Who redshirts? | Syracusefan.com

Who redshirts?

Who redshirts?

• Buddy

• Washington

• Braswell

Results are only viewable after voting.
1e9.png

Depending how fast his knee heals might be best for Washington to red shirt.

JB said he'd be ready to play by mid-September in one of Donna's articles on Tyus returning. Still about a month and a half before the season starts but he is a redshirt possibility to consider for sure.

I think we press more so more guys see some limited minutes just to spread the load out.. If anyone was to RS I think it would be braswell but we really only have 4 forwards so not sure we dont still have a need but we may end up running hughes/battle down there and fill that spot out with the 2 extra guards.

is Buddy that much of a sacred cow that he won't red shirt b/c of dad's retirement deadline. I would think he makes the most sense but i'm sure other circumstances will prevent it.

I went with Washington. 5 guards is too many. You know Battle/Frank will be gone in a year (and play 30+ minutes this year), which opens up a spot for him in the rotation next year. I think Buddy stays on board as a potential sharpshooter, and Braswell is an injury away from getting meaningful minutes.

Hasn't so much as squared up in college and he's already been declared the best shooter. Fans...

Yeah he's not our best shooter. That's a preposterous opinion. Battle is that x 100 for now. Boeheim may end up that but he's gonna need to learn the speed of ACC hoops.

JB said he'd be ready to play by mid-September in one of Donna's articles on Tyus returning. Still about a month and a half before the season starts but he is a redshirt possibility to consider for sure.

With him looking at very little playing time and basically losing an entire off-season to work on his game, I think it would make sense. He’d be 3rd string PG. Then he’d only have two years left, after barely playing at all for 2 years.

If he redshirts, it gives him time to catch up on time he missed while hurt, and he’d be looking at having 3 years where he is much more likely to be in the mix for playing time.

Why are people voting for Braswell? Are they assuming Hughes will slide to the 3 when Oshae or Marek need a breather? If not, that makes no sense to me.

Hasn't so much as squared up in college and he's already been declared the best shooter. Fans...
Well he has been referred to as "one of the best shooters in the class" by some recruiting "experts" and his coach said he was "the best shooter he's ever seen come through the NEPSAC" which has seen some excellent players come through that league. No one else on the roster has ever been thought of as a shooter, period. So maybe the fans should get a little break and just maybe a team whose biggest weakness (other than depth) was shooting should consider NOT redshirting a kid thought of as a shooter.

Right now I am saying nobody does. That is purely based on one thing and that is how Frank manages a crowded backcourt where he needs to be consistent. He was really key for us last year but still had his struggles given he is not a true PG. Frank needs to be ok with the new team Dynamics and being the first guard replaced if his defense sucks along with playing fewer minutes by design as well. I think he certainly can do it and have faith but that sliver of doubt has me not ready to say we will for sure have a red shirt this year.

Now that my Buddy rant is over I'll address who red shirts...no one. A full roster has 13 scholarship players on it. Syracuse only has 11 for 2018-19. So why would we think of redshirting anyone? Because our coach likes a short rotation? BS. I would bet JB was just as disgusted leaving Frank and Tyus or Oshae on the court during scrub time as I was sick of seeing them during scrub time (which is different than walk on time). That helped to add to the record minutes played by our starters. The 6 returnees obviously play. Same with Hughes and Carey. That is most likely the 8 man rotation we end up with. Buddy, Braswell and Washington need to provide something unique in order to get any PT. Buddy can shoot. Braswell is one of only 3 forwards on the team and his film shows potential of being a great help defender from the get go. Washington may still be the only true PG but is behind Frank, Tyus and Carey at that spot. I just don't see a red shirt opportunity.

Why are people voting for Braswell? Are they assuming Hughes will slide to the 3 when Oshae or Marek need a breather? If not, that makes no sense to me.

Bees, this is your cue to chime in!

Yes, Hughes will play most of his minutes at SF, out of necessity if nothing else.

I'd be surprised if nobody redshirts. In fact, I could see 2 of the 3 redshirting.

Washington is unlikely to play 100 minutes on the season, IMO. Coming off the knee injury, it would make the most sense for him.

Braswell probably won't play much, assuming Hughes can handle Forward minutes and foul trouble doesn't plague us.

Buddy will really have to shoot well to earn minutes, so we'll see.

From all reports Hughes will be the 3rd forward this year. Both bras and HW make sense to redshirt. 4 years from now we’re gonna be saying damnit why did we burn bras’ RS for 4 min a game.

Well he has been referred to as "one of the best shooters in the class" by some recruiting "experts" and his coach said he was "the best shooter he's ever seen come through the NEPSAC" which has seen some excellent players come through that league. No one else on the roster has ever been thought of as a shooter, period. So maybe the fans should get a little break and just maybe a team whose biggest weakness (other than depth) was shooting should consider NOT redshirting a kid thought of as a shooter.

Buddy Boeheim, Brewster Academy, Shooting Guard

I really hope he shines, but 64th or whatever he is ranked here isn't one of the best shooters in the class.

Maybe fans should give this kid a chance to play a game or two before giving him so many expectations, unrealistic or otherwise.

Buddy Boeheim, Brewster Academy, Shooting Guard

I really hope he shines, but 64th or whatever he is ranked here isn't one of the best shooters in the class.

Maybe fans should give this kid a chance to play a game or two before giving him so many expectations, unrealistic or otherwise.

From majority of the recruiting experts he is considered to be one of the best pure shooters in his class. I think that's all that's being said and that we should expect him to be a decent shooter. Decent is pretty good for us considering we struggled mightily putting the orange thing in the hoop last year. Dont think that anyone has stated any crazy expectations on buddy yet. Not sure if buddy is looking at any playing time but it's hard to keep a shooter off the court. Also hard for a shooter to come in ice cold and play spot minutes and expect him to light it up. Gunna be interesting to see how the playing time shakes out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom