Who is the most clutch Syracuse basketball player in program history? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Who is the most clutch Syracuse basketball player in program history?

felt like every big game that Pearl looked like he could light it up he got into foul trouble.

not sure making a half court shot to me is Ice material.

Lawrence Moten hit a 3 to beat Villanova his senior year. Not at the buzzer but with maybe 5-10 seconds left I think?

He also had 2 very unclutch moments his senior year. I don’t remember buzzer beaters but I feel like he had a lot of big hoops late in games throughout his career.

Edit, found the Moten shot:

Lawrence Moten hit a 3 to beat Villanova his senior year. Not at the buzzer but with maybe 5-10 seconds left I think?

He also had 2 very unclutch moments his senior year. I don’t remember buzzer beaters but I feel like he had a lot of big hoops late in games throughout his career.

Edit, found the Moten shot:

I'm sure there are Moten shots I've missed - it vaguely seems that he had some good moments against Seton Hall, Providence, and Nova. The Big East quarterfinal and Arkansas game cast a big shadow, apparently.

Speaking of Nova, Lazarus Sims definitely hit a last-second three to force OT against them in '96. We had a good number of buzzer-beaters that season.

They put Melo on the list with this opening line "Carmelo Anthony isn't known for making any last-second, game-winning shots,"

Oh so you mean... the definition of clutch?

So much wrong with that list.

It’s Gmac, then Pearl, then the debate begins. Billy Owens has to be top 5...
I couldn't disagree more. Billy was a great player but other than the two free throws, there wasn't a lot to hang your hat on. His last two games were losses to Nova and Richmond. I hoped Mike Lloyd would have got some love. Two big shots. A last second 3 vs G.W. sent the game in to OT and a last second 3 won the game at P.C..

I don't think the thread was asking for the most clutch individual play. When I think clutch, I'm talking about the guy that day in and day out was the guy that could be trusted in critical games. I can't believe that the General hasn't been mentioned. SHERMAN DOUGLAS was and is that guy. He never let you down. Probably the most underrated player in Syracuse history. As much as I loved watching the Pearl do his thing, SD was the BEST true point guard in Syracuse history. GMAC certainly belongs on this list too.

First, I loved reading that list and watching the videos!

Second, I have perhaps a stupid question but that has never stopped me before. I was actually surprised to see Battle #2 on the list and I am certainly not going to argue against it. But what I am wondering is if he could be a Kemba Walker-like figure for us? The team (due to injuries) has not come together for us in the way we had all hoped for/expected. But could Battle “save” us? I remember watching Kemba with awe in the NCAA tournament. Does Battle have that kind of ability?

First, I loved reading that list and watching the videos!

Second, I have perhaps a stupid question but that has never stopped me before. I was actually surprised to see Battle #2 on the list and I am certainly not going to argue against it. But what I am wondering is if he could be a Kemba Walker-like figure for us? The team (due to injuries) has not come together for us in the way we had all hoped for/expected. But could Battle “save” us? I remember watching Kemba with awe in the NCAA tournament. Does Battle have that kind of ability?
I really believe it is way too early to think that the team hasn't come together the way we want them to. We lost two games when we didn't have a pt guard that was totally prepared to play. Carey scored a lot of pts in that game but gave the ball up too much that led to easy hoops for the Huskies. If we can beat Buffalo, all in all, it wouldn't have been a bad early season. There is plenty of time for this team to mesh.

Battle has tons of talent, but is WAY WAY WAY too inconsistent to be compared to the likes of Sherman Douglas or Pearl Washington. Those guys brought it every minute of every game.

Battle has tons of talent, but is WAY WAY WAY too inconsistent to be compared to the likes of Sherman Douglas or Pearl Washington. Those guys brought it every minute of every game.
He may not be Pearl or Sherm, and obviously plays a different position, but in his role as a scorer on teams with limited offensive capabilities, Battle has been pretty damn good and pretty consistent, and has put the team on his back many nights.

GMac would get my vote. He wasn't the most efficient, but he was certainly the most clutch. He might have a 3-14 game, but with 10 seconds to play down 1, he's the guy who usually made the shot. And of course in the biggest game of the entire program's career, he only hit 6 or 7 threes in the first half of the championship game.

When he played, I was critical that he sometimes abused his "green light" in the post-Carmelo years, and I also don't think he was as good a point guard qua point guard as Billy Edelin was. But Gerry invented "Onions!", not Bill Raferty.

So much wrong with that list.

It’s Gmac, then Pearl, then the debate begins. Billy Owens has to be top 5...

Top 5 for Billy Owens? He had some of the worst misses at the end of games in program history.

If you are talking HISTORY, then it's Dave Bing
How could it be anyone else?

Pearl
GMac
John Wallace
Tyus Battle
Dave Johnson
Malachi
JCip

Last edited:
Add GMAC's performance against BYU in the NCAAT in 2004 - 43 points in a tight first round game. He was 9 of 13 from 3, but interestingly just 12 of 16 from the line.

The two most memorable personally for me were...

1. Billy Owens making those free throws against G-town. The atmosphere in the dome was the best I've ever experienced. 33, 015 can do that.

2. Being in Clemson for Tyus Battle's end-game 3-pointer. I've never felt the air go out of an arena quite so dramatically.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom