Why are we hiring so many new trainers? | Syracusefan.com

Why are we hiring so many new trainers?

nzm136

All Conference
I've seen 2-3 threads about job openings in the last week or two. Are people leaving, or are we expanding? And, if people are leaving, why are they leaving? Also, are they retiring or going somewhere else?

1 job is to replace hal Luther who is a s&c coach and went to buffalo. One is to replace Kevin vanderzee who was director of football operations (or whatever his title was). No idea where he is going. There have also been a couple other jobs posted such ad academic support and fund raising.

Sent using my Commodore 64

If memory serves me right, Hal came from NC SU sometime between '99 and '01. I think it was '99. How did Doug get him to leave his employer of 10+ years? Is being a NFL trainer really that much of a step up? It seems like being a college trainer at a major school is comperable, because you get to deal with many more people and solve a more diverse set of problems. I'm sure that SU will miss him. Is there any word on when they will decide who his replacement is?

If memory serves me right, Hal came from NC SU sometime between '99 and '01. I think it was '99. How did Doug get him to leave his employer of 10+ years? Is being a NFL trainer really that much of a step up? It seems like being a college trainer at a major school is comperable, because you get to deal with many more people and solve a more diverse set of problems. I'm sure that SU will miss him. Is there any word on when they will decide who his replacement is?
Dealing with the number of people and diversity of the problems is probably not why he left. That's definitely a job where opportunities to increase income are limited. If he had a chance at a payday, he would've been stupid not to take it.

To control the live animals that Scott Shafer wrestles every day to stay in shape.

Dealing with the number of people and diversity of the problems is probably not why he left. That's definitely a job where opportunities to increase income are limited. If he had a chance at a payday, he would've been stupid not to take it.
Yu misread my post. I would think that "[d]ealing with [a] number of people and diversity of the problems" would be reason to stay. It keeps the job interesting. And will he eally get paid tangibly more with the Bills. I know pro people usually get paid, but unlike the Bills, Syracuse can spreadhis salary over many different sports, which should make his wages much more competitive than someone whose wage cannot be spread overmany different sports (i.e. a head coach).

Yu misread my post. I would think that "[d]ealing with [a] number of people and diversity of the problems" would be reason to stay. It keeps the job interesting. And will he eally get paid tangibly more with the Bills. I know pro people usually get paid, but unlike the Bills, Syracuse can spreadhis salary over many different sports, which should make his wages much more competitive than someone whose wage cannot be spread overmany different sports (i.e. a head coach).
I understood what you meant. I just don't think it's that much of a consideration one way or the other. I don't think the strength coach that works with the football team works with other teams. My guess is the Bills pay more than SU. If the other coaches are making more to coach the same positions, why would the strength and conditioning coach?

I understood what you meant. I just don't think it's that much of a consideration one way or the other. I don't think the strength coach that works with the football team works with other teams. My guess is the Bills pay more than SU. If the other coaches are making more to coach the same positions, why would the strength and conditioning coach?
If you're right and he only works with the football team, then he wouldn't. Oherwise, what applies to other coaches would not necessarily apply to him because the fixed cost of having a trainer could be spread over more than one program. Or, in other words, more work equals more pay.

None the less, he is gone so there is clearly some cultural and/or economic difference. Given he was with us for over 10 years, I'm guessing that you're right and it was economic. Ity just seems weird that there is so much movement at once. UNless the university pay system changed, that would seem to indicate a cultural change.

I think Hicks came from N.C. ST.

If you're right and he only works with the football team, then he wouldn't. Oherwise, what applies to other coaches would not necessarily apply to him because the fixed cost of having a trainer could be spread over more than one program. Or, in other words, more work equals more pay.

None the less, he is gone so there is clearly some cultural and/or economic difference. Given he was with us for over 10 years, I'm guessing that you're right and it was economic. Ity just seems weird that there is so much movement at once. UNless the university pay system changed, that would seem to indicate a cultural change.
It may have also been a chance to move up the ladder. Didn't he work under Hicks while at S.U? If so, maybe he's the head S&C guy in Buffalo now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom