Who else is looking foward to Bourama next season. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Who else is looking foward to Bourama next season.

Count me in the “light switch has flipped” crowd.

As Sid has said himself, he’s stopped overthinking and is just reacting.

Bodes well. But he does need to beef up and get some help in the post.

That's exactly what I saw tonight. Good way to say it - not overthinking. He seemed to be moving naturally and not like he was afraid to make a mistake.

I always thought he was capable since his freshman season. Didn’t know how much his knee held him back but sure looks like he is getting it know. Good for him as I hate hearing Jim rip him. Also may be what lit a fire under his ars. Never know.

Really happy for him as it will boost his confidence for the rest of the season

Whats weird is right as Bourama is producing, Quincy has started disappearing. Maybe this should be its own thread but where has the Jan/most of Feb Quincy gone. I noticed hes not a great leaper and tonight he seemed to have no lift. I remember thinking the same thing regarding Sidibes lift last year. JB in his presser said he was getting his shot blocked by guys who shouldn't be able to.

If both these guys can produce it gives more hope to next year.

Really happy for him as it will boost his confidence for the rest of the season

Whats weird is right as Bourama is producing, Quincy has started disappearing. Maybe this should be its own thread but where has the Jan/most of Feb Quincy gone. I noticed hes not a great leaper and tonight he seemed to have no lift. I remember thinking the same thing regarding Sidibes lift last year. JB in his presser said he was getting his shot blocked by guys who shouldn't be able to.

If both these guys can produce it gives more hope to next year.

I noticed the connection also between Quincy an Bourama's production. Q did pick up quite a few minutes when Sidibe got yanked so that may be a factor. I'd have to look at the minutes for the past few games.

I agree with the OPs sentiment.

But those who are expecting him to be Shaq [or even Rak, sticking to an example closer to the program] are setting themselves up for disappointment.

But 8 / 10, finishing the ones he's supposed to, not being a 45% liability at the FT line, and a guy who can consistently score in double figures any given game? Absolutely.

It's important to keep in mind that the kid was basically unproven at the beginning of the season. He'd played, but only intermittently. Nobody knew whether he could stay healthy, play pain-free, etc. He needed to get some game PT under his belt, to figure things out. None of those issues will be factors next year. His senior season, he'll be an experienced guy who's had / learned from / expanded his game as a function of going through ups and downs.

i'd be really surprised if we don't see more emphasis on inside scoring next year, sans Eli -- to capitalize on Sidibe / Guerrier. And I wouldn't be surprised to see him be a double-double guy.

Now - the question is, will he become a better defensive presence? Because if so, he could have a VERY effective senior campaign if the last four games are something he builds upon.

Last edited:
marek had a couple of nice feeds to bourama last night. faked shot and instead lobbed it down low.

We still need more size to compete with UNC/Louisville/FSU
Jesse-Sid-Dolezaj across the front line would be fine against most teams
If he learns to stay out of foul trouble he will be a double/double machine. It's so good to see him contributing.

I think he and Jesse will eliminate the handwringing over the 5 spot next year, nice combo to build the zone around.

But those who are expecting him to be Shaq [or even Rak, sticking to an example closer to the program] are setting themselves up for disappointment.

But 8 / 10, finishing the ones he's supposed to, not being a 45% liability at the FT line, and a guy who can consistently score in double figures any given game? Absolutely.

It's important to keep in mind that the kid was basically unproven at the beginning of the season. He'd played, but only intermittently. Nobody knew whether he could stay healthy, play pain-free, etc. He needed to get some game PT under his belt, to figure things out. None of those issues will be factors next year. His senior season, he'll be an experienced guy who's had / learned from / expanded his game as a function of going through ups and downs.

i'd be really surprised if we don't see more emphasis on inside scoring next year, sans Eli -- to capitalize on Sidibe / Guerrier. And I wouldn't be surprised to see him be a double-double guy.

Now - the question is, will he become a better defensive presence? Because if so, he could have a VERY effective senior campaign if the last four games are something he builds upon.

A big key offensively at least -- and probably a pretty obvious one -- is limiting fouls. This is completely arbitrary in terms of statistical significance, but relevent in the sense that when Sidibe has been able to stay on the floor for longer stretches he's been pretty effective (offensively at least).

Consider the games where Sidibe has played at least 27 minutes (that's the arbitrary part). His numbers in those 13 games (hard to believe he's only gotten to 27 minutes 13 times):

8.8 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 1.7 steals, 1.84 blocks

In ACC games where he has logged at least 27 minutes he's been even better across the board (statistically at least):

9.6 ppg, 9 rpg, 2.25 steals, 2 blocks

Our record in the 13 games was 9-4 (losses to a top 25 iowa team where we did get crushed defensively inside, top 10 FSU on the road in a game that went to the wire, and the brutal G'town/UNC losses). In the 8 conference games we were 6-2 with FSU/UNC as losses.

So what does it all mean? I don't know. Do we maybe beat Penn State or Clemson with Sidibe staying on the floor? Maybe. But ultimately the one takeaway is that when he can avoid major foul trouble, he's not a bad guy in the middle of the floor. Maybe not great, but not bad. Need to get him to at least be available for closer to 27 mpg next year instead of the 23.5 he's currently logging (even after four straight of 27+).

It would also help Edwards, by the way, b/c we'd be asking for 10-ish minutes out of him instead of 15-20.

Sidibe will be a senior next year. Officials often seem to favor seniors over younger players. Benefit of the doubt, etc. This phenomena is real and it will subtly help Sidibe in 2020-21.

Jesse-Sid-Dolezaj across the front line would be fine against most teams

I think he and Jesse will eliminate the handwringing over the 5 spot next year, nice combo to build the zone around.

With a JBA bonus thrown in for good measure.

That said - I highly doubt we see CDB AND Jesse in the game together.

It’s incredibly rare (of late) that we’d have 2 bigs who can play together effectively.
RickJack & AO are the last such pairing I can recall that worked well for us.

With a JBA bonus thrown in for good measure.

That said - I highly doubt we see CDB AND Jesse in the game together.

It’s incredibly rare (of late) that we’d have 2 bigs who can play together effectively.
RickJack & AO are the last such pairing I can recall that worked well for us.
I agree with that last part too. In fact, QG would be an even better D sub for Marek if JB ever wanted to just play his toughest back line in the zone on that end of the court, but that crew would stagnate the offense. Marek needs to be in there as a playmaker, and Q probably serves as the other with either Sid or Jesse. But if we need to just go pound for pound with some other wide bodies, I could see Sid sliding over to the 4 to have he and Jesse's wingspan in the zone together. But that would be a rare siting for sure.

Sounds like JBA serves as a stretch 4 with what's leftover

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom