Who wouldn't want to play QB or WR here? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Who wouldn't want to play QB or WR here?

Kevin Sampson and Adam Terry both started on NFL teams. Quinn Ojinnaka also played in the league. SU has, on occasion, produced OL that played at the next level. Certainly not on a consistent basis.

The issue isn't whether we have had a guy here or a guy there who's played in the league. But let's consider those names:
  • Kevin Sampson graduated in 2003
  • Adam Terry graduated in 2004
  • Quinn Ojinnaka graduate in 2005
So sure, over the years there have been a handful of OL performers who were a cut above the rest, but those guys have been few and far between.

The issue isn't whether we have had a guy here or a guy there who's played in the league. But let's consider those names:
  • Kevin Sampson graduated in 2003
  • Adam Terry graduated in 2004
  • Quinn Ojinnaka graduate in 2005
So sure, over the years there have been a handful of OL performers who were a cut above the rest, but those guys have been few and far between.
I think you just restated the point of my post ;-)

I'm not over estimating anything.

Here is what I was responding to in total.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brooky03 said:
The big question is who's going to want to play OL here? Linemen don't like running; most are allergic to it. I know Dino favors more svelte linemen but still, we might struggle to get solid recruits on the OL for a while.

If by "a while," you mean the past 30 years, then I completely agree.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So we've failed to get solid OL in this program for the last 30 years. 30 years, as in since 1986 we've failed to bring in solid OL recruits.

Really?

Where did I say we had lines full of all american's from tackle to tackle? That's what getting solid OL recruits equates to?

I pointed out two guys who are starting now in the NFL that certainty don't fit with failing to get solid OL recruits in the last 30 years. There are first and second year players playing this year that are probably going to be "solid" with quality coaching. Does that mean they are headed to the NFL, probably not, but it doesn't mean they won't turn out to be good college players.

Chibane, Trudo, Mackey, and Hickey are the very definition of solid.

In 2003/2004 the OL unit had Terry, Tarrullo, Franklin, Ojinnaka, Greene, Romeo, Sampson on it. Were they great, no, but solid, certainty think so.

It's not like they have trotted out lines like Lepak, Baumbach, Allport, Phillips, and McKenzie year after year. If the three deep was full of guys like that year after year then you'd be right.

Wow--so we had an offensive line unit that you acknowledge wasn't great but "solid" "certainly" back 12 years ago in 2003/2004. I stand corrected. :crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

Spare me the pedantic attempt to spin my post--good lord, if that's what you're clinging to, then you really are digging yourself a straw man hole. I'm not going to get dragged into an asinine argument about how good the OL with Blake Bednarz was 29 years ago--OL has been a mess here for a long time, and we haven't had much talent there as evidenced by the infinitesimally small number of them we've had selected in the NFL draft. That data doesn't lie, and explains the struggles we've seen on the field most years at OL--especially the since 2000, but dating back even before then. And as I've painstakingly pointed out to you, a couple of one-off examples across multiple decades doesn't alter that FACT, no matter how much you'd like to rationalize otherwise.

Anomander's post above was spot on. Judging from the responses to our respective posts, everybody except for you seems to recognize that yes, we've failed to get solid OL in this program with any consistency over the years.

Last edited:
I thought the guy Shafer hired his 1st year as OL coach was very good, after that not so much. Again, Marrone and fat blad guy who could recruit were also very good OL coaches.. Marrone did OK with a couple JUCO's, couple of projects and Pugh.. Hickey was a good get, Chibane was a guy nobody really wanted but transformed nicely, had the measurables as Dino's guys due. Measurables and athleticism to me are very important. You can teach football later, like the kid with the mullet we got last year. MAcky was the exception here, RIDICULOUS FOOTBALL IQ. You simply have to develop O Line guys here, it's pretty plain and simple and looks like Dino is more than willing to do that and we will see starting next year how he does at it.. O Lineman we recruit need 2 years most of them.

Wow--so we had an offensive line unit that you acknowledge wasn't great but "solid" "certainly" back 12 years ago in 2003/2004. I stand corrected. :crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

Spare me the pedantic attempt to spin my post--good lord, if that's what you're clinging to, then you really are digging yourself a straw man hole [I'm not going to get dragged into an asinine argument about how good the OL with Blake Bednarz was 29 years ago]. OL has been a mess here for a long time, and we haven't had much talent there, as evidenced by the infinitesimally small number of them we've had selected in the NFL draft. That data doesn't lie, and explains the struggles we've seen on the field most years at OL--especially the last 15, but dating back even before then. And as I've painstakingly pointed out to you, a couple of one-off examples across multiple decades doesn't alter that FACT, no matter how much you'd like to rationalize otherwise.

Anomander's post above was spot on. Judging from the responses to our respective posts, everybody except for you seems to recognize that yes, we've failed to get solid OL in this program with any consistency over the years.

I know you have a problem from me making you look like a fool, but get over yourself.

Now if you want to say this program hasn't brought in multiple future NFL linemen every year, yep, you nailed it. Has this program been reeling in 4 star linemen? Nope.

But that's not the assertion I was responding to, unless that's what your definition of failing to bring in solid OL talent is.

Fact is that Mac and P were able to bring in quality linemen during their tenures. Some lines were excellent, some in development. Those guys I referred to were three and four year starters and formed the core of the unit in the early 2000's. They weren't the reason the program struggled.

The only reason I brought up Tiller and Pugh was to push back on a categorical statement. Marrone was able to pull together a solid unit starting with almost nothing using transfers and freshmen and sophomores over a four year period. All that does is show it can be done pretty quickly and isn't some insurmountable task.

I know you have a problem from me making you look like a fool, but get over yourself.

Now if you want to say this program hasn't brought in multiple future NFL linemen every year, yep, you nailed it. Has this program been reeling in 4 star linemen? Nope.

But that's not the assertion I was responding to, unless that's what your definition of failing to bring in solid OL talent is.

Fact is that Mac and P were able to bring in quality linemen during their tenures. Some lines were excellent, some in development. Those guys I referred to were three and four year starters and formed the core of the unit in the early 2000's. They weren't the reason the program struggled.

The only reason I brought up Tiller and Pugh was to push back on a categorical statement. Marrone was able to pull together a solid unit starting with almost nothing using transfers and freshmen and sophomores over a four year period. All that does is show it can be done pretty quickly and isn't some insurmountable task.

I'm still waiting for that to happen. Speaking of making a fool out of yourself, why don't you go make another post about how similar Babers's offensive system is to the one Marrone, ROFLMFAO--disgraceful.

Truth is, you're just mad because I correctly pegged you a long time ago as being argumentative and not very knowledgeable about football--a bad enough combination--but now it looks like we need to add delusional to the mix, as well. No matter how you try to spin it, we have not landed many highly rated OL ever, as a program.

I hate to break this to you, Go, but Coach Mac has been gone for 26 years. He fielded an offensive line in 1987 that was probably the gold standard for our program, but we didn't sustain that level of play--certainly not into the modern era of our program.

And even when our OL talent was much better than it is currently, it was overrated locally and nationally--very similarly to how you are overrating our OL talent in this thread relative to our peers. Here are some examples--a few years after the 1987 dream season, the Sporting News [I believe] picked SU as having the top OL in college football, and they went on to struggle mightily that year. And I still have nightmares from a couple years later, thinking about 1st team all american John Flannery getting abused and knocked down by Russell Maryland. I love John Flannery, I'm not knocking him. But he wasn't on the same level.

We also had OL units that didn't perform well, but had it compensated for by athletic QBs like McNabb--several years in fact where we had the skilled talent to compete with elite teams, but not the talent in the trenches [remember the Orange Bowl, against Florida, when McNabb was running for his life the entire game?].

We've had seasons where our best OL were converted TEs like Andrew Dees and Baneweicz. Why? Because even when we were recruiting at a much higher level than we are now, we still weren't landing blue chip OL talent.

Post-McNabb, things really went downhill. P struggled to field competent OLs several of his last 5 seasons. GRob--don't get me started.

It all comes down to this: we have not had consistent OL play many seasons over the last 30 [prior to that, the program stunk and so did the talent we brought in]. At the beginning of that timeframe, the OL talent was much better. We had players on those teams where second unit guys like Chuck Bull couldn't even get on the field; today, he'd be the top OL on the team. I'd kill to be landing PJ Browns now, let alone higher rated guys. But the level of play has declined precipitously since 2000,and it correlates to the talent we've brought in over that span. If you went back over those 30 years, we've had more down years than we've had good seasons of OL play.

The NFL draft results, which are abysmal, support what I'm saying. As do the lack of OL on all conference teams.

None of this can be denied by anyone who is intellectually honest. You can't dispute it, either, so you're trying to move the goal posts to a different argument about individual players and lesser rated recruits who improbably panned out to be "solid." The bottom line is that we haven't landed highly rated offensive linemen over that time with any consistency, going back 30 years. And the results follow suit.

And just to reemphasize this point, since it apparently hasn't sunken in--an OL is a unit of 5, not just individual players. Historically as a program, OL has not been our area of greatest program strength relative to the rest of our offensive talent, and even when we were much better than we are now, it wasn't generally that great.

Hopefully, this new staff can improve the situation, because it needs to change.

Last edited:
GoSU96 said:
Justin Pugh and Andrew Tiller say hi.
If we're going back 30 years, the list is a LOT longer.

Justin Pugh and Andrew Tiller say hi.

I'm no picking on you by any means -- but this illustrates the problem we as Syracuse fans have. We overrate our talent and don't necessarily comprehend how far this program has fallen. We are mentioning two players that are still on NFL rosters. Two.

We currently have 9 players on NFL rosters (no practice squad, etc). That's roughly the same as peers like CMU, SMU, USF, Colorado, Memphis, Temple, and Tulane.

As a comparison Rutgers has 17, BC 16, and UCONN 15 (closest I could find, might now be off a player or two due to cuts, etc).

Point being is NFL talent usually equates to success...we just haven't had the talent on this roster required to compete at a consistent level.

A great number of schools at every level run this type of offense. I think it's more the norm than not. They're is just a few that do it better though. The 'secret sauce' if you may. (plus we have a Dome)

...and we are located in the NE, where this is an unheard of offense...