Who do you think will be syracuse's first/second scoring options next year??? | Syracusefan.com

Who do you think will be syracuse's first/second scoring options next year???

Who do you think will be Syracuse's first/second scoring options next year???

• Total voters

orangefan13

Hall of Fame
I am going with CJ and Cooney as a sleeper.

I think Cooney will be the one guy we look for a outside shot from. He will be able to do it from all over the floor.

But unfortunately, Cooney won't be on the floor in crunch time. We will be living and dying with BT, MCW, James, CJ and Coleman... maybe Rak plays some when we have a lead and defense is needed.

i think you are going to see a lot more of rak than you think...

Triche
Southerland

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I think the reality of our team will be that we really will not have first or second scoring options. I see us just running our O & having multiple guys you can make a play or a shot if they get an opportunity/opening.

However, keeping with the spirit of your post, I would see Brandon as one of the two. He is the closest we have to somebody who you can pass the ball to, get out of the way, & have him create a shot for himself (or others). No doubt MCW will be able to create, but the jury is out on whether or not he can be enough of a finisher to be considered a "scoring" option. IF DC2's skills translate then he will be a guy you can dump the ball down to & have him make a play & score.

Now, keep in mind a best scoring option is different than a high scorer. James and/or CJ may well be amongst our two to four highest scorers, but I do not see them as being our first or second scoring option in the sense that in a close game at the end you get them the ball & clear out.

Its a scary thought but we could have 7 guys average near 7-10 ppg and thats not counting Keita/grant.

1.Triche averaged 9.5 last year.
2.James averaged 7 points in 16 minutes last year and hes a senior. Try moving him up to 25 mpg with more experience.
3.CJ averaged 8.5 in 26 minutes no reason to think he can't crack 10.
4. Cooney is a really good shooter supposively. Gmac good and hes a true sophmore.
5.MCW is a MCDAA who practiced at the college level all last year.
6.Dajuan if he can stay on the floor defensively has the body and soft touch to finish baskets and get fouled.
7. Rak had 6 points against unc ashville, and OSU. He had 8 against KSU to end the year. He just has to add any kind of hook post move or short jumper.

I think we'll get our most consistent scoring from MCW and Triche, but our most explosive scoring out of Southerland/Fair/Coleman, if that makes sense.

My guess is Southerland, with Triche close behind. I hope to see Cooney's numbers showing up strong also.

If Southerland gets 25 minutes that means that Rak is not cutting it. I don't like to think that is going to happen.

If Southerland gets 25 minutes that means that Rak is not cutting it. I don't like to think that is going to happen.

With your avatar, I totally pictured your words coming out of JB's mouth in a press conference.

Triche and CJ will bring the steadiest scoring game to game, with James, MCW, Cooney, Coleman and Rak all having some big scoring moments along the way.

But unfortunately, Cooney won't be on the floor in crunch time. We will be living and dying with BT, MCW, James, CJ and Coleman... maybe Rak plays some when we have a lead and defense is needed.
Wow...no offense but I don't see Southy in before Rak. I think Rak will have a great Sophomore year ... he will be great with DC2 at the 5. CJ at the 3 and Dirty swinging between the 3 and 4. Grant gonna get some playing time as well.

CJ, BT and MCW averaging double figures. Cooney coming in and doing serious damage from the 3 but the scoring is coming from CJ, BT, and MCW.

The likely starters, subs' and point averages (IMO) are:

BT (12-15 points with occasional explosions)
MCW (8-10 points playing 25-30 minutes)
CJ (11-14 points with occasional explosions)
Rak (6-8 points)(more minutes)
DC2 (8-10 right out of the box, possible double/double machine)

JS (10-15 points--streaky, but doubling his 16 minutes last year, backing up both CJ and Rak)
TC (6-8 points ... he can make two 3's off the bench, after being coiled up for a year in practice)
Keita (6 points -- junior backing up DC2)(had 6-8 but edited down due to flames)
Grant (4 points backing up CJ, with big upside)

Keita averaged 2.3 pts/game. 6-8pts? Is he going to grow a new set of hands?

The day Keita averages 8 ppg...will be the day he is playing in the Zaire pro league.

I think the leading scorers will be BT and CJ.

For the scorers in crunch time, I think it will be BT and a person to be named per game depending on matchups.

Keita averaged 2.3 pts/game. 6-8pts? Is he going to grow a new set of hands?

He definately has had mits of stone, Alaska, I just think that, with another year under his belt and a good tournament behind him, I'm predicting that he'll take the next step in scoring.

But after seeing your post and mymelo's, 6 is more realistic. We'll see.

I think we'll get our most consistent scoring from MCW and Triche, but our most explosive scoring out of Southerland/Fair/Coleman, if that makes sense.

Yes, that makes a lot of sense, but I might add Cooney to the explosive scoring side. Cooney as a consistent scorer would be a gift from heaven!-VBOF

I'm see a lot of Brandon Triche, maybe I am in the minority but I have seen him play for 3 years now and do not see a leading scorer. He is a good player but I have yet to see that killer mentality out of him. Maybe as a senior he says screw it and go's all out but I just haven't seen it. I think Southerland has a great opportunity to be our leading scorer. He can play inside and outside, if he can become a little more consistent and work on his dribble he could be a mismatch. In the beginning of the year last year he dominated smaller opponents, if he can translate that to the big boys this year with his work in the offseason I say look out. It wouldn't surprise me to see Rak or Coleman as a leading scorer though because when MCW was in the game he fed the Big Guys a lot when he drove, if that continues next year they could be getting a lot of easy baskets when the defense slides over to help.

I think Southerland has a great opportunity to be our leading scorer. He can play inside and outside, if he can become a little more consistent and work on his dribble he could be a mismatch. In the beginning of the year last year he dominated smaller opponents, if he can translate that to the big boys this year with his work in the offseason I say look out.

Southerland has shown he can fill it up in a hurry from the outside, but I must have been in the kitchen grabbing a beer when he had his inside game on display this season. What I did see from him was a more complete game in terms of rebounding and defense, and that should translate into more minutes on the court next season.

CJ and Brandon are the frontrunners. Coleman might surprise everyone but James will never lead the team in scoring. James went very long stretches of the BE season last year missing wide open shots. What on earth would make anyone think that all of a sudden he will become JJ Reddick? He has never proven that he can play on a national stage on a consistent basis. He is a nice bench player in this league. Nothing more nothing less. If JS is our leading scorer next year then we will rely on too many jumpshots and struggle like 'Nova did this year. We will need Coleman and CJ to establish a solid inside game first and then BT, MCW and James can take advantage.

CJ and Brandon.

Hands down.

Outside chance of an upperclassmen triumvirate of CJ / BT / Dirty as the bomb squad.