Who do we go to when we have to have a basket? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Who do we go to when we have to have a basket?

They used it a couple times last night. It's really only effective if the other guard is wary of a three point shooter out top, so it's imperative Triche hit a couple during a game to earn that respect. Or move James up to that area on a night he's actually hitting.

Different play. You can pick the person at the top of a zone, but it is not a high pick and roll. The roll man would roll to the bottom of the zone it doesn't work.

When you have a committee approach to being the go-to guy..it just means you have no go to guys at all. Not always the best situation to be in come Sweet 16, elite 8.

If we had 14 seconds to go, down by 1...I'd like to see the ball go in to CJ and see what he can do. Probably our highest percentage chance of something good happening there.
That is some gif in your sig. Is it meant to embarrass Nash for his 'ole defense, or Howard for his Charmin soft interior D? Either way, what a disgrace for them.

Different play. You can pick the person at the top of a zone, but it is not a high pick and roll. The roll man would roll to the bottom of the zone it doesn't work.

I didn't realize we were talking about pick and roll. The other poster said you give it MCW and pick for him, nothing about the pick and roll.

Lets try it this way.

You are the coach of the opposing team. SU has the ball with 20 seconds left needing a 2 pt. basket to tie. In spite of what has hpeened in the first 39 mins and 40 seconds, what do you try and shut down first, second, etc. And what do you want SU to do?

Clearly, preventing MCW from driving the lane is a high priority.

And getting the ball in the hands of Keita or Christmas or Grant sounds like a good idea ... especially with SU's foul-shooting.
BMK and Grant won't be in there. And Rak will only touch the ball if it is within a foot of the basket for a slam.

MCW is an elite talent and the ball will most certainly start in his hands. If we are only down one, the 3 players involved are probably MCW, BT, and CJ. From there I think it is situational. It will depend on the expected defensive matchups and strategy.

But as to the OP, the move is MCW with the drive or dish. And in future years many will refer to this as being nearly unstoppable. Remember last year the pundits downgraded SU for not having a "dude", this year we have a "dude". We have a universally recognized NBA talent on the roster. He will be given all crunch decisions. In '03 did we give the ball to Pace?

I didn't realize we were talking about pick and roll. The other poster said you give it MCW and pick for him, nothing about the pick and roll.

Yeah I assumed he met high pick and roll. Because MCW is very good off of the high pick and roll. It's a big reason why the NBA scouts love his game.

MCW with the ball up top and trying to drive. Options are fair at the right elbow (where he can make one dribble and shoot from the foul line or do his curling drive and scoop shot), Southerland and Triche for kick outs, and against man the possibility of a dump down to a rolling center for a dunk. If MCW gets shut down on he drive, he kicks to Triche who tries to drive and do the lunging left handed layup that he's pretty good at.

When you have a committee approach to being the go-to guy..it just means you have no go to guys at all. Not always the best situation to be in come Sweet 16, elite 8.

This team has no transcendent scorer or closer, and that's okay, because they are a rare commodity at the college level or even in the NBA.

Having a creator like MCW and four legitimate scoring options on the floor is a nightmare for opposing coaches. I view this as a strength now and come NCATT time.

Triche will have the ball and the balls.

Yeah I think Triche didn't play well against there zone, but he has been killing mam to man all year so I'm not worried about him.

Dion going to the hole was "money". Southerland from 3-pt range is scary. Triche from 15 ft is scary. MCW in the lane can work all sorts of ways.

I think your recollection of Dion's success rate is a little fuzzy. He had a 10-game stretch during the latter half of the regular season where his performance tailed off (possibly due to a large wrap he was wearing on one of his hands) and he was not money. I remember him settling for very difficult running fadeaways or impossible flips with his left hand in clock-killing situations.

As for who the main player will be this year, I think the default play will be a high screen for MCW, but as others have said, Boeheim often goes to the guy who has the best matchup. For example, last year at UConn, he designed a play in the final minute for Fair, who was being guarded by Andre Drummond. He figured Fair could maneuver around the bigger Drummond for a decent shot. This matchup also left Fab Melo being guarded by a smaller player and Melo eventually dunked home Fair's miss.

As a result, I can see Boeheim calling a play for Triche if he is being guarded by a smaller player that can be overpowered, or Fair if he has a mobility advantage against a bigger defender who is not used to guarding drives to the hoop.

My guess is it will be the same as it seems to be now when we need a crunch basket or when everything else in the possession goes awry. It will be MCW with a high pick and role dishing to CJ or Roc, taking it himself in the lane or possibly kicking back to BT or JS. Probably in that order.

Actually it may depend also upon whether they are playing man or zone. If zone, it'll probably go into CJ or JS at the free throw line and they'll drive and dish, shoot, or pop it back for a three. I have to say I'd almost rather they be in a man situation. I am still not that confident in CJ and JS decision making in that situation. It's not awful, but a little scary...

I am still not that confident in CJ and JS decision making in that situation. It's not awful, but a little scary...

CJ isnt quite on the Hakim Warrick/Rick Jackson black hole level...but he is not passing the ball if he gets it within 14 feet and has a look. It's going up on the tin...thats his only decision.

Yeah I assumed he met high pick and roll. Because MCW is very good off of the high pick and roll. It's a big reason why the NBA scouts love his game.
I did mean high pick and roll. But, if we are zoned i still screen the top of the zone and have mcw try and come off the screen and make something happen. I would assume teams will try to take the ball out of his hands in either case though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom