Who needs a ring now? | Syracusefan.com

Who needs a ring now?

jdubs30

Living Legend
Ok so it's obvious LeBron was the guy talked about the most as far as "not having a ring" goes, but he got his, so who does that pressure fall onto now (it won't be nearly as much as LeBron had, but still)

I think in any order you can talk about:
Dwight Howard
Melo
Chris Paul

These guys can be talked about if they don't win one in 3 years or so:
Deron Williams
Derrick Rose
Kevin Durant
Russell Westbrook
Blake Griffin

I think overall D12 is the #1 guy, Melo #2. Thoughts? Anyone else missing from the list?

I think the better question is -

Does Lebron need to win another one more than any other player needs to get his first?

I say yes. Let's not forget that Lebron was supposed to be the greatest player of all time.

Does Lebron need to win another one more than any other player needs to get his first?

I say yes. Let's not forget that Lebron was supposed to be the greatest player of all time.
he also kind of dug himself a hole when he said this.

Ok so it's obvious LeBron was the guy talked about the most as far as "not having a ring" goes, but he got his, so who does that pressure fall onto now (it won't be nearly as much as LeBron had, but still)

I think in any order you can talk about:
Dwight Howard
Melo
Chris Paul

These guys can be talked about if they don't win one in 3 years or so:
Deron Williams
Derrick Rose
Kevin Durant
Russell Westbrook
Blake Griffin

I think overall D12 is the #1 guy, Melo #2. Thoughts? Anyone else missing from the list?

wouldn't Deron Williams be lumped in with Chris Paul. I believe they were the same draft class

dunno, but gawd do I hate lebron. more now than before

I think Dwight is the guy also. Especially with the way the Stan thing went down.

wouldn't Deron Williams be lumped in with Chris Paul. I believe they were the same draft class
They were - I feel like Chris Paul is under the spotlight more. For the same reason, I feel like the pressure is on Durant a little more than Carmelo. Yes, Carmelo plays in NY and made headlines while he and Denver were going back and forth, but I think people expect a ring from Durant first.

Just saw on another forum that 4 out the top 5 picks in the 03 class all have rings. Obviously Darko didn't do anything to help out with his, but mildly interesting nonetheless.

I don't think Deron is on the same level as CP3; you could argue that they are both entering their primes right now and CP3 is on a playoff team with Blake Griffin, while Deron is on the Nets with not much talent (unless they get Howard). Williams was on good teams in Utah, but he was young and they were never really true contenders to win the title.

I think Deron is a star, but I don't think has the ability to carry a team like CP3 does, so he gets a break.

They were - I feel like Chris Paul is under the spotlight more. For the same reason, I feel like the pressure is on Durant a little more than Carmelo. Yes, Carmelo plays in NY and made headlines while he and Denver were going back and forth, but I think people expect a ring from Durant first.

Durant is 23 playing in OKC. It was an achievement just to win the West so early in his career. People expect him to win a ring soon but that is only because he is on a great team already. They'll still love him regardless.

Carmelo is 28 playing in the largest city and media market for a team that went all-in on him and has seen zero results. Plus the Knicks have not won a championship in going on 40 years.

All signs point to Carmelo over Durant. Melo is probably tied with Howard since it's fair to blame both for sabotaging franchises.

Durant is 23 playing in OKC. It was an achievement just to win the West so early in his career. People expect him to win a ring soon but that is only because he is on a great team already. They'll still love him regardless.

Carmelo is 28 playing in the largest city and media market for a team that went all-in on him and has seen zero results. Plus the Knicks have not won a championship in going on 40 years.

All signs point to Carmelo over Durant. Melo is probably tied with Howard since it's fair to blame both for sabotaging franchises.
Agreed about Durant. Not even LeBron was criticized for not having a title at 23. It's ridiculous to think a kid that young should have a title already; especially when you consider who was still titleless when he came into the league (Bosh, Bron, Dirk, Gasol). I think Durant has a 3-4 year window before he starts getting the pressure.

I think Melo deserves a break for these playoffs though. Lin was hurt, Amare is a bum, and everyone else was a one dimensional player. Obviously it doesn't appear he works well with Stoudemire, and if they can't move that contract, it might cost Melo a shot at getting a title. Doesn't help that Bron/Wade/Bosh aren't going anywhere either.

It's definitely Anthony. He's in his prime, one of the NBA's most recognizable names, and playing for one of the NBA's biggest franchises.

IMO Anthony is a tough guy to build a team around. Durant, Lebron, Howard, Chris Paul not as much.

I really don't think Anthony has been on a team with real good chemistry yet including the western conference final team.
They roll the dice to much on offense which works in college for 40 mintues with the right talents, but not so much in the NBA especially in 7 game series.

And I am not saying Anthony is a bad defender as we hear hes still very solid, but hes more of a make a super play kind of defender then a all over the floor never sit out a play one. Coincidentally hes both on the offensive end.

Melo is one of the top 3 best scorers in the game. Thats what he is. The fact nobody can figure out how to build a defensive juggernaut to take the pressure off his offense and to give his offense somethign to play off of is quite frankly boggling. Congrats to whoever figures it out first.

IMO Anthony is a tough guy to build a team around. Durant, Lebron, Howard, Chris Paul not as much.

I really don't think Anthony has been on a team with real good chemistry yet including the western conference final team.
They roll the dice to much on offense which works in college for 40 mintues with the right talents, but not so much in the NBA especially in 7 game series.

And I am not saying Anthony is a bad defender as we hear hes still very solid, but hes more of a make a super play kind of defender then a all over the floor never sit out a play one. Coincidentally hes both on the offensive end.

Melo is one of the top 3 best scorers in the game. Thats what he is. The fact nobody can figure out how to build a defensive juggernaut to take the pressure off his offense and to give his offense somethign to play off of is quite frankly boggling. Congrats to whoever figures it out first.

That's because Melo is a #2 and not a #1. And when he realizes that, he'll get a ring. Which will happen later in his career. And you're right...he's not as bad a defender as everyone thinks he is.

44cuse

if he brings the same refs i say he'll win ten

That's because Melo is a #2 and not a #1. And when he realizes that, he'll get a ring. Which will happen later in his career. And you're right...he's not as bad a defender as everyone thinks he is.

44cuse
What does this mean? Who are number 1's? Melo will win a championship when he learns how to pass better. He has the ability, he just has to do it. Also the players have to hit their shots, which they didnt in the Miami series which will make any star player look bad because the whole defense focuses on him with ease. As far as defense goes, the Knicks could be a superior defensive team...if they didnt have Amare, but unfortunately I just dont see how the Knicks can get the pieces they need, play the defense they have to, and get championship chemisty with Amare in that lineup. It just doesnt seem to fit.

I just want to see Steve Nash and maybe T-Mac and Grant Hill win titles; but mainly Nash.

What does this mean? Who are number 1's? Melo will win a championship when he learns how to pass better. He has the ability, he just has to do it. Also the players have to hit their shots, which they didnt in the Miami series which will make any star player look bad because the whole defense focuses on him with ease. As far as defense goes, the Knicks could be a superior defensive team...if they didnt have Amare, but unfortunately I just dont see how the Knicks can get the pieces they need, play the defense they have to, and get championship chemisty with Amare in that lineup. It just doesnt seem to fit.

LeBron is a #1 (although I get it that there are those here who say this is Wades team for whatever ridiculous reason).
Kobe is a #1.
Durant is a #1.

Melo will win when he is a (albeit a very good one) complimentary asset. That's why he should have gone and played with Dwight Howard instead of picking location. Melo is great player, better than most realize. But he does one thing excellent (score) and everything else average. He can takeover a game in any other way. He can contribute, but he can't take a game over any other way.

Also, I don't think the Knicks are that good. With or without Amare. Personally, I think they are pretty close to their ceiling right now.

44cuse

I just want to see Steve Nash and maybe T-Mac and Grant Hill win titles; but mainly Nash.

See: Heat, Miami. Well see if it happens (for Nash I mean).

44cuse

LeBron is a #1 (although I get it that there are those here who say this is Wades team for whatever ridiculous reason).
Kobe is a #1.
Durant is a #1.

Melo will win when he is a (albeit a very good one) complimentary asset. That's why he should have gone and played with Dwight Howard instead of picking location. Melo is great player, better than most realize. But he does one thing excellent (score) and everything else average. He can takeover a game in any other way. He can contribute, but he can't take a game over any other way.

Also, I don't think the Knicks are that good. With or without Amare. Personally, I think they are pretty close to their ceiling right now.

44cuse
Do you feel that way if the Birds Right case holds? That gives the Knicks the ability to resign Lin and Novak AND keep their MLE and LLE. People rumoring names like Nash, Mayo, Odom possibly coming to NY this offseason.

Do you feel that way if the Birds Right case holds? That gives the Knicks the ability to resign Lin and Novak AND keep their MLE and LLE. People rumoring names like Nash, Mayo, Odom possibly coming to NY this offseason.

I don't know. I was actually going to ask you and Knicks411 that in the other thread.

44cuse

This Knicks team isn't built badly for Melo.

They need a PG like Nash.
They need to get rid of Amare.
I think Bosh/KG would fit with Melo better.

Shumpert/Smith/Novak/Fields/Chandler aren't bad role players for him.

This Knicks team isn't built badly for Melo.

They need a PG like Nash.
They need to get rid of Amare.
I think Bosh/KG would fit with Melo better.

Shumpert/Smith/Novak/Fields/Chandler aren't bad role players for him.
KG or Odom are two PF's the Knicks could realistically get in FA that would both be upgrades over Amare in terms of "fit". Too bad Amare's contract is so bad because I really think he could be very good on another team.