Why are so many leaning Hackett over Shafer? | Syracusefan.com

Why are so many leaning Hackett over Shafer?

Orangetradition44

2nd String
Shafer has tons more experience. The entire defense loves him. He's high energy and plays an aggressive, swarming style defense.

Hackett has little experience and no one knows if the changes / improvements on offense were him or Marrone. Is it all because zach Allen likes him?

Shafer has tons more experience. The entire defense loves him. He's high energy and plays an aggressive, swarming style defense.

Hackett has little experience and no one knows if the changes / improvements on offense were him or Marrone. Is it all because zach Allen likes him?
Shafer is the guy if we stay internal and Zach would stay for him as well as stay for Hack. I just dont see how you pick Hack over Shafer or Ans if you stay internal

the Bill suck on D, have to think Schafers gone too to help them there.

The only reason I'd see leaning toward Hack over Shafer is that by promoting Hack, we can hang onto Wheatley by promoting him to OC. Of course I wouldn't want Hack unless we could guarantee Shafer stays on as DC.

Shafer is the guy if we stay internal and Zach would stay for him as well as stay for Hack. I just dont see how you pick Hack over Shafer or Ans if you stay internal

I've heard that Anselmo was strongly considering retirement. I'd assume that Marrone leaving would push Anselmo closer to making that decision.

Re Shafer v. Hackett -- if one is hired, what are the chances they retain the other? Keeping both would obviously be the best way to maintain "continuity," however much can be attained when a head coach bails, anyway.

I am not convinced that staying in-house is the best way to go. But it worked out okay with PP.

I would love to keep both, but i think the attraction to Hackett is he helped make our offense good for the 1st time in forever and probably has more recruiting potential than Shafer. Can't argue that Shafer has more expereince and is also a very good coach.

The only reason I'd see leaning toward Hack over Shafer is that by promoting Hack, we can hang onto Wheatley by promoting him to OC. Of course I wouldn't want Hack unless we could guarantee Shafer stays on as DC.

Is Wheatley OC material? Honest question--not saying that he isn't.

Not sure Shafer's scheme lends itself to the pros. I see DM taking Hack with him before Shaf, but we'll see soon enough.

the Bill suck on D, have to think Schafers gone too to help them there.

They should both get a look.

A lot of people don't think Shafer is on the HC track. I have no idea if that is accurate or not.

The buzz about Hackett is he is on the track that alot of the long guys that have gotten HC jobs early are on.

As for what Marrone does with them, I really don't think Shafer's defense translates to the league, is Marrone going to entrust his career to a college guy who runs an unsound scheme. It's one thing to mess with 20 year olds that get to practice 25 hours a week and stone cold professional killers who go green light when they see a blitz?

I can see Marrone bringing Hackett with him as QB coach, OC, not really. Would Hackett leave to be a position coach in the league, who knows.

No idea. All I know is he's by all accounts a good RB coach and excellent recruiter so I'm looking for ways to keep him.

People leaning towards Hackett are doing so because they think Hackett delivers ZA.

I flipped a coin. It landed on heads. So Hackett.

If there was any way to keep them on as OC/DC, I'd be thrilled.

People leaning towards Hackett are doing so because they think Hackett delivers ZA.

Not true. He is an excellent tactician and an extension of Coach Marrone. Players love him and he is a dynamic recruiter.

I flipped a coin. It landed on heads. So Hackett.

If there was any way to keep them on as OC/DC, I'd be thrilled.

If I was KingTGD for a day:

1. Hackett HC
2. Shaf - assistant HC $600 gerper. Pays for a lot of hurt feelings.
3. The oldman at QB coach, he could be his Anselmo.
4. Anselmo retires - Greg Toal OLB/STC
5. Henderson goes with Marrone - Darius DB coach - there's your Central NJ/N Fla recruiter
6. Wheat goes - Bryce Bevill RBC - DC recruiter
7. Adkins goes - John Reagan - OC/OL - Texas recruiter, NY native.
8. And if there aren't too many clubs in the bag, the Cat as TE coach WPA recruiter.

I think you need some alum flavor on the staff

What specifically puts hack over Shaf in your mind?

If I was KingTGD for a day:

1. Hackett HC
2. Shaf - assistant HC $600 gerper. Pays for a lot of hurt feelings.
3. The oldman at QB coach, he could be his Anselmo.
4. Anselmo retires - Greg Toal OLB/STC
5. Henderson goes with Marrone - Darius DB coach - there's your Central NJ/N Fla recruiter
6. Wheat goes - Bryce Bevill RBC - DC recruiter
7. Adkins goes - John Reagan - OC/OL - Texas recruiter, NY native.

I think you need some alum flavor on the staff

I don't think we keep Hackett. I think he is going to go with Doug and is already familiar with the Bills organization from his days as quality control.

I don't think we keep Hackett. I think he is going to go with Doug and is already familiar with the Bills organization from his days as quality control.

Plus looking at his quote "I hope I have a job somewhere. ". Something tells me he does or will.

I love Wheatley but lets be honest, running back coaches are a dime a dozen. I'd much rather keep a proven dc in Schafer who's aggressive scheme wreaks havoc in college. Keeping Schaf would also keep the solid core of Morrison and daoust who are both outstanding.

Not really. I could care less about an unproven HS QB. All too many QB's were christened the second coming before they stepped foot on campus, only to be complete busts. You don't make a program HC decision based upon one recruit.

I'd be fine with Hackett only because the offensive system would remain the same. I loved our offense this season and want to see that system going forward. I think it's the primary reason we were successful this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom