Who Plays Third Attack Spot? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Who Plays Third Attack Spot?

What Is Best Option For The Third Attack Spot?

• Griffin Cook

Votes: 26 70.3%
  • Brendan Curry

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Tucker Dordevic

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Owen Seebold/Other

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm rooting for Cook to succeed. He's on my fantasy team, and I think Syracuse needs some more local kids to do well.

I'm not saying that Cook is as talented as Dordevic, but that isn't really the question. The question is what combination is most effective. Until they play against teams in the spring, I don't think they will really have an answer for that, so I expect to see experimentation pretty deep into the spring.

If the attack unit is Scanlan, Dordevic and Rehfuss, Dordevic probably draws the top defender on the other team and that really opens things up for Rehfuss and Scanlan. If Cook replaces Dordevic, the top defender then probably covers Rehfuss, who is probably a bit more of a dodging threat than Scanlan. That opens things up for Cook and Scanlan and Dordevic if he's playing midfield.

I'm glad the coaches are planning ahead and having Dordevic prepare like he'll be playing attack. He's a hard worker and will succeed wherever he plays.

The staff is clearly high on Cook's potential and he is probably on top of the depth chart to be the third starting attackman as of now. That said, it seems to make a lot of sense to see how Dordevic performs at attack. And if he clicks there, he could get the role, with Cook getting in a lot as the 4th guy. Imagine the invert possibilities with two former middies--Dordevic and Scanlan--on attack. Definitely a pick-your-poison problem for defenses to choose who to put the short sticks on. And we do have to cross our fingers that Dordevic's foot holds up for three more years.

Hard to know where Dordevic will be until he's health That said Scanlan did a lot of damage on the right wing at Loyola catching passes from Spencer at X which is where I could see Dordevic playing as an attack. It would seem to me that Dordevic and Scanlan would be playing in a similar spot at attack. Rehfuss on the left wing or X and Cook at X. But who knows, maybe they run Dordevic out of the box like Bernhardt at UM.

The staff is clearly high on Cook's potential and he is probably on top of the depth chart to be the third starting attackman as of now. That said, it seems to make a lot of sense to see how Dordevic performs at attack. And if he clicks there, he could get the role, with Cook getting in a lot as the 4th guy. Imagine the invert possibilities with two former middies--Dordevic and Scanlan--on attack. Definitely a pick-your-poison problem for defenses to choose who to put the short sticks on. And we do have to cross our fingers that Dordevic's foot holds up for three more years.
Good point. I'm sure the coaches are concerned with the potential for re-injury in the decision of where to play Dordevic. At attack, he would be on the field all the time against a long with a lot of direction changes, quick plants, weight shifts around the goal, chasing on clears. At middie, he'd dodge in quick bursts of speed, fight for ground balls in scrums all over the field, run from one end to the other, defend, etc. I might begin with him at middie every other shift with the first line or bring him out of the box at attack every second shift. I would be surprised to see him at any position on regular shifts. Maybe the fourth attack. Therefore, I think that the third attack will be someone other than Dordevic. I wish Cook had gone to one of the private lacrosse powerhouses, IMG, for example. I believe he would have been a lot more ready than he was last year. I'm guessing it will take him at least another year to become a significant contributor.

I’m a little shocked at the Cook heavy responses. I think we could all agree that Dordo had a far superior freshman season. Physically he is superior. Based off of tape I wouldn’t even say Cook is faster than Tucker. I think we could all rationally say that if healthy Tucker will be the better player of the two next year.

And something not mentioned I don’t believe was the fact that you take Buttermore or Lipka off first line by playing Tucker at Middy. That in turn only leaves one second line spot for Magnan, the kims, JJ, or Quinn. The trickle down has an impact.

I see the best situation is playing Cook as the 4th attackman and rarely in the midfield. Let him grow and be the unquestioned replacement for Rehfuss in 2021.

I’m a little shocked at the Cook heavy responses. I think we could all agree that Dordo had a far superior freshman season. Physically he is superior. Based off of tape I wouldn’t even say Cook is faster than Tucker. I think we could all rationally say that if healthy Tucker will be the better player of the two next year.

And something not mentioned I don’t believe was the fact that you take Buttermore or Lipka off first line by playing Tucker at Middy. That in turn only leaves one second line spot for Magnan, the kims, JJ, or Quinn. The trickle down has an impact.

I see the best situation is playing Cook as the 4th attackman and rarely in the midfield. Let him grow and be the unquestioned replacement for Rehfuss in 2021.
Ageeed 100%. Liked Cook coming out of high school but his size really concerns me. I love him when he’s matched up w a shorty but I’m not sure if he can beat a pole, and no way he becomes a crease guy. I think Tucker had an outstanding freshman season, and when 100% healthy (hopefully) I think he is gonna even take that next step and become special. Also wonder if the staff plans on running out a 3rd midfield w guys like Magnan Quinn or the Kims

Talking about different levels of athleticism. Unlike Dordevic .Cook is neither fast or explosive but instead shifty with quick short steps so separating will be difficult unless mindset is aggressive. Forewarned last year about the pressures of a local kid living up to overhype and how many frosh including Rice struggled in first year because takes time to adapt Cook dropping several passes to stick was simply due to rushing as adjusting to speed of college game,. He was not ready to be a primary but running secondary at a somewhat unfamiliar position didn't help .
Do believe we shall see a different player this year. He has very good lax skills with both hands that were not on display because of the aforementioned tentativeness which should dissipate. Let him work at attack solely for full focus.The skillset is there and his aggressive rides show the right attitude and a willingness to engage despite size. Think he will eventually emerge as a primary player whether that be now or later.

As far as third spot, sure staff has idea heading into fall but hope all legit candidates get opportunity to show including runs with Scanlan and Refhuss

As I noted in my previous response to your original post your comparing apples to oranges when looking at Cook vs Dordevic. Dordevic started at midfield and played that exclusively his entire frosh season. Cook was playing out of position on the 2nd line midfield for about 85% of the season. Its almost impossible to make a comparison between the two. Clearly at this point Dordevic has had more on field success and should be starting at some position coming the first game in February. Cook struggled down the stretch and did not look comfortable the last few game so the season That said people are forgetting that Dordevic also struggled down the stretch of his frosh season as he hit a bit of a wall. Now that he has missed an entire year being injured its going to take him sometime to get back up to speed. Cook was moved to attack full time as soon as the season was over and the staff is extremely high on him. Dordevic will likely practice at both positions (assuming no other attackmen really flashes in the fall or pre-season) and should see time at both positions next season but I don't know if the staff will start him at attack over Cook when Cook is the natural attackmen and will be working their exclusively the entire fall while Tucker continues to rehab from injury.

As far as the midfield goes, the glut is going to be there regardless of whether Dordevic is playing attack or midfield. SU will have the ability to run three very talented midfield lines and should at minimum be running the 2nd line probably every 2nd possession. Trimbo/Curry/Buttermore and then Lipka/Magnan/Quinn/ plus who ever breaks out of the pack.

Ageeed 100%. Liked Cook coming out of high school but his size really concerns me. I love him when he’s matched up w a shorty but I’m not sure if he can beat a pole, and no way he becomes a crease guy. I think Tucker had an outstanding freshman season, and when 100% healthy (hopefully) I think he is gonna even take that next step and become special. Also wonder if the staff plans on running out a 3rd midfield w guys like Magnan Quinn or the Kims

I believe two of cooks goals last year were unassisted dodging against a long pole for what its worth. I recall him getting a step on a pole on a couple other occasions, definitely once against ND, but he got stage fright and passed it off. He does a good job keeping his head up while dodging as well and I see him drawing a lot of slides and getting assists in the future.

Unfortunately I totally agree with you about him not becoming a crease attack guy. Finishing/being deceptive with his shots seemed to be his main weakness last year and that is basically an unacceptable weakness to have if you want to start at attack, even if you consider yourself to be a QB type. Finishing is why Solomon made the big bucks, obviously it is why Voigt played at all, and it is an underrated aspect of Rehfuss' game. However it is also possible that some of the times Cook got stuffed was due to freshman jitters. A large part of good finishing is mental/being able to stay relaxed and not overthink things.

I believe two of cooks goals last year were unassisted dodging against a long pole for what its worth. I recall him getting a step on a pole on a couple other occasions, definitely once against ND, but he got stage fright and passed it off. He does a good job keeping his head up while dodging as well and I see him drawing a lot of slides and getting assists in the future.

Unfortunately I totally agree with you about him not becoming a crease attack guy. Finishing/being deceptive with his shots seemed to be his main weakness last year and that is basically an unacceptable weakness to have if you want to start at attack, even if you consider yourself to be a QB type. Finishing is why Solomon made the big bucks, obviously it is why Voigt played at all, and it is an underrated aspect of Rehfuss' game. However it is also possible that some of the times Cook got stuffed was due to freshman jitters. A large part of good finishing is mental/being able to stay relaxed and not overthink things.
Thank you for pointing those instances out-now that I think about it I think I can recall a couple times where he was able to get a step. I remember he absolutely torched an Army defender, then simply couldn’t finish as you pointed out. Sounds like he just needs to slow the game down a little bit and become more comfortable. Hopeful it could happen this season, but if not better late than never.

It is really hard to predict how a player will develop/improve between freshman and sophomore years, obvious I know. In his freshman year, Kevin Rice played in 6 games and had 2 assists both coming against Rutgers. Now, I'm not saying that Cook will be the next Rice, but watching Rice play as a freshman I couldn't tell that he would become an AA. The work he put in to make himself better each year of his college career was very impressive. Which also brings to mind Sergio Salcido. After his freshman year, who saw him becoming a 2 time AA ? Not me and I was pulling for the kid.

If Tucker and Chase are both able to demonstrate they can play attack in our offense, maybe the coaches will bounce them around and use some creative single or double inverts to get the match ups they want. Get the 2 man game going with some different types of picks out of the invert(s). Who knows. As I said earlier, everyone just got better with Chase committing and Tucker coming back. The coaches know their options just expanded and probably are giddy waiting to see how they'll be able to leverage the strengths of all the talent.

As I noted in my previous response to your original post your comparing apples to oranges when looking at Cook vs Dordevic. Dordevic started at midfield and played that exclusively his entire frosh season. Cook was playing out of position on the 2nd line midfield for about 85% of the season. Its almost impossible to make a comparison between the two. Clearly at this point Dordevic has had more on field success and should be starting at some position coming the first game in February. Cook struggled down the stretch and did not look comfortable the last few game so the season That said people are forgetting that Dordevic also struggled down the stretch of his frosh season as he hit a bit of a wall. Now that he has missed an entire year being injured its going to take him sometime to get back up to speed. Cook was moved to attack full time as soon as the season was over and the staff is extremely high on him. Dordevic will likely practice at both positions (assuming no other attackmen really flashes in the fall or pre-season) and should see time at both positions next season but I don't know if the staff will start him at attack over Cook when Cook is the natural attackmen and will be working their exclusively the entire fall while Tucker continues to rehab from injury.

As far as the midfield goes, the glut is going to be there regardless of whether Dordevic is playing attack or midfield. SU will have the ability to run three very talented midfield lines and should at minimum be running the 2nd line probably every 2nd possession. Trimbo/Curry/Buttermore and then Lipka/Magnan/Quinn/ plus who ever breaks out of the pack.
You make a lot of good points about Tucker’s first year and some struggles he had down the stretch. I understand what you mean when you say Cook wasn’t afforded the opportunity to play Attack exclusively as Tucker was in the midfield. However my larger point is that Tucker is a better player than Cook. We can’t say that much of anything Cook put on tape last year was impressive. So placing him in that third spot is purely projection of great improvement. While placing Tucker there isn’t projection because he already showed he deserves to be a starter. Would it not be smarter to have Cook as the 4th attackman and have Buttermore on the first line instead of the second? Going off tape Cook Was not a better offensive player than any of the starters as well as Buttermore and in reality Dearth. I’m making my decision based off watching every game Cook and Tucker played. However I fee anyone who says Cook should start is only making that call projecting a leap without any college tape to back up the choice. I don’t doubt that Cook can be good I just don’t see him being better than Tucker or any of the first line middies.

I really wanna make this clear I’m rooting for Griffin Cook to Succeed. I want him to turn into a really good player. I loved his heart he showed on the field. I love that he’s one of those guys who bleeds Orange. What I didn’t love was his play last year. Two years ago I loved Tucker’s play. My whole reasoning is all based on production and watching them both, Tucker was fluid and comfortable from day one and Cook was the opposite. I’m excited to see his growth and I hope I’m proven wrong and he’s a stud next year. However, with the information we have right now, my opinion is that Tucker is the far superior option.

You make a lot of good points about Tucker’s first year and some struggles he had down the stretch. I understand what you mean when you say Cook wasn’t afforded the opportunity to play Attack exclusively as Tucker was in the midfield. However my larger point is that Tucker is a better player than Cook. We can’t say that much of anything Cook put on tape last year was impressive. So placing him in that third spot is purely projection of great improvement. While placing Tucker there isn’t projection because he already showed he deserves to be a starter. Would it not be smarter to have Cook as the 4th attackman and have Buttermore on the first line instead of the second? Going off tape Cook Was not a better offensive player than any of the starters as well as Buttermore and in reality Dearth. I’m making my decision based off watching every game Cook and Tucker played. However I fee anyone who says Cook should start is only making that call projecting a leap without any college tape to back up the choice. I don’t doubt that Cook can be good I just don’t see him being better than Tucker or any of the first line middies.

You bring up a lot of good points. I won't argue with you that Dordevic is the more talented of the two (and I would say Buttermore looks more deserving of starting time than Cook at this point), but it isn't solely about talent or skill in this case - the coaches also have to consider how guys mesh as a unit and who might play better in certain scenarios and matchups. I really like Dordevic's skill set and I think he brings things to the team that frankly no one else does. But I don't know if attack is the best place for him, especially if Scanlan is on the team.

Watching tape of Scanlan you can easily see how he might transition to attack, he could essentially play the same spot on the field as before, the right-hand wing. To compliment that I think you need players on attack who are comfortable playing behind the goal. I'm not doubting that Dordevic could do it, I've just said that I don't think we've seen him do it before. Syracuse doesn't invert much (which I think is why they struggled so much against this tactic on defense last year, but that's for another day). The only midfielder I have seen actually invert successfully is Curry, and again, I think while he could do it, he'd be more valuable at midfield. At least with Cook you wouldn't be forcing a round peg into a square hole.

Progression is really hard to predict, obviously. For every Kevin Rice and Sergio Salcido, we get about 5 guys who never take that next step. I think the smart thing to do is see how much Cook has improved and give him the first shot. If he still looks hesitant and not ready for prime time, and none of the other 5 or so attackman are ready either, then you consider moving one of the midfielders down.

I could picture a scenario where Desko rotates Cook and either Seebold (or another attackman) for most of the game, then in crunch time he'd slide a midfielder down and bump Buttermore or Lipka from the second line. I think he'd get credit for giving everyone a little bit of what they most want (Buttermore on the first line, Cook and someone else can say they are getting PT, and not sacrificing the playing time of the starting midfielders). Might be too many moving pieces but we'll see.

You bring up a lot of good points. I won't argue with you that Dordevic is the more talented of the two (and I would say Buttermore looks more deserving of starting time than Cook at this point), but it isn't solely about talent or skill in this case - the coaches also have to consider how guys mesh as a unit and who might play better in certain scenarios and matchups. I really like Dordevic's skill set and I think he brings things to the team that frankly no one else does. But I don't know if attack is the best place for him, especially if Scanlan is on the team.

Watching tape of Scanlan you can easily see how he might transition to attack, he could essentially play the same spot on the field as before, the right-hand wing. To compliment that I think you need players on attack who are comfortable playing behind the goal. I'm not doubting that Dordevic could do it, I've just said that I don't think we've seen him do it before. Syracuse doesn't invert much (which I think is why they struggled so much against this tactic on defense last year, but that's for another day). The only midfielder I have seen actually invert successfully is Curry, and again, I think while he could do it, he'd be more valuable at midfield. At least with Cook you wouldn't be forcing a round peg into a square hole.

Progression is really hard to predict, obviously. For every Kevin Rice and Sergio Salcido, we get about 5 guys who never take that next step. I think the smart thing to do is see how much Cook has improved and give him the first shot. If he still looks hesitant and not ready for prime time, and none of the other 5 or so attackman are ready either, then you consider moving one of the midfielders down.

I could picture a scenario where Desko rotates Cook and either Seebold (or another attackman) for most of the game, then in crunch time he'd slide a midfielder down and bump Buttermore or Lipka from the second line. I think he'd get credit for giving everyone a little bit of what they most want (Buttermore on the first line, Cook and someone else can say they are getting PT, and not sacrificing the playing time of the starting midfielders). Might be too many moving pieces but we'll see.

The other thing with Tucker is the nature of his injury. Lacrosse inherently has a lot of directional change, but I would argue that attackmen require more of this and could more readily lead to reinjury for the type of leg injury he has.

Plenty of thought-provoking points in this thread. Having multiple options is a good "problem" to have, and as someone pointed out, how the groups perform as a unit will be key.

Seemingly every August, Dick MacPherson would be asked about his unsettled O-line. His answer was often "we'll get the best guys on the field." Before long, the backup center or third guard who was blocked by one of the studs would slide to a guard spot and the line would be better. My sense is that tghat's the approach Desko should take.

The midfield is deeper than the other units, with four (and possibly five, thought, I think Lipka is a tick behind the other guys) potential starters, while the logical third attack candidates -- especially Seebold -- bring questions. The six I'd roll out the first practice when everyone's healthy would be Scanlan, Curry, Dordevic, Trimboli, Rehfuss, Buttermore. If it turns out the attack functions better with Cook than a converted mid, well, the midfield just got deeper. But I also like the possibility of Cook as a change-of-pace fourth attack, especially if we run up against a team with a big-and-slow element to it.

Another great point is that we should wait to see what we have in year 2 of Cook. In any sport, at almost any level, that's the year that players tend to make a leap; it was a good point that Rice was a three-point guy after one year ... then scored 219 the next three. (And if you believe SU's 2019 media guide, Donahue did exactly the same thing, with the same point totals in each year. But I digress.)

I wonder, too, if there's someone who's not a starter who might make sense as a man-up specialist -- basically, taking someone who's not going to see a ton of PT, but has a skill that can be leveraged -- maybe in the way Desko used DeJoe. I haven't seen enough of him to commit to anything, but Quinn seemed to be a guy who is both looking to shoot, and capable of scoring in different ways (OTOH, he's not particularly big). People's descriptions of Aburn also make him sound like someone who might fit the bill).

Prior to Scanlan, I had heard that Dordevic was almost definitely eyeing a move to attack and that he would have likely been one of the 3 starters. Now that Scanlan is with us, I think that 3rd attack spot is going to be either Cook or Dordevic, maybe shared between them a bit? Maybe play with bringing the guy sitting out in at mid at times, either to draw a pole away from another mid?

One thing that is REALLY EXCITING, for the first time in many years, we could very well have 3 very capable dodgers at attack. Over the last 6 to 8 years, we've had two "ball-carriers" and one "off-ball" guy. This year both Scanlan and Rehfuss are capable dodgers (and off-ball players) and it looks like all the guys in line for that 3rd spot are all also proficient at both dodging and sniping.

Capable being operative description.

Enhanced capability over last year for sure as three are better than two but the tradeoff is Voigt 's lazer will be missing. Either Curry or Dordevic would be the speediest dodger at attack. If neither drops then Refhuss would be bookended by Solomon like dodgers which is fine .

Enhanced capability over last year for sure as three are better than two but the tradeoff is Voigt 's lazer will be missing. Either Curry or Dordevic would be the speediest dodger at attack. If neither drops then Refhuss would be bookended by Solomon like dodgers which is fine .
Maybe Buttermore can take over for Voigt, he shot 40% last year plus he can bring the heat.

Maybe Buttermore can take over for Voigt, he shot 40% last year plus he can bring the heat.

Buttermore is way to valuable at midfield with his outside shooting to even be considered at attack. He also, as far as I know doesn't have prior attack experience like Dordevic and Curry. SU has plenty of options for that third spot, at least 6+ guys. Just cant see any scenario where he sees time at attack.

Losing Voigt will be tough but you would anticipate his replacement will be a better overall attackmen. As good as Voigt was last year his complete inability to dodge was a liability in some games. Wont be able to replicate his finishing ability but it will be a lot harder to double pole the midfield now

Whoever the 3rd att is, a reasonable range of production to expect should be 35-45 points playing off Refhuss, Scanlan and others in our system

Wondering how people see the man-up unit shaping up? Last year SU just went with their standard starting lineup, which I don't remember them ever doing before. They finished at 49% which is about what you are looking for, and much better than '18's 38%. Solomon led the unit with 7 man up goals, followed by Trimboli and Voigt with 6 each.

Four members of the unit return (Trimboli, Lipka, Rhefuss and Curry) and obviously I think it's a lock to say that Scanlan will fill one of the two open spots. Which leaves one spot open. I'd say the two leading candidates are Dordevic and Buttermore, but I wonder if it would be strange to have so many midfielders on a man-up unit?

Also, I think Scanlan would easily replace Solomon on the right hand side, but that leaves the left side wide open. Dordevic is a righty while I think Buttermore is a lefty. But again it feels like you'd want someone comfortable playing around GLE. Maybe this is an opportunity for Aburn or Donnely, or even Seebold (who I believe is a lefty, not really sure about the other two).

Lastly, with Dordevic coming back it obviously could get a little awkward as Lipka is also a returning starter. Unless he moves to attack Dordevic is likely taking Lipka's starting spot on the midfield. Does he also take his man-up spot too? Even before Dordevic got hurt, I thought Lipka could be a good addition to the man-up unit, but with that said, he didn't score a man-up goal last year. You could solve this problem by just replacing Voigt with Dordevic and keeping both happy, but I don't know if that would throw the balance of the unit off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom