Who replaces CJ and Grant on offensive contribution | Syracusefan.com

Who replaces CJ and Grant on offensive contribution

Dave85

Living Legend
Kaleb replaces Ennis. Obokoh replaces Keita, but who replaces CJ and Grant? This year's team is going to be a lot like last years team but with more losses. Maybe they will put it all together at the end and make a good tournament run. As I see it's pretty straight forward:

PG Kaleb, G
SG Cooney, G, Paterson
SF G, BJ, Roberson
PF Roberson, McCull, Rak
C Rak, Obokoh

When Kaleb is not on the court I think Cooney and G will bring the ball up just like last year with Ennis. The more interesting question is will be does G, BJ, Roberson, and McCull replace the offensive output of CJ and Grant. Unless Patterson has dramatically improved his ball handling skills I doubt he will get much playing time. I hope BJ can make a solid contribution this year but the kid is really skinny.

Will the coach even play 9 players or stick with a 7 player rotation.

I think KJ, Cooney, Roberson and McCullough alone will provide a more fluent and consistent offense than all of last years.

I agree. Dave has McCullough coming off the bench but I'm seeing McCullough and Roberson as our two starting forwards - agree?

I think it depends on the health of Coleman and if JB wants to start Rak/Coleman

Jerami Grant did not put up numbers that aren't easily replaced.

CJ's consistency is what we'll miss but I think people here will be surprised how much better the offense will run when we utilize our speed and athleticism.

Remember when we played Florida a couple times a few years ago? We ran them up and down the floor. We beat them because we were faster and stronger. I think this team will be similar.

This is not a team where we'll have to rely on someone putting up 25 to carry us. Last years team was not a good team, it was a few good players.

This year is a good team, I believe in them.

CJ's consistency is what we'll miss but I think people here will be surprised how much better the offense will run when we utilize our speed and athleticism.

Remember when we played Florida a couple times a few years ago? We ran them up and down the floor. We beat them because we were faster and stronger. I think this team will be similar.

This is not a team where we'll have to rely on someone putting up 25 to carry us. Last years team was not a good team, it was a few good players.

CJ was only consistent in the actual points he scored; he wasn't consistent in how he scored. But he took a lot of shots this year and he only averaged the points he did because of all the shots he took.

CJ took 15 shots a game and only shot 43%; down from 47% his junior year. I love CJ but it's not like he was putting up 18ppg while shooting at 47%. He really wasn't that efficient.

CJ was only consistent in the actual points he scored; he wasn't consistent in how he scored. But he took a lot of shots this year and he only averaged the points he did because of all the shots he took.

CJ took 15 shots a game and only shot 43%; down from 47% his junior year. I love CJ but it's not like he was putting up 18ppg while shooting at 47%. He really wasn't that efficient.

Correct. I appreciate what CJ did for the program and he obviously is a class act. You're right how he wasn't very efficient and his athleticism was overrated, imo. He was a ball stopper, took too long making decisions on offense, and never learned to pass when help defense was sent his way on drives to the basket. Could be addition by subtraction this season.

His decrease in efficiency was a product of the lousy offense. He's not an iso player but unfortunately with the way ennis ran the point it didnt open up the floor for cj and forced him to force shots and try to be the scorer hes not

Aside from the Centers, all anyone should be doing this offseason is shooting 3 pointers.

Last year we saw the ceiling for a team that cannot shoot the three ball.

I agree. Dave has McCullough coming off the bench but I'm seeing McCullough and Roberson as our two starting forwards - agree?

I wasn't trying to give exact lineups but it that one works, yes!

I think it depends on the health of Coleman and if JB wants to start Rak/Coleman

I think Coleman is a long shot to play this season (although I wish nothing but a God speed recovery for the kid).

I looking forward to seeing fast break points again off the defense.

There's a lot that goes into a team's success. Maybe Triche was a better leader than he was given credit for two seasons ago!

His decrease in efficiency was a product of the lousy offense. He's not an iso player but unfortunately with the way ennis ran the point it didnt open up the floor for cj and forced him to force shots and try to be the scorer hes not

I agree. There was something just off a bit the way Ennis ran the point. I am really looking forward to seeing what Kaleb can do!

I like you Trueblue, but that is not even close to what happen on offense this past year, IMO at least.

CJ's lack of efficiency was a direct result of JB making him the featured player in many of the set plays that were run in the half court. Opposing Ds were aware of this and forced CJ into doing things that were not within his skill set - like creating off the dribble, going to his right, reading the D and making adjustments to his cuts and use of the screens. You can not blame Ennis for that. If anything, Ennis maximized CJ's skill set by getting him the ball in the best position possible given what the D was trying to limit.

Ennis ability to run the O and, more importantly, his ability to get the ball to players at the right time in the flow of the offense, is what made him a 1st round pick. And feature CJ as the go to scorer exposed his lack of skills and resulted in him going undrafted. Again, that had nothing to do with Ennis.

I think BJ Johnson has a good chance to put up some scoring numbers. I'm hoping for 7 or 8 a game.

I agree. In my ideal world to get where we need to go, I think between Roberson, McCullough and Johnson, two of them average double figures and the third is in the 7-8 ppg range. - Well in my ideal world, Tyler and Jerami would be suiting up again but this is my realistic ideal world :)

MSOrange said:

Completely agree.

What about Coleman and Xmas at the center and pf positions? I assume that prediction is based on Coleman not being 100% and Xmas playing center.

I like you Trueblue, but that is not even close to what happen on offense this past year, IMO at least.

CJ's lack of efficiency was a direct result of JB making him the featured player in many of the set plays that were run in the half court. Opposing Ds were aware of this and forced CJ into doing things that were not within his skill set - like creating off the dribble, going to his right, reading the D and making adjustments to his cuts and use of the screens. You can not blame Ennis for that. If anything, Ennis maximized CJ's skill set by getting him the ball in the best position possible given what the D was trying to limit.

Ennis ability to run the O and, more importantly, his ability to get the ball to players at the right time in the flow of the offense, is what made him a 1st round pick. And feature CJ as the go to scorer exposed his lack of skills and resulted in him going undrafted. Again, that had nothing to do with Ennis.
That's exactly right.
And CJ deserves a lot of credit for doing all that he did when you take into account that he was basically our first, second and third options on offense.

I didn't mean to imply an order to who came off the bench. I just meant to group the players by position. I hope earlier in the season JB rotates in all 9 players I listed. I'd like to see Patterson and BJ get more minutes. My hope is out of trying lots of rotations the coaching staff figures how which sets gel the best. I think if JB wants lots of wins he will play 7 players. If wants to make a deep tournament run he's going to have to play more than 7. It seems to me the last two seasons players were beat up pretty bad by tournament time. Triche played through the tournament with back injury. I don't even want to talk about last season but I think the reason why the offensive output went down was because players were so banged up.

Wouldn't be just crazy if Cooney consistently played as well as he did during the ND game. That would be just incredible.

Ennis was just okay for me. He will not be one of my favorite all-time guards. Last year's offense was so predictable it was painful. The coaching staff has to be a little more creative coming up with some new offensive plays.

I disagree with this. There really was no flow with this offense. Our offense consisted of Ennis holding the ball for 10-15 seconds, either passed it to Cooney for a 3, or the majority of the time passed it to Fair/Grant who held the ball and took a bad ISO shot with a hand in their face.

Ennis didn't turn the ball over, but when you literally take zero risk you're not going to turn the ball over. There was no flow with the offense, he didn't really get the ball to anybody at the right time because there never was a right time, nobody moved off the ball.

What made him a first round pick was 25-0, late game heroics in the beginning of the season. The look of cool, calm, and collective while never turning the ball over. He is here another year or two if we lose a couple of those first 25 games, unfortunately the hype machine took over.