Why cant our offense | Syracusefan.com

Why cant our offense

albanycuse

Dion Waiters
Run smoothly like it did today? I hate to say it but for the most part our offense is stagnant and thats why i have many doubts come tourny time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Run smoothly like it did today? I hate to say it but for the most part our offense is stagnant and thats why i have many doubts come tourny time.

I think a big factor is our lack of a post presence. We have no one down there to bail us out when the offense bogs down. DC not being as advertised really hurts.

I was surprised that Cooley went man to man for so long. MCW was killing his guy off the ball and James and CJ were having their way inside. The alley oops alone should have told him that he needed to at least try to zone us. We also scored a lot tonight off turnovers which helped.

A lot of it has to do with what defense teams play against us. Most of the games our offense has struggled in have been against teams who played 2-3 zone. Like Marsh, I was surprised that Providence played man for as long as they did. We are a matchup problem for many teams that play man because of our guards. MCW and Triche can get to the basket very well, and obviously it also helps when Southerland and others are hitting outside shots.

It helped getting a lot of transition points. Confidence as a result of that can be a big thing. Providence not playing much D helped too.

Sorry but this is like asking why did my team get 0 runs against Tom Seaver yet we rocked Pat Zachry? Ok I doubt you youngsters will get that analogy.

Amazing what happens when you hit a couple of open jumpers.

I don't think a lot of those shots were any different than the shots we have gotten for most of the year. Problem is, we haven't made many of them.

I agree with Triche. When we play a good game (i.e. shoot the ball well), not many teams can beat us.

I don't think a lot of those shots were any different than the shots we have gotten for most of the year. Problem is, we haven't made many of them.

I agree with Triche. When we play a good game (i.e. shoot the ball well), not many teams can beat us.

Then it really boils down to whether we can win a few rock fights in March and then get on an offensive roll - because it is too much to ask that we play 6 'good' games in a row.

When they roll, they roll. Play like they did tonight...no one beats us. But we haven't been consistent all year.

Albany sometimes yuou need to just enjoy the win. Providence was playing really well before this. Zone or no zone they were overmatched all night.

Every top 15 team can make that claim.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

I was surprised that Cooley went man to man for so long. MCW was killing his guy off the ball and James and CJ were having their way inside. The alley oops alone should have told him that he needed to at least try to zone us. We also scored a lot tonight off turnovers which helped.

I think forcing, and in some cases being given, turnovers and getting into transition is a huge help to out offense. When we don't force turnovers and the opponent takes care of the ball our offense is forced to play half court which has never been one of our strengths.

It helped getting a lot of transition points. Confidence as a result of that can be a big thing. Providence not playing much D helped too.

I said this exact thing in the game chatroom last night. It is amazing what happens when players see the ball go through the hoop a few times early in a game. The team's ability to get a few turnovers and defensive rebounds led to transition opportunities, allowing them to build confidence.

It helped that the guys actually hit shots. Of course, they were aided by taking better shots for the most part. Passing the ball effectively caused this last night. We haven't always seen our players share the rock so selflessly this year. When they move the ball with a purpose, the offense can be a thing of beauty.

As far as your point about Providence's defense goes, you're right--it helped us out, too. That team is not the "get-into-ya" physical defense that a Pittsburgh is.

was just looking on ken pom; believe it or not we have the best offense in conference play. I was definitely surprised, because it seems like a slog so much. But we're middle of the pack in shooting%; 7th in effective FG%. But third in offensive rebounding, and most importantly, and reminiscent back to last year, first in TO%.

I do wish there was a way we could look more at half court sets only, because Im sure the offensive numbers are boosted by being second in forcing TO and first in blocks

Providence had been playing some solid defense the last few games, one of which was a pretty good offensinve team in ND. As others have said above, PC played man which allowed MCW to exploit his smaller guard and force everyone else to help defense which allowed for the success on offense.

It's amazing how much different we are as a team when MCW is a distributor (less shots, more assists) than when he tries to take over a game. He was ultra-efficient last night (15 points on 8 shots) while dishing 12.

I

Providence has terrible match-up problems with our guards and SF. Their guards are on the small side and not physical. Not going to keep Brandon and MCW from driving and getting shots.

They prefer to play 3 guards -- meaning they have no one to match with CJ (when paired with Grant), or James (when paired with CJ).

It is a different story when teams can put a bigger guard on MCW (example -- Detroit) and match up better with our SF.

When really good guards that play defense get on MCW, we struggle, we go as he goes. Once they start picking his pockets and getting in his head, we look totally out of sync.

Here's the formula for last night's "perfect storm":

1. Providence likes to run, which is like trying to share a meal with a tiger. Cuse has had a run of teams that threw a zone at them, and it slowed the games down to a crawl. There were some games where the Orange didn't have any fast break points, and they were ugly to watch.

2. MCW wasn't double-teamed and hounded into destruction and was able to make some passes. Rak scored 6 points, none of which he got on his own -- they were all set-ups for dunks. When Michael did pass, the shooters scored, so count the assist.

3. The key to the fast break was efficient defensive rebounding, where Fair ruled the boards. That's because SU was up against a short team. Short opponents who shoot poorly lead to defensive rebounds, crisp outlet passes, and good transitions lead to dunks.

Easy to see why, assuming the gang can shoot straight on a given night, the Orange basted the Friars. Not so sure we'll see them do that again, unfortunately. Have to say the 2009-10 team was still better -- they did it to ranked Cal and UNC teams in back-to-back tournament games!-VBOF

Sorry but this is like asking why did my team get 0 runs against Tom Seaver yet we rocked Pat Zachry? Ok I doubt you youngsters will get that analogy.

What, no Roger Craig reference?

It's amazing how much different we are as a team when MCW is a distributor (less shots, more assists) than when he tries to take over a game. He was ultra-efficient last night (15 points on 8 shots) while dishing 12.

I

This is the story for every game this season. Hopefully the lightbulb goes off for him soon. He did a really good job last night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom