Why 4 superconferences | Syracusefan.com

Why 4 superconferences

ottodaorange

Starter
that is limited to 64 teams and does not includse some notable and derserving schools? Since money and TV markets are apparently the major if not only considerations, I would propose 5 superconferences that consists of 80 Div. I teams that include everyone capable of competing for a national championship as follows:

ACC
The present 14 plus Notre Dame and WVU... as the best fits everything considered; Notre Dame's interests are primarily in the East and WVU renews rivalries and creates a Big East Division.

Big 10 plus 6
The present 12 plus Missouri, Kansas, Kansas St. and Iowa St. Missouri had a brief romance with the conference and is the best fit everything considered. Iowa St. and Iowa rivalry is a natural and Kansas and Kansas St. are a matched set. It also makes enormous sense from a geography stand point and land grant Universities.

SEC

The present 12 plus aTm, Texas, Okla., Okla. St. The rivalries, geography, and history favors this going back to Arkansas and old Southwest Conference and Big 8.

PAC 10 plus 6

The present 12 plus the best of the remaining leftovers less than 2000 miles away which include Boise St. (currently ranked #4), BYU (currently claiming independence), TCU (currently ranked), Baylor (the last existing member of what was the Big 12).

The Rest

This effectively eliminates the Big Twelve and leaves Big East members Rutgers, Uconn, USF, Louisville as outsiders... or a nucleus from teams formerly elegible for the Bowl Championship Series. Other worthy teams are the services academies (Army, Navy, Air Force), UCF, Temple, Toledo, Nevada, ECU and fill in the blank for 4 others... possibly Marshall, Colorado St., Fresno St., Hawaii, San Diego St. FAU, FIU, or directional school of choice.

However, and this is perhaps the most important result, there is still no viable option for a National Championship tournament!

Propose all you want... everyone else has.

Best bet (for now) is to have the Big 4 all with 12-16 schools and a 5th with the BE & Big XII leftovers (+ Boise?). Straight to 4x16 seems unlikely. They need to have a majority of the FBS programs to keep the BCS pack in control, hence the need for a 5th conference... for now.

Propose all you want... everyone else has.

Best bet (for now) is to have the Big 4 all with 12-16 schools and a 5th with the BE & Big XII leftovers (+ Boise?). Straight to 4x16 seems unlikely. They need to have a majority of the FBS programs to keep the BCS pack in control, hence the need for a 5th conference... for now.

64 teams would be a majority of FBS programs.

Is the +1 going in place this year or still under discussion?
The superconference champions in a final four would be a satisfactory playoff system, especially when it would be a defacto 8-team playoff if you factor in the conference championship games.

Just gotta find a way to appease the bigwigs at the bowls since one will get the shaft each year. Typical year could be: Rose Bowl - Big 10 vs Pac-16 champions; Sugar Bowl - SEC vs ACC champions; Fiesta Bowl & Orange Bowl - At larges, but one of them would host the Nat. Champ. game a week later. Seed the teams accordingly and rotate the locations. Done.

I said the same thing in another thread. When all is said and done (maybe 2-3 years from now) I would not be surprised to see 5x16 or 5x14. You think the NCAA gets crap for selection Sunday of 64 (65) teams. These conferences will be hearing from politicians and lawsuits from no till eternity if too many current BCS teams or "big football schools" are left out.

Is the +1 going in place this year or still under discussion?
The superconference champions in a final four would be a satisfactory playoff system, especially when it would be a defacto 8-team playoff if you factor in the conference championship games.

Just gotta find a way to appease the bigwigs at the bowls since one will get the shaft each year. Typical year could be: Rose Bowl - Big 10 vs Pac-16 champions; Sugar Bowl - SEC vs ACC champions; Fiesta Bowl & Orange Bowl - At larges, but one of them would host the Nat. Champ. game a week later. Seed the teams accordingly and rotate the locations. Done.

The only problem with the 8 team playoff is, you might have teams from other conferences who came in 2nd in their division, but might actually be ranked higher than the winners of other divisions.

The better scenario is to place the Conference champions in a playoff game with the 4 highest ranked at large teams available. This is like a wild card situation.

No question, this has to progress to a playoff. I'm not a lawyer, but the issue of antitrust w regard to the BCS and, now more than ever, with college realignment seems destined to drag this into congress. Any playoff would have to allow some form of access (play in, wild card, etc) to non-superconference schools. In hoops, everyone at least has a conference bid.

I think the schools probably want to move in that direction. According to the NCAA article in The Atlantic (long, but very good), it sounds like the schools could use experience developing a FB playoff to eventually wrest control of March madness from the NCAA, taking (if I read this correctly) about $1 BILLION and 95% of the NCAA's annual revenue, all of the 'hush money' the NCAA pays to its schools, ultimately rendering the NCAA powerless. Explains why Mark Emmert is outspoken against realignment.

I said the same thing in another thread. When all is said and done (maybe 2-3 years from now) I would not be surprised to see 5x16 or 5x14. You think the NCAA gets crap for selection Sunday of 64 (65) teams. These conferences will be hearing from politicians and lawsuits from no till eternity if too many current BCS teams or "big football schools" are left out.

No question. There will be "insurrection" and hell to pay if it doesn't end up at 5x16 or 5x14.....especially after looking at the list of schools who could be left out if it ends up at 4x16. I'm absolutely convinced that you are correct on this.

Because 4 conferences make a playoff simple?

4 Conferences.

4 Conference Championship Games (Quarterfinals)
2 National Semifinal's
1 National Championship.

Every team in the 64 has a shot. 5 conferences makes it messy.

No question. There will be "insurrection" and hell to pay if it doesn't end up at 5x16 or 5x14.....especially after looking at the list of schools who could be left out if it ends up at 4x16. I'm absolutely convinced that you are correct on this.
No there won't, because why would the others give a ? They're the ones rolling in the ing money. Essentially, what is going to happen is going to be similar to when the English Premier League was created and split from the Football League, only without the relegation.

64 teams would be a majority of FBS programs.
A very slim majority.
If you didn't think congress was going to get involved before, look out!

A very slim majority.
If you didn't think congress was going to get involved before, look out!
Most schools have no business being D-1A anyways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom