Who is the greatest college QB ever? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Who is the greatest college QB ever?

It's almost an impossible question to answer but in the modern era Tebow would be tough to beat. I know he sucked in the pros but on the college level he dominated.

I wouldn't say best but someone that had a good college career and spent time in NFL but wasn't a big name was Ty Detmer

Colt Brennan too
To be considered the best ever or even in the conversation you have to at least have won the Heisman I think. That should be one of the criteria

I was talking about stat wise. He threw 50 plus tds in a season

Last edited:
I mean charlie ward won the heisman but do you think he is better overall than Brennan?

Matt Leinart or Tim Tebow.
Marcus Mariotta wouldn't crack my top 10 of all-time.

Exactly - if we were making a list of the greatest RBs ever, it would be lopsided towards the 1950s-1980s.

Id say into the 90s would lopsided. MacPherson 100% shouldve won the heisman in 87 but look at his stats vs the absurd numbers we see today. Frazier might be the guy that started the power shift to the qb position.

Tebow.

2nd place is distant.

Come on. Being a backup to Leak. Not being the best offensive player on your own team to Harvin.

UEO - I usually agree with you, but this is lazy.

Tommie Frazier and Vick both far outpaced Tebow without really even digging.

This isn't a knock against Tebow, but he played for arguably the second best college coach in the last decade and a team that had insane talent.

I'm on vacation in Colorado, so maybe I've had too many Balvenie 15s at altitude, but I expect more.

Happy new years and cheers to a healthy debate.

Tebow, and I don't think it's really that close. The guy is considered one of the best college football players, period.

Sammy Baugh

Reactions: cto
Mike Vick hands down. If VT had one competent offensive coach they would have won 2 national titles.

I'm going to throw out Steve McNair. Yes, he played in 1AA. But how many 1AA's have ever been picked in the Top 3 of the NFL draft, or received enough votes to place 3rd in the Heisman? He won the 1AA's version of the Heisman (Walter Payton Award).

Sophomore - 3,541 passing yards 39 TDs (throwing and running)
Junior - over 3,000 yards passing and 30 passing TDs.
Senior - NCAA record 5,799 yards, 59 total TD's, 155.4 QBR and placed third in the Heisman vote...as a 1AA player!

Overall, he finished with 14,500 passing yards, threw 119 tD's, had over 2,400 yards rushing and 33 rushing TD's. Passing yards and total yards are still FCS records (and holds a couple other records) and his passing was less than 100 yards shy of the FBS record.

Come on. Being a backup to Leak. Not being the best offensive player on your own team to Harvin.

This isn't a knock against Tebow, but he played for arguably the second best college coach in the last decade and a team that had insane talent.

I'm on vacation in Colorado, so maybe I've had too many Balvenie 15s at altitude, but I expect more.

Mike, you are completely correct, you have in fact had too many Balvenie 15s at altitude. ;)

Knocking Tebow for being a backup to Leak when Tebow was a true freshman and Leak was a senior on a team that won the national title is just crazy. If anything, that is a testament to Tebow's greatness, that he was ready at such a young age.

Mike Vick was a game changer. I watched every VT game just because of him.

I worked with a Big East referee at another job. We had long discussions about what he saw and heard on the field. Said hands down, in over 12 years of officiating (at that point) there was nobody comparable to Vick on the field.

Doesn't necessarily mean he was the greatest college QB ever, but, he was the greatest dual threat of all time, IMO.

Tebow.

2nd place is distant.
when tebow graduated, I agreed. i'd put him a hair behind manziel.

it would take a lot of time and i'd do it wrong, but i wish there was some era adjusted measure of QBs (the way that hockey nerd sites adjust for the total scoring) some measure of percent of total yards, tds, ints, etc) i always wonder what mcnabb and mcpherson would do in today's offenses

when tebow graduated, I agreed. i'd put him a hair behind manziel.

it would take a lot of time and i'd do it wrong, but i wish there was some era adjusted measure of QBs (the way that hockey nerd sites adjust for the total scoring) some measure of percent of total yards, tds, ints, etc) i always wonder what mcnabb and mcpherson would do in today's offenses
McNabb in a zone read would've been scary for the defense.

stat-wise, tebow crushed frazier.

and tebow should have 2 Heismans.

and tebow wsant replaced by his backup for 2 qtrs in a national championship game.

stat-wise, tebow crushed frazier.

and tebow should have 2 Heismans.

and tebow wsant replaced by his backup for 2 qtrs in a national championship game.
Who won the 2nd Heisman Tebow should have gotten? Ingram? Tebow was my 2nd guy I thought Leinart was better because I appreciated the pro style offense USC ran over the fun/gun Meyer offense which if you see Urban's system is a juggernaut if QBs can run the football.