Why Connecticut Will Win | Syracusefan.com

Why Connecticut Will Win

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Because We are SU! The purpose of an SU victory is to get our hopes up so that when we lose, it will hurt all the more. And this one would be excruciating.

- I heard two guys on the radio talking about what the final score of this game could be and one of them said 66-2, because Connecticut has the worst football program team in the country. I remember 8/31/97, sitting in the stand at the Dome before the NC State game. We’d just demolished Wisconsin in the kickoff classic and the last time I’d seen the Wolfpack they were humiliated by Virginia 14-62 in a 3-8 year in 1996. I thought: “This is going to be great. I can sit here and relax and we can name the score!” Princess Di sure was pretty…

- Yes, Connecticut was 1-11 last year and 31-90 over 11 consecutive losing seasons. But this is the age of the open transfer portal and new Coach Jim Mora has brought in a busload of transfers from more successful programs looking for playing time to terraform this team. The went out to Utah State to play the defending Mountain West champions and the Huskie jumped to a 14-0 lead, (how well would that go over in orange Nation?). the Aggie had a huge second quarter to take a 24-14 halftime lead but the Huskies shut them down for most of the second half, creeping to within 20-14 with two field goals before State scored the clincher to win 31-20. Frankly, I’d take that score right now. Just win, baby! They are not that 1-11 team. (They also aren’t Wagner, an FCS team that went 0-12 last year- that one WILL be a walk-over.)

- UCONN takes great delight in beating Syracuse in any sport, as they did 5 times in 6 games in this one from 2005-2010. Their fans are hungry for the good ole’ days and we will hear from them.

- Dino in openers: 6-1. Dino in game #2, (despite “growth” from games 1 to 2): 1-5. The win is against Wagner. The losses are the 28-62 Lamar Jackson debacle, the “cigar” game, (in Scott Shafer’s mouth) to Middle Tennessee, the Maryland disaster, 10-21 at Pitt and last year’s Rutgers game after which Dino changed quarterbacks. Other dismal second games after promising openers:
1956: We open with a 26-12 road win over #7 Maryland then lose 7-14 to at #10 Pittsburgh
(our only regular season loss)
1958: We open with a 24-14 home win over Boston College, then lose 13-14 at Holy Cross, also our only regular season loss.
1963: We open with another home Boston College win, 32-21, then travel to Kansas, (we aren’t in Syracuse anymore, Otto) and get shut out by the Jayhawks 0-10.
1965: They open with a 14-7 win at Navy, then come home to lost 0-24 to a U of Miami team that would finish 5-4-1.
1969: After beating Iowa State 14-13 at home, we’re back in Kansas, Otto and again get shut out by the Jayhawks 0-13.
1974: Frank Maloney opens up by beating Oregon State 23-15, then loses to Kent State 14-20.
1982: We open up by crushing Rutgers in the Meadowlands 31-8 behind our new quarterback, Steve Peach. A Peach is leading the Orange! Then we lost at home to Temple 18-23, the first of six straight defeats.
1988: We beat Temple 31-21, our 13th consecutive regular season victory. We march into Ohio Stadium full of confidence and march would with 9-26 loss to a Buckeye team that wound up 4-6-1.
1995: We upset #20 North Carolina in their own place and find ourselves a QB- fella by the name of McNabb. Then we come home to lost to East Carolina 24-27. We can beat North Carolina but not East Carolina.
1997: Syracuse 34- Wisconsin 0. Syracuse 31 North Carolina State 32 in overtime after freshman Dee Brown tried to win the game by waving the ball at that invisible ‘plane of the goal line”, thus producing an invisible victory.
2000: We open by crushing Buffalo 63-7 and then can’t crush Cincinnati 10-12. (I remember a controversy over a Coach P decision at the end of that game but don’t recall the details. What would Coach Smith think?)
2003: We win a wild one over North Carolina 49-47 then lose a tamer one to Louisville 20-30.
2010: Everything is all right at Akron, 29-3 but not at Washington 20-41.

- Louisville isn’t exactly representing at Central Florida, down 7-14 in the 3rd. The announcers just said that they “haven’t found the spark they were looking for”.

- All teams have good players. Some of them have more good players than others. Connecticut has Nathan Carter, who is the nation’s second leading rusher with 313 yards in two games on 43 carries, (a 7.3 average). Safety Malik Dixon leads the country in tackles with 28. Linebacker Jackson Mitchell is third with 23.

- We have good players, too. Chris Elmore is one and so is Stefon Thompson. But they won’t be playing in this game, or any other this season. Several other SU players had to be helped off the field or at least the turf last week: Sean Tucker, Marlowe Wax, Duce Chestnut and Mikel Jones was limping. If we sustain injuries at that rate the rest of the year, this thing is going to fall apart - and fast.

This was longer than I thought it would be.

(And Louisville is winning now).

It took more effort than the other one.

Why?

Why would we post such negative vibes on the board the night before a game?

Why?

Why would we post such negative vibes on the board the night before a game?

Force of habit. I first did it for the 1999 Michigan game. I just record every reason we might lost that I can think of and then every reason we might win and put them on separate posts. That way, I've got all the possibilities covered.

I think...

Force of habit. I first did it for the 1999 Michigan game. I just record every reason we might lost that I can think of and then every reason we might win and put them on separate posts. That way, I've got all the possibilities covered.

I think...

I habitually read the “Why {Opponent} Will Win” first. Then read the “Why Syracuse Will Win”. It’s a game day tradition. Thanks for posting them.

I think...

I assumed it dated back further than that.

giphy.gif

- Because We are SU! The purpose of an SU victory is to get our hopes up so that when we lose, it will hurt all the more. And this one would be excruciating.

- I heard two guys on the radio talking about what the final score of this game could be and one of them said 66-2, because Connecticut has the worst football program team in the country. I remember 8/31/97, sitting in the stand at the Dome before the NC State game. We’d just demolished Wisconsin in the kickoff classic and the last time I’d seen the Wolfpack they were humiliated by Virginia 14-62 in a 3-8 year in 1996. I thought: “This is going to be great. I can sit here and relax and we can name the score!” Princess Di sure was pretty…

- Yes, Connecticut was 1-11 last year and 31-90 over 11 consecutive losing seasons. But this is the age of the open transfer portal and new Coach Jim Mora has brought in a busload of transfers from more successful programs looking for playing time to terraform this team. The went out to Utah State to play the defending Mountain West champions and the Huskie jumped to a 14-0 lead, (how well would that go over in orange Nation?). the Aggie had a huge second quarter to take a 24-14 halftime lead but the Huskies shut them down for most of the second half, creeping to within 20-14 with two field goals before State scored the clincher to win 31-20. Frankly, I’d take that score right now. Just win, baby! They are not that 1-11 team. (They also aren’t Wagner, an FCS team that went 0-12 last year- that one WILL be a walk-over.)

- UCONN takes great delight in beating Syracuse in any sport, as they did 5 times in 6 games in this one from 2005-2010. Their fans are hungry for the good ole’ days and we will hear from them.

- Dino in openers: 6-1. Dino in game #2, (despite “growth” from games 1 to 2): 1-5. The win is against Wagner. The losses are the 28-62 Lamar Jackson debacle, the “cigar” game, (in Scott Shafer’s mouth) to Middle Tennessee, the Maryland disaster, 10-21 at Pitt and last year’s Rutgers game after which Dino changed quarterbacks. Other dismal second games after promising openers:
1956: We open with a 26-12 road win over #7 Maryland then lose 7-14 to at #10 Pittsburgh
1958: We open with a 24-14 home win over Boston College, then lose 13-14 at Holy Cross, also our only regular season loss.
1963: We open with another home Boston College win, 32-21, then travel to Kansas, (we aren’t in Syracuse anymore, Otto) and get shut out by the Jayhawks 0-10.
1965: They open with a 14-7 win at Navy, then come home to lost 0-24 to a U of Miami team that would finish 5-4-1.
1969: After beating Iowa State 14-13 at home, we’re back in Kansas, Otto and again get shut out by the Jayhawks 0-13.
1974: Frank Maloney opens up by beating Oregon State 23-15, then loses to Kent State 14-20.
1982: We open up by crushing Rutgers in the Meadowlands 31-8 behind our new quarterback, Steve Peach. A Peach is leading the Orange! Then we lost at home to Temple 18-23, the first of six straight defeats.
1988: We beat Temple 31-21, our 13th consecutive regular season victory. We march into Ohio Stadium full of confidence and march would with 9-26 loss to a Buckeye team that wound up 4-6-1.
1995: We upset #20 North Carolina in their own place and find ourselves a QB- fella by the name of McNabb. Then we come home to lost to East Carolina 24-27. We can beat North Carolina but not East Carolina.
1997: Syracuse 34- Wisconsin 0. Syracuse 31 North Carolina State 32 in overtime after freshman Dee Brown tried to win the game by waving the ball at that invisible ‘plane of the goal line”, thus producing an invisible victory.
2000: We open by crushing Buffalo 63-7 and then can’t crush Cincinnati 10-12. (I remember a controversy over a Coach P decision at the end of that game but don’t recall the details. What would Coach Smith think?)
2003: We win a wild one over North Carolina 49-47 then lose a tamer one to Louisville 20-30.

- Louisville isn’t exactly representing at Central Florida, down 7-14 in the 3rd. The announcers just said that they “haven’t found the spark they were looking for”.

- All teams have good players. Some of them have more good players than others. Connecticut has Nathan Carter, who is the nation’s second leading rusher with 313 yards in two games on 43 carries, (a 7.3 average). Safety Malik Dixon leads the country in tackles with 28. Linebacker Jackson Mitchell is third with 23.

- We have good players, too. Chris Elmore is one and so is Stefon Thompson. But they won’t be playing in this game, or any other this season. Several other SU players had to be helped off the field or at least the turf last week: Sean Tucker, Marlowe Wax, Duce Chestnut and Mikel Jones was limping. If we sustain injuries at that rate the rest of the year, this thing is going to fall apart - and fast.
That second bullet hurt to the nuts. Was that the year that NC State went for 2 and beat us after we fumbled on the goal line. That was so painful - that hurt for weeks.

It’s all about superstition for you, huh? That’s all you got? :rolleyes:

Why Connecticut will win?
Because the fundamental laws of the universe ceased to operate.

That second bullet hurt to the nuts. Was that the year that NC State went for 2 and beat us after we fumbled on the goal line. That was so painful - that hurt for weeks.

It still hurts this week.

Always appreciate these threads SWC but I think this one you had to grab at straws (understandable). We’re gonna annihilate them.

Always appreciate these threads SWC but I think this one you had to grab at straws (understandable). We’re gonna annihilate them.
Yes, but we have to stop Turner and stupid procedure penalties. 27 - 7 at the half - got to stop the Schrader getting sacked because the dog D finally figured out they can do more than play the zone. Garret is on throwing, probably will be the best game he's had.

They, are of course, keying on Tucker but he's doing OK. We have to fix things in the locker room.

I do not want them "Carter" to score again. 54 - 7 would be very nice - we can do it - let's see if we do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom