Who would have predicted ? | Syracusefan.com

Who would have predicted ?

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
While some of us are happy with our preseason predictions about this player or another (Southerland, Grant ...), here are a couple surprises I'm not sure anyone saw coming:

1. Our big man rotation is generating 19 points and 16 rebounds a game. Outstanding production so far.

2. Brandon Triche, known for his ability to rebound from the guard spot, is currently only our 7th leading rebounder, ahead of only Cooney and Grant. That tells me that we have really been focusing on clearing our defensive boards, and that everybody is chipping in.

3. Who would have predicted that this year's team would be ahead of last year's team when it comes to generating steals at the top of the zone? I'm quite surprised, because personally, I thought that Scoop and Dion's quick hands wouldn't quite be matched by Mike. (Brandon is Brandon - always a good defender, but not so much a pickpocket as a position defender with great physicality...). Mike isn't as quick handed as the Philly Boyz, IMO, but he reads the play very well and has a great nose for where the offensive player is going with the ball. It's his anticipation that makes up for how gangly he is. And actually the length of his reach probably is something that he has as an advantage over Scoop and Dion. So that's another terrific surprise.

While some of us are happy with our preseason predictions about this player or another (Southerland, Grant ...), here are a couple surprises I'm not sure anyone saw coming:

1. Our big man rotation is generating 19 points and 16 rebounds a game. Outstanding production so far.

2. Brandon Triche, known for his ability to rebound from the guard spot, is currently only our 7th leading rebounder, ahead of only Cooney and Grant. That tells me that we have really been focusing on clearing our defensive boards, and that everybody is chipping in.

3. Who would have predicted that this year's team would be ahead of last year's team when it comes to generating steals at the top of the zone? I'm quite surprised, because personally, I thought that Scoop and Dion's quick hands wouldn't quite be matched by Mike. (Brandon is Brandon - always a good defender, but not so much a pickpocket as a position defender with great physicality...). Mike isn't as quick handed as the Philly Boyz, IMO, but he reads the play very well and has a great nose for where the offensive player is going with the ball. It's his anticipation that makes up for how gangly he is. And actually the length of his reach probably is something that he has as an advantage over Scoop and Dion. So that's another terrific surprise.

How about that MCW would be leading the team in rebounding. He is averaging 6.5 boards per game over 6, if SUAD stats can be believed.

How about that MCW would be leading the team in rebounding. He is averaging 6.5 boards per game over 6, if SUAD stats can be believed.

Yep. Completely agree with that one, although I don't think that's going to hold up over the long haul. I think either Christmas or Fair is going to wind up our top rebounder by the end of the season.

I just cant wait to see when this team actually puts a full 40 minutes together and everyone clicks. It hasnt happened yet or even close to happening and we are rolling teams.

I'm completely unsurprised by everything MCW has done this year. I knew he'd be deadly at the top of the zone.

I'm completely unsurprised by everything MCW has done this year. I knew he'd be deadly at the top of the zone.
you mean the guy who could barely sniff pt last year because scoop was better lol.

MCW is also getting many more minutes than any member of the three headed monster that is Christmas/Coleman/Keita. I would expect Fair starts to increase his board total and eventually take over the team lead. Normalized to 40 mpg, MCW is averaging 8.2 rebounds versus Christmas (10.3), Keita (12.2), and Coleman (13.3).

Though, I love that MCW is a threat to post a triple double any game.

you mean the guy who could barely sniff pt last year because scoop was better lol.

You can't argue with the fact that we lost only once during the regular season last year, and that was when Fab was suspended. Plus, Mike has had the benefit of playing against those guys in practice for a year. At the beginning of last season, he was not the Mike we see today.

You can say the same thing about Cooney - he was able to make shots last year ! (j/k)

You can't argue with the fact that we lost only once during the regular season last year, and that was when Fab was suspended. Plus, Mike has had the benefit of playing against those guys in practice for a year. At the beginning of last season, he was not the Mike we see today.

You can say the same thing about Cooney - he was able to make shots last year ! (j/k)
The winning was mostly because of our defense and shot blocker. Jb favors upperclassmen even the few times he shouldnt.

The winning was mostly because of our defense and shot blocker. Jb favors upperclassmen even the few times he shouldnt.

Sure, but my point was that the team didn't suffer with Scoop and Dion on the floor instead of Mike last year.

Explain to me again how little Scoop contributed to last year's 34-3 team that reached a regional final.

And then explain how relegating Scoop to the bench might have been received by your man-crush Dion.

I think that MCW is easily the biggest surprise, even despite having easily the most expectations. The way he has catalyzed both the offense and the defense doing all the little things, and how that has resonated through to every aspect of the team is remarkable. He makes the offense 'go', and is a defensive cancer for other teams.

Sure, but my point was that the team didn't suffer with Scoop and Dion on the floor instead of Mike last year.
Mcw should of been able to develop more with some pt . He could of gave us some of what hes showing us this year..

Mcw should of been able to develop more with some pt . He could of gave us some of what hes showing us this year..

Last time I can remember us playing 4 guards as much as we did last year was 2000, when we had Jason Hart and Tony Bland start, DeShaun Williams played the Dion role and took over Bland's minutes as the year went on, and Allen Griffin (like MCW last year) spelled the PG for about 10 minutes a game. Pretty much the exact same rotation.

Griffin had been a starter the year before and played less minutes for the benefit of the team, much like Scoop. And then Allen was rewarded with a great senior year, when he and Damone Brown emerged from the shadows as seniors to lead the team to a pretty good season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom