Why are you all shocked? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Why are you all shocked?

The truth is Dino is a nice guy and there's at least a 30-35% of this board who desperately want him back next year for a variety of reasons and are pointing to any reason/excuse/rationale they can. Bottom line is if you look at this program from the outside it looks like a staff that hit a fluke year in 2018 and has been a mess every other year.

I don’t think this is the right way to look at it.

How about “only coach to have his level of wins vs ranked opponents and a 10 win season vs the level of competition since P” ... it’s really hard to win here for a variety of reasons and if you think “wow we have a bad run of hires - all we need is a better coach” we’ll be stuck here for another 20 years.

I think there are things to cause pause in the case for Dino Babers. That’s obvious. But if you think any of his successes are lucky, you’re delusional. He’s flexible in his hires (fires friends when the fail), seems to understand the program’s failings and works to address them (getting assistants paid, new recruiting positions), cares about the kids, is a good ambassador (higher up on the list the BoT looks at than you or I would consider), etc.

A *fair* look at Dino Babers wouldnt ascribe key wins in 16, 17, and all of 18 as a fluke and anything otherwise should be ignored.

I don’t think this is the right way to look at it.

How about “only coach to have his level of wins vs ranked opponents and a 10 win season vs the level of competition since P” ... it’s really hard to win here for a variety of reasons and if you think “wow we have a bad run of hires - all we need is a better coach” we’ll be stuck here for another 20 years.

I think there are things to cause pause in the case for Dino Babers. That’s obvious. But if you think any of his successes are lucky, you’re delusional. He’s flexible in his hires (fires friends when the fail), seems to understand the program’s failings and works to address them (getting assistants paid, new recruiting positions), cares about the kids, is a good ambassador (higher up on the list the BoT looks at than you or I would consider), etc.

A *fair* look at Dino Babers wouldnt ascribe key wins in 16, 17, and all of 18 as a fluke and anything otherwise should be ignored.

I don't buy the "It's hard to win here" although for whatever reason(s) it has been for most of the last 2 decades. There are plenty of colleges in non se-xy areas that don't have a prime geographical recruiting base to draw from, and they have done a lot better than we have. We should be at least average and reasonably competitive. I still think the Dome should be a plus.

It wasn't that long ago when we were one of the top five colleges with wins in major college football and basketball. A variety of things happened, most of which I can only guess at, and the football program went down the dumper.

I don't know why we can't at least be competitive with the right coaching staff and improved recruiting skills. I'm having my doubts that the current staff is capable.

Having an average competitive football team is not an impossible task.

Last edited:
I don't buy the "It's hard to win here" although for whatever reason(s) it has been for most of the last 2 decades. There are plenty of colleges in non se-xy areas that don't have a prime geographical recruiting base to draw from, and they have done a lot better than we have. We should be at least average and reasonably competitive. I still think the Dome should be a plus.

It wasn't that long ago when we were one of the top five colleges with wins in major college football and basketball. A variety of things happened, most of which I can only guess at, and the football program went down the dumper.

I don't know why we can't at least be competitive with the right coaching staff and improved recruiting skills. I'm having my doubts that the current staff is capable.

Having an average competitive football team is not an impossible task.
BC, Duke and Wake Forest are private schools that prove your point in our own conference. SMU, TCU and Northwestern consistently do better than SU in their leagues. Competing with large state schools is tough, but there’s really no excuse for consistently being at the bottom of the list of peer private schools.

With all the injuries and opt outs Dino deserves to come back , but next year they have to be much better or it’s next coach.

What’s Dinos motivation to win?

And I’m not saying this rudely, but think about it, what’s his motivation

What’s Dinos motivation to win?

And I’m not saying this rudely, but think about it, what’s his motivation
He has fried noodles after a win. He really likes fried noodles.

(And to not lose millions)

You can't have 1 winning season in 5, and be talking about another rebuild. That attitude is unacceptable.

The truth is Dino is a nice guy and there's at least a 30-35% of this board who desperately want him back next year for a variety of reasons and are pointing to any reason/excuse/rationale they can. Bottom line is if you look at this program from the outside it looks like a staff that hit a fluke year in 2018 and has been a mess every other year.

I disagree. 2016 was an improvement from 2015.

And 2017 was an improvement on 2016.

First 3 years were a clear rise. If people want to play dumb and just call those “losing seasons” while ignoring all other context, fine. I like to know who has agendas.

I disagree. 2016 was an improvement from 2015.

And 2017 was an improvement on 2016.

First 3 years were a clear rise. If people want to play dumb and just call those “losing seasons” while ignoring all other context, fine. I like to know who has agendas.

Yes there was definitely some improvement from Shafers last 2 seasons, thats undeniable, unfortunately the issues that plagued those 16 and 17 teams are still prevalent today and unfortunately 4-8 looks like an impossible record for this team. Again looking from the outside in the record is the record.

Last edited:
Yes there was definitely some improvement from Shafers last 2 seasons, thats undeniable, unfortunately the issues that plagued those 6 and 17 teams are still prevalent today and unfortunately 4-8 looks like an impossible record for this team. Again looking from the outside in the record is the record.

But people looking in from the outside were positive on the program back then? We had the VT and Clemson wins and the viral locker room speeches and the impression was he had us on the rise.

(And to not lose millions)

But if his buyout is for millions and if he’s fired he gets the buyout...

It doesn’t matter if he wins or loses, he’s still getting his paycheck

Why do you insist on casting aspersions on Baber's character?

You were at loss in an earlier post as to what could possibly be his motivation to win, as mind-boggling as that sounds. How about:

Ego, pride, honor, duty, integrity, character, accountability, loyalty, professionalism, work ethic, principle, and contractual obligation; in addition to the 4 million other obvious reasons.

You think a coach sticks around for as long as he has in D-1 college football, moving his family all over the country, without being competitive and taking pride in what he does?

You were at loss in an earlier post as to what could possibly be his motivation to win, as mind-boggling as that sounds. How about:

Ego, pride, honor, duty, integrity, character, accountability, loyalty, professionalism, work ethic, principle, and contractual obligation; in addition to the 4 million other obvious reasons.
That stuff, too. But even just the noodles would be enough for me. I'm seriously addicted to these things... lol. Korean Fire noodles. Mmmm

001C-0031-1_copy_1024x1024.jpg

Amen, having a terrible year on the field does not make you unethical.

The only thing that is shocking to me, is the utter lack of shock that we got beat down by Liberty.

That has nothing to do with Liberty, and everything to do with Syracuse.

This program is in shambles.

If people want to give Dino another year, whatever, fine.. I’m pretty apathetic to Syracuse Football at the moment. But what are you placing your faith in?... Dude hasn’t done anything aside from one year with a senior QB who he inherited.
100% agree. Here's the problem. HCDB has no clue how to get us on track. It is time for Syracuse to get a coach with successful P5 coaching and recruiting experience. No more MAC coaches for us please. If Marone wants to come back after Jax fires him at end of the year i am all for that as a alternative.

100% agree. Here's the problem. HCDB has no clue how to get us on track. It is time for Syracuse to get a coach with successful P5 coaching and recruiting experience. No more MAC coaches for us please. If Marone wants to come back after Jax fires him at end of the year i am all for that as a alternative.

What coach is coming to Syracuse that has both P5 coaching experience and recruiting experience? We’ll be damn lucky to get a coach with any successful P5 HC experience here

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom