Whoa..Big 12 May Not be Expanding According to present Commissioner | Syracusefan.com

Whoa..Big 12 May Not be Expanding According to present Commissioner

arbitragegls

All Conference
Interesting comment by outgoing Commissioner Chuck Neinas. Of course we can take this with a grain of salt and maybe will know more by end of week when Big 12 meetings end; however, my source from NCState is still saying hang in until the BCS NC is determined. Lots going on behind closed doors and "Swofford is not laying down...but is getting in bed with a few good folks."

“People have to understand that bigger is not necessarily better,” Neinas said. “What we are trying to do, in view of what has transpired in the past, is to build unity. We have two new members. Let the membership be comfortable with each other before they ever consider going forward.”

http://blogs.courier-journal.com/ri...+RickBozich+(Rick+Bozich+-+Louisville+sports)

Interesting comment by outgoing Commissioner Chuck Neinas. Of course we can take this with a grain of salt and maybe will know more by end of week when Big 12 meetings end; however, my source from NCState is still saying hang in until the BCS NC is determined. Lots going on behind closed doors and "Swofford is not laying down...but is getting in bed with a few good folks."

“People have to understand that bigger is not necessarily better,” Neinas said. “What we are trying to do, in view of what has transpired in the past, is to build unity. We have two new members. Let the membership be comfortable with each other before they ever consider going forward.”

http://blogs.courier-journal.com/rickbozich/2012/05/29/big-12-expansion-on-hold/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed: RickBozich (Rick Bozich - Louisville sports)

My question is, who do they go get if Oklahoma goes to the Big Ten?

If Oklahoma leaves it most likely will not be the only one high tailing out of the Big 12...dont forget, you got the Pac 12 with no where to go except teams in the Big 12...which then allows the SEC to move in on a few also. The dominos havent not been played.
Lets see if the 13 year GOR is actually signed and what type of dollars ESPN and others will throw their way. I am still not ready to say the ACC is going to be squashed with a TV contract that dooms it nor that some teams will leave the ACC. The Big 12 still needs to demonstrate stability and it hasnt yet for more than a year.

If the B10 went after Oklahoma and the PAC decided to get aggressive so as to not be shut out down the road I could see Kansas and Kansas State being offered along with Texas Tech and Texas. Neither KState nor Tech are great prizes and the academics would have to hold their noses but I think the PAC would be willing to do it to get Texas and Kansas. Texas in particular. There would also have to be some compromise on TLN but in order to maintain a seat in an age of 16-team "superconferences" (which I don't believe is inevitable) I think they have no other choice (Boise, BYU and TCU are not choices)

This would leave a "Big 12" of Baylor, TCU, WVU, Oklahoma State and Iowa State. Anyone think the Big 12 would still be an attractive destination for the ACC teams?

"Swofford is not laying down...but is getting in bed with a few good folks."

Did anyone actually think Swofford was going to sit back and let his conference get picked apart? He's not Marinatto sending flowers to the other commissioners for letting him live to see another day.

He's pretty much saying they won't expand for the sake of expansion and that it has to be the right teams. Doesn't bode well for the Cincy's of the world.

Statement could be a cover if they discretely pursue teams but are rejected. Could be an accurate statement if one believes Texas when they allegedly indicated - why would we expand? The only given seems to be that everyone hates the underachieving Texas Longhorns.

The Big 12 is the most vulnerable conference for a couple reasons. They are surrounded by the other major players, which means they are most likely to be picked apart due to nothing more than geography. They also have no "flagship" or anchor program. Michigan and Ohio State aren't looking to leave the Big 10. U$C, UCLA, Stanford etc are not looking to leave the Pac 12. Alabama, Florida, and Tennessee aren't shopping around. The fact that Texas even considered moving to the Pac-12 should be a concern. They have more than enough money to do whatever they want, and they thought about packing up shop?

The ACC is now a conference that makes geographic sense, with an ocean protecting one flank. As soon as nouveau riche FSU settles down and gets used to genuine conference membership, all will be well, and it will make sense.

If you had the choice of being the Big 12 commissioner or ACC commish right now, which would you want to be?

It just boggles my mind that Nebraska, Missouri, Texas A&M, and Colorado could leave the Big 12, and teams would actually be looking to JOIN that conference. How much more of a red flag do you need? TCU I can understand, former SWC member, looking to get to the BCS table, not wanting to have to be in the Big East to do it...makes sense. WVU being in an unstable BE, not invited to the Big 10, SEC or ACC, makes sense as well. Louisville, similar to WVU, makes sense all things considered.

For a team in a stable ACC to want to leave to join that, the $$$ differential had better be huge. A few million extra a year to jump into a unstable, Texas dominated midwestern/southwestern conference doesn't seem worth the trouble.

If the B10 went after Oklahoma and the PAC decided to get aggressive so as to not be shut out down the road I could see Kansas and Kansas State being offered along with Texas Tech and Texas. Neither KState nor Tech are great prizes and the academics would have to hold their noses but I think the PAC would be willing to do it to get Texas and Kansas. Texas in particular. There would also have to be some compromise on TLN but in order to maintain a seat in an age of 16-team "superconferences" (which I don't believe is inevitable) I think they have no other choice (Boise, BYU and TCU are not choices)

This would leave a "Big 12" of Baylor, TCU, WVU, Oklahoma State and Iowa State. Anyone think the Big 12 would still be an attractive destination for the ACC teams?
I would be shocked if OU went anywhere without OSU.

He's pretty much saying they won't expand for the sake of expansion and that it has to be the right teams. Doesn't bode well for the Cincy's of the world.

I genuinely feel bad for Louisville. They went from being the "next in line" to being left out in the cold.

The Big 12 is the most vulnerable conference for a couple reasons. They are surrounded by the other major players, which means they are most likely to be picked apart due to nothing more than geography. They also have no "flagship" or anchor program. Michigan and Ohio State aren't looking to leave the Big 10. U$C, UCLA, Stanford etc are not looking to leave the Pac 12. Alabama, Florida, and Tennessee aren't shopping around. The fact that Texas even considered moving to the Pac-12 should be a concern. They have more than enough money to do whatever they want, and they thought about packing up shop?

The ACC is now a conference that makes geographic sense, with an ocean protecting one flank. As soon as nouveau riche FSU settles down and gets used to genuine conference membership, all will be well, and it will make sense.

If you had the choice of being the Big 12 commissioner or ACC commish right now, which would you want to be?
good post nice to cut the bs and have someone post something that makes a little sense

The one big advantage the B12 has is that the SEC just decided to team up with them.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

The one big advantage the B12 has is that the SEC just decided to team up with them.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Yeah, but as Neil has pointed out, does a battle of the number two/three teams of the SEC and the Big 12 outside outside of the playoffs really matter?

Yeah, but as Neil has pointed out, does a battle of the number two/three teams of the SEC and the Big 12 outside outside of the playoffs really matter?

Hell, if it's a matchup of SEC and Big 12 champs...who aren't in the top 4...does it really matter?

Once upon a time we called this game the Sugar Bowl.

So the Oklahoma AD is now on record as saying he likes the ten team model. That means OU and Texas both want to stay at ten for now. It'll be interesting to see if they get their way (which I expect they will).

I don't. Screw Louisville.

I disagree there...Louisville deserves to be with one of the Big 5 conferences...they have a real fan base and great facilities...too bad the President listened to Pitino too much.

So the Oklahoma AD is now on record as saying he likes the ten team model. That means OU and Texas both want to stay at ten for now. It'll be interesting to see if they get their way (which I expect they will).

They'll get their way.

I disagree there...Louisville deserves to be with one of the Big 5 conferences...they have a real fan base and great facilities...too bad the President listened to Pitino too much.

They deserve to rot with their ConferenceUSA brethren. Pitino is enough to dislike Louisville.

He called us out when we left, so as far as I'm concerned, he can enjoy staying in the Big East himself.

"For now". He also said he was open minded to expanding but wants to take a logical approach. All of these guys are kind of playing both ends against the middle. I don't think anything at all happens until after the playoff format thing is settled and agreed upon. The B12 meetings are this week and I wouldn't expect anything coming out of those regarding expansion with the playoff up in the air.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom