerous Crossroad IMHO.
Early on we showed the ability as an offensive unit to move the ball around & find the uncontested shooter. This selflessness and assist ratio put us in the top 5 the last two years; it had appeared this year early but not as a natural chemistry.

IMO the problem is now we (coaches and players) have fallen in love with and come to expect MCW's ability to penetrate and find the open man sometimes with brilliant spacing/execution and sometimes simply with luck and our huge advantage in length and athleticism. These gaps and athletic advantages as we just saw are much tighter against longer athletic teams like what we'll face in January-March.

Our entire offense cannot depend on our soon to be exhausted PG to be able to penetrate in every half court setting. We've started to look like the bad offensive teams of the previous decade. You remember the ones that stood around and watched the G pound the ball for 25 seconds and then shoot or drive wildly to the hoop. This offensive ineptitude plagued us for years before our recent dominance with a defensive-fueled mindset and our off the charts chemistry. I guess this team is starting to look more like a work in progress at every single position. Only one spot seemed rock-solid… the most important spot our leader the one who’s making bad decisions everywhere while acting childish, forcing things and maybe being selfish?

I think this team needs a lot of help as an offensive unit, we haven’t seen 20 minutes of chemistry yet let alone 40. We’ve seen 15-20 minutes of streaky shooting not teamwork. What’s our best lineup? Nobody has a clue and were a week away from big boy ball. We are not looking like a team who has defined its roles and created an offense. We are going to ride the back of our 10 game ready sophomore PG and look to be unconcerned about helping him shoulder the load, with a backup G who is scared we better take another look at this approach IMO. If the frontline doesn’t step up and provide OF consistency, blocks and hard fouls we are going to struggle big-time.

This team lacks the concentration and desire to be that defensive minded team thus far IMO. Maybe due to lack of zone experience meh... more desire... and more likely they know they have a PG that has been brilliant. This team hasn't had to work as hard to score as our recent teams pre MCW. This is where our horrendous schedule has come to bite us IMO. We have no idea who we are and I think it’s obvious. Minute Management is vital in these next few games, I hope our HOF’er guesses right because he’s not one to easily change the decisions he’ll be making in the next 10 days. We need to get some consistent chemistry by way of less shuffling IMO.

Honestly AS A UNIT I've seen almost zero improvement on either side of the ball, I'm talking consistent team defense and team offense. I see a team that came out on the carrier with three-dimensional promise, which has almost regressed to a one-dimensional PG or bust situation.

It’s funny and ironic... In my silly opinion JB was handed the opportunity to make the rest of this team wake up... then choose the cream off the top... what cream we still don't know?

I think the one thing this team needed recently was to learn how to play without MCW. Force everyone quite literally into the fire and see who emerges, those are your guys for now. It would have helped with ball movement, it would have helped Cooney gain much needed confidence, it would have helped teach the kid a lesson he should have been learning right now and it would have made us a better team. One week off for MCW… so maybe we lose a game or two, maybe we become a better team who can’t rely on one player. We know what we have with MCW, but that’s about it…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom