Who is the most overrated coach in the country? | Syracusefan.com

Who is the most overrated coach in the country?

Whitey23

Twitter Wizard
This is a coaches vote.

1. Roy Williams (North Carolina): 23 percent
  2. Rick Barnes (Texas): 17 percent
  3. Scott Drew (Baylor): 11 percent
  4. Steve Lavin (St. John's): 9 percent
  5. Jay Wright (Villanova): 6 percent
  6. Ben Howland (UCLA): 6 percent
  7. Jim Boeheim (Syracuse): 4 percent
  8. Tommy Amaker (Harvard): 4 percent
Also received votes: Too many to list.

cbssports

Nice ive been saying that about roy williams for the longest time.

Nice ive been saying that about roy williams for the longest time.

I'm not a Roy Boy fan, but I don't get that sentiment. Guy is a fantastic recruiter, has two NCs, has gotten to the NC game several more times, etc.

Seems like there would be a lot of coaches who belong on that list ahead of him.

Barnes. He's essentially useless on the court. Gets great players too.

Roy has won 2 titles at UNC, Dean Smith won 2 in his 30 plus years there.

Not saying Roy is better than Dean, Dean is incredible, (and he's the main reason we say things like "you could win a title at UNC") but the fact remains winning 2 titles in 8 or 9 years is pretty impressive. Plus he's made 2 other final four trips, if I am remembering right.

Plus, Roy also made it to some Final Fours in his time at Kansas, including making it to the title game his last year there. I wish I could remember who they lost to...

Roy saw that list and got all weepy, then told Bonnie Bernstein "I don't give a about that poll right now. I've got 13 kids in that locker room that I love."

Hes not good at managing players imo, had some mediocre seasons not to long ago to name a few, plus the poll response is on my side : )

Barnes. He's essentially useless on the court. Gets great players too.

It's funny--there was a time when I thought Rick Barnes was going to be a rising star. He had some really competitive teams at Providence, turned a perennial dog at Clemson into a winner, and his "system" seemed to be a winning brand of basketball. I figured that once he had some top players at his disposal--watch out.

And that's exactly what seemed to be happening at UT for awhile. But my estimation of him has dropped significantly in recent years.

Roy saw that list and got all weepy, then told Bonnie Bernstein "I don't give a about that poll right now. I've got 13 kids in that locker room that I love."
Brilliant

Rick barnes, for the talent he's had at Texas, couldn't coach to stink

It's funny--there was a time when I thought Rick Barnes was going to be a rising star. He had some really competitive teams at Providence, turned a perennial dog at Clemson into a winner, and his "system" seemed to be a winning brand of basketball. I figured that once he had some top players at his disposal--watch out.

And that's exactly what seemed to be happening at UT for awhile. But my estimation of him has dropped significantly in recent years.

I heard a radio show awhile back talking about the hoops coaching job at UT as the best in college sports. There is literally no pressure to win there (people only care about football there is the point), the place (Austin) recruits for itself, and the money is great. I wonder if that's made him not work as hard as the other coaches around the country.

I still think Williams is the most overrated. Recruiting at UNC and Kansas aren't hard. You offer, most accept. UNC is right behind Kentucky as far as best places to recruit to. And that comparison to Dean Smith isn't really fair - I mean in terms of time at the job at UNC. Two titles in 24 years. That's what Roy did at UNC and Kansas. Two titles in 36 years (plus 11 final fours) is what Smith did. I hope Roy matches him and no more. And now that SU is in the ACC, we can help make that happen.

As far as Drew and Barnes; some people are coaches and some people are recruiters. They are both recruiters.

Not surprised at Jay Wright at all, always felt he was ridiculously overrated.

I find it hilarious that the guy who coaches at Harvard can be considered overrated. But he did have a rough go of it at Michigan. But his team last year was pretty good.

And that comparison to Dean Smith isn't really fair - I mean in terms of time at the job at UNC. Two titles in 24 years. That's what Roy did at UNC and Kansas. Two titles in 36 years (plus 11 final fours) is what Smith did. I hope Roy matches him and no more. And now that SU is in the ACC, we can help make that happen.

The comparison to Smith wasn't meant to be fair; of course it isn't. Dean Smith is probably the greatest college coach of all time, and if he's not, he's in the top 3 or 5 or whatever small number you want to pick. and he won 2 titles. Winning titles is hard, no matter what school you're at.

But I was responding to the idea that basically anyone can win a title at UNC. They've won 4 national titles in the last 50 years or whatever it is, and Roy has 2 of them. It's not like they were winning the title every year before Roy got there.

The comparison to Smith wasn't meant to be fair; of course it isn't. Dean Smith is probably the greatest college coach of all time, and if he's not, he's in the top 3 or 5 or whatever small number you want to pick. and he won 2 titles. Winning titles is hard, no matter what school you're at.

But I was responding to the idea that basically anyone can win a title at UNC. They've won 4 national titles in the last 50 years or whatever it is, and Roy has 2 of them. It's not like they were winning the title every year before Roy got there.

I still consider Roy to only have one title. The first one is Dougherty's or however you spell that.

And I didn't mean fair because it was Dean Smith, I meant the overall time you quoted - Roy's time at UNC. I was just trying to say you have to consider his whole time at Kansas and UNC to compare to Coach Smith.

This is a coaches vote.

1. Roy Williams (North Carolina): 23 percent
  2. Rick Barnes (Texas): 17 percent
  3. Scott Drew (Baylor): 11 percent
  4. Steve Lavin (St. John's): 9 percent
  5. Jay Wright (Villanova): 6 percent
  6. Ben Howland (UCLA): 6 percent
  7. Jim Boeheim (Syracuse): 4 percent
  8. Tommy Amaker (Harvard): 4 percent
Also received votes: Too many to list.

cbssports
Except for Scott Drew,that's pretty much an outstanding group of coaches. Well done coaching morons.

Except for Scott Drew,that's pretty much a outstanding group of coaches. Well done coaching morons.

And who had the balls to vote for Steve Lavin as he battles cancer. That's just low.