Who's watching this 30 for 30 doc? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Who's watching this 30 for 30 doc?

I believe in certain conferences, the 3 pt shot was in play.

Like the 6 foul rule in the Big east back in the day
The very short line (inside the top of the foul circle) was being experimented with in the ACC. I would guess they also used it in the ACC tournament.

It was not in use in the NCAA tournamnet.

The first year the 3-point shot was used nationwide was 1986-87--just in time for Steve Alford to save Indiana's bacon.

I remember that Bob Knight was totally against it. He loudly and publicly berated Ed Steitz, the NCAA official most instrumental in getting the rule implemented. When asked after the championship game what he would like to say to Steitz, he responded "Thanks, Ed".

BTW we beat that Houston team that year. 92-87 in the Dome. Great game.

I was rooting for Houston because we'd been the last team to beat them and I wanted to be able to say we beat the national champs.

The very short line (inside the top of the foul circle) was being experimented with in the ACC. I would guess they also used it in the ACC tournament.

It was not in use in the NCAA tournamnet.

The first year the 3-point shot was used nationwide was 1986-87--just in time for Steve Alford to save Indiana's bacon.

I remember that Bob Knight was totally against it. He loudly and public berated Ed Steitz, the NCAA official most instrumental in getting the rule implemented. When asked after the championship game what he would like to say to Streitz, he responded "Thanks, Ed".

In '87 we had four treys, (Sherman and Greg Monroe had two each) and Indiana had 7- all from Alford. We lost by a single point. Under 1985-86 rules, we win 69-67.

Just watched it.. Wow. Being a young buck, i really didnt know much about this team, it their story. Amazing. Top 5 30 for 30 for sure

Did anyone else notice the guy in the Syracuse sweatshirt sitting right behind the NCSU bench during the first Virginia game??

There is a shot of Jimmy V walking back towards the bench and you can see the guy right there, blue "SU" shirt that says "SYRACUSE" at the bottom. He has a full Chuck Norris beard to boot.

Lowe could be going to jail. And they really made Valvano out to be a saint... which more than likely wasnt the case.

I LOVE JIMMY V. fricken love him. but to have the ncaa investigator say he didnt pay players or fix grades was just awkward IMO. And even more awkward was having the original WWWes (Sonny Vaccaro) vouching for him.

I fell asleep but, if they didn't talk about him, google Chris Washburn.

Valvano was absolutely crucified back in the late eighties for Washburn by the same media who so adores him today.

The Washburn saga, if I remember correctly, basically ended his career.

Did anyone else notice the guy in the Syracuse sweatshirt sitting right behind the NCSU bench during the first Virginia game??

There is a shot of Jimmy V walking back towards the bench and you can see the guy right there, blue "SU" shirt that says "SYRACUSE" at the bottom. He has a full Chuck Norris beard to boot.

Yeah haha, I saw that too. I liked the UNLV player with the full-on mullet better though.

That was great - 30 30 has it going on with some nice journalism. It's almost impossible not to like Valvano, no matter his darker areas.

Interestingly, the team many consider to have been Louisville's best team ever probably softened Houston up for NC State - a team Louisville beat handily earlier in the season at our place. IN another complete irony, it was the Dream Game year, where UofL beat Kentucky in OT for the trip to the FF. It made it like 2 seasons - lol, or 3 - finally playing UK, then that frikkin incredible classic with Phi Slamma Jamma.

It's immortalized here.... http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=jamfest83

I was rooting for Houston because we'd been the last team to beat them and I wanted to be able to say we beat the national champs.

I believe Houston lost 2 games that year before losing in the national championship. We played them early in the season and was their first loss. I think Virginia was the last team to beat them, but I'm not sure. Just know they lost to someone else after we beat them.

Agreed. Not watching this one now, but every episode of 30 for 30 I've seen is very well done.

I'm guessing you missed the Kansas, Rules of basketball episode? I write ESPN every day asking for that hour of my life back. Absolutly horrible.

Other then that, you're about right on

I'm guessing you missed the Kansas, Rules of basketball episode? I write ESPN every day asking for that hour of my life back. Absolutly horrible.

Other then that, you're about right on

Hah. Indeed I had not seen that episode. Thanks for the warning. I won't go out of my way to see it.

what was the foul rule back then? every foul was a 1 and 1? i cant believe they would intentionally foul with the game tied.

BTW we beat that Houston team that year. 92-87 in the Dome. Great game.
I was there. And yes, I did storm the court. That game featured the most impressive dunk that I've ever seen in person. Clyde "the glide" Drexler took off from the foul line on the way to the hoop.

The day before the game, the CBS announcers, Gary Bender and Billy Packer, gave a talk students. I recall finding it interesting at the time.

I fell asleep but, if they didn't talk about him, google Chris Washburn.

Valvano was absolutely crucified back in the late eighties for Washburn by the same media who so adores him today.

The Washburn saga, if I remember correctly, basically ended his career.

Was Chris Washburn on that team?

What an amazing talent--million dollar potential, 10 cent head.

Was Chris Washburn on that team?

What an amazing talent--million dollar potential, 10 cent head.
He was a couple years after the NC team

I was there. And yes, I did storm the court. That game featured the most impressive dunk that I've ever seen in person. Clyde "the glide" Drexler took off from the foul line on the way to the hoop.

The day before the game, the CBS announcers, Gary Bender and Billy Packer, gave a talk students. I recall finding it interesting at the time.

I was there too. That team was ridiculously talented.

what was the foul rule back then? every foul was a 1 and 1? i cant believe they would intentionally foul with the game tied.

One and one forever.

I was at that game too. What a team that was.

I believe Houston lost 2 games that year before losing in the national championship. We played them early in the season and was their first loss. I think Virginia was the last team to beat them, but I'm not sure. Just know they lost to someone else after we beat them.

You are right. I'm wrong:
http://www.fanbase.com/Houston-Cougars-Mens-Basketball-1982-83/schedule
I still wanted to be able to say we'd beaten the champs, though. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors