Who complains about these possible ACC divisional alignment | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Who complains about these possible ACC divisional alignment

That alignment might work, but, for one thing...one of the demands from the 2003 expansion was that the four NC schools be split up. I don't see the rest of the league changing their stance on that.

That will not change - the 4 NC schools will remain split. UNC was opposed to them being split (that was one of the reasons UNC opposed expanding to 12), but now would vote to keep the split because of widening our football recruiting.

Who's says that they'd have to give up "one of their prime choices.

I suspect that Clemson, FSU & GA Tech want to be in the same division. Couple FSU with Miami, GA Tech with Duke and Clemson with whichever remaining school they'd like, and that's where it ends. Once Louisville joins, that's the way it is until/unless ND goes all-in.

A few GT fans bellyache about not playing FSU annually, but GT's administration greatly prefers to be in a division with Dook, UNC, and UVA to playing FSU annually.

GT likely would be happy if FSU were swapped for Miami. But would FSU prefer to play GT annually rather than play Clemson annually? That is no more than a toss up. Would Miami be amenable to the trade? I have strong doubts. Miami seems to demand only 1 former BE foe as an annual game now: VT. And I think VT definitely would prefer playing Miami annually rather than FSU.

BTW the zipper divisions would look like IMO
Georgia Tech- Clemson
Miami-Florida State
Boston College-Syracuse
Virginia-Virginia Tech
North Carolina-North Carolina State
Duke-Wake Forest
Pittsburgh-Louisville

That will not change - the 4 NC schools will remain split. UNC was opposed to them being split (that was one of the reasons UNC opposed expanding to 12), but now would vote to keep the split because of widening our football recruiting.
If 4 NC school want to remain split the ACC should split the 2 VA schools up and make them cross-over opponents. Flip one of Syracuse/Boston College for one of Virginia/Virginia Tech and the conference would have more balance and throw FSU a bone.

Division 1
Duke
Miami
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

Division 2
Boston College
Clemson
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Louisville
Pittsburgh
Syracuse

Crossovers
UVA-Pitt
VPI-BC
Wake-SU
Ga.Tech-Duke
UNC-Louisville
Miami-FSU
NCSU-Clemson

It would get FSU, Clemson, Tech ALL TOGETHER each year. Protect cross-division rivalries with the other division for each FSU-Miami, Ga. Tech-Duke, Clemson-NCSU. It would guarantee the four NC schools playing a true robin against each other every year.
Virginia would be playing its riv@ls in UNC, VPI, Duke.
VPI keeps its rivalry with Miami, UVA.
Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Boston College would have a nice three way rivalry.
Plus with 4 NC schools in 1 division the odds that each team would play atleast 1 NC school each year are roughly the same and you would have cross-over games, and every two years you definitely would play a NC school with a 4 in 7 chance.
FSU may not be too happy with them, considering Miami is the only school farther south and they'd be in the same division as the 4 northern most schools.

FSU may not be too happy with them, considering Miami is the only school farther south and they'd be in the same division as the 4 northern most schools.
Again, FSU would love Georgia Tech every year along with Clemson and Miami(Fl) with those 3 games they would be getting 3 good games along with Louisville who they were instrumental into bringing into the ACC that would be 4 good games. Plus, 1 Northeast trip each year BC/SU, and Pittsburgh whom FSU has a history with in the 1970s. FSU would take these divisions in a heartbeat over the current ones.

Whoa, I never knew that a major school moved 2 hours away as recently as that.

Syracuse to Manhattan is just 250 miles. Hmmmm...

;)

Yep. I believe it was the R.J. Reynolds family who made the move financially possible, and, worthwhile. The Reynolds family were HUGE tobacco industry folks. Very, very, very wealthy.

I think the divisions stay as they are. FSU may want GATech but it's hard to find a GATech official that wants FSU over what they have now. Sure, they'd like to add FSU to their current mix, but FSU is not a priority for GATech and they aren't willing to give up one of their prime choices for FSU.

Many FSU fans will pretend there is a rivalry with GATech, but it wasn't much of a rivalry. Their best argument is that they are close to each other.

I'd like to see BC and Pitt switch but from a balance between the divisions perspective, the change should not happen, especially with Louisville coming in for Maryland.

One way to make the GATech switch balance the power would be to switch with Louisville, but then you run into the issues listed above.

What Tech fans are saying, is that it doesn't make much sense for them to only play their 2nd closest conference rival once every six years. FSU has a huge alumni chapter in Atlanta, and, IIRC, its like 250 miles from Atlanta to Tallahassee. It'd be an easy travel game for both schools. And, the games are usually very much worth watching.

If 4 NC school want to remain split the ACC should split the 2 VA schools up and make them cross-over opponents. Flip one of Syracuse/Boston College for one of Virginia/Virginia Tech and the conference would have more balance and throw FSU a bone.

The divisions as they're split now is not bad. It does prevent games some schools would like to play more regularly (Tech-FSU, UNC-Wake, NCSU-Duke), but, it maintains enough of the longstanding rivalries that are most important to the majority of teams (FSU-Miami, UNC-UVA, Tech-Duke, NCSU-CU, etc).

What Tech fans are saying, is that it doesn't make much sense for them to only play their 2nd closest conference rival once every six years. FSU has a huge alumni chapter in Atlanta, and, IIRC, its like 250 miles from Atlanta to Tallahassee. It'd be an easy travel game for both schools. And, the games are usually very much worth watching.

I understand the distance issue, which I mentioned. However, no GATech officials are clamoring for FSU on the slate when they have UNC, Duke and UVA, whom they want more. The fans argument falls under the distance issue, which I addressed as being the best argument. However, the point remains that there was no rivalry and GATech is less worried about playing FSU annually that the others.

I have no issue swapping Louisville or NCState for GATech, it's not likely to happen though.

I understand the distance issue, which I mentioned. However, no GATech officials are clamoring for FSU on the slate when they have UNC, Duke and UVA, whom they want more. The fans argument falls under the distance issue, which I addressed as being the best argument. However, the point remains that there was no rivalry and GATech is less worried about playing FSU annually that the others.

I have no issue swapping Louisville or NCState for GATech, it's not likely to happen though.

Fair enough.

For those not from NC, or, who don't live here...

NCSU-Wake used to be a bitter rivalry, until Wake Forest University moved from the town of Wake Forest, to Winston-Salem, in 1956. Wake Forest is a small town in Wake County, of which Raleigh is the county seat (and state capital). Rivalries are driven by proximity and familiarity, and, those two being in the same county made it pretty intense.

WFU moving two hours away to the Triad area, from the Triangle, has hurt them more than many imagined. They're basically an outlier to Carolina, State, and, Duke, now.

Just a little history surrounding Wake-NCSU...when I was growing up, NC observed Easter Monday as its official state Easter holiday, as opposed to Good Friday. And, that was because Wake and State used to play a baseball game on that day, and, the state gave its employees the day off, so they could attend it.
After recently investigating NC for a possible future move, I was wondering why Wake Forest University wasn't actually in Wake Forest. That's interesting.

After recently investigating NC for a possible future move, I was wondering why Wake Forest University wasn't actually in Wake Forest. That's interesting.

Its a pretty cool story about the university.

Yep. I believe it was the R.J. Reynolds family who made the move financially possible, and, worthwhile. The Reynolds family were HUGE tobacco industry folks. Very, very, very wealthy.

I'm familiar with RJ Reynolds. That company bought one that employed my father and step-mother, and promptly gutted it. Now I have a reason to hate Wake Forest.

:)

I'm familiar with RJ Reynolds. That company bought one that employed my father and step-mother, and promptly gutted it. Now I have a reason to hate Wake Forest.

he ruined Green Lantern too.

well, close enough.

Oh Lord

Well, I accomplished something worthwhile, if I got you to hate Wake Forest. ;)

Well, I accomplished something worthwhile, if I got you to hate Wake Forest. ;)
I thought hating Wake Forest was against the ACC by-laws. Kinda like the Rudy of the conference. Just my perception, and Scooch is obviously excepted from this rule.

I thought hating Wake Forest was against the ACC by-laws. Kinda like the Rudy of the conference. Just my perception, and Scooch is obviously excepted from this rule.

Wake is the irritating little brother to UNC, NCSU, and, Duke. But, for football at least, they're a tough out for anybody in this league. They have a fantastic HC in Jim Grobe, and, he and his staff get the most out of the talent they recruit. Your games with them will be battles. Count on it. Especially the games in Winston-Salem.

Wake is the irritating little brother to UNC, NCSU, and, Duke. But, for football at least, they're a tough out for anybody in this league. They have a fantastic HC in Jim Grobe, and, he and his staff get the most out of the talent they recruit. Your games with them will be battles. Count on it. Especially the games in Winston-Salem.
Sounds like Rutgers. Well, at least the first sentence.

Sounds like Rutgers. Well, at least the first sentence.

Hey, everybody in America who follows college sports knows Rutgers got the greatest gift in the history of collegiate athletics when the Big 10 invited them. And, it was all about location, location, location. Nothing else. They sure as hell were not invited for their overall athletic prowess. If they wanted a northeast school who has actually accomplished something worthwhile, they would've invited Syracuse, or, UConn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom