Why depth will hurt Ped State regardless of weather | Syracusefan.com

Why depth will hurt Ped State regardless of weather

billsin01

All American
A lot of posts on weather but I think the bigger factor for the NAMBLA Lions has to do with sheer numbers. They're at 66 schollies right now. That means a minimum of 15 fewer 3- or 4-star players on that roster including some upper class guys (like Silas Redd).

They are younger and/or have fewer options at most positions than they have been for probably as long as Joe Pa (you know, the guy who cared more about the program than the kids getting abused in the lockerroom?) was there.

The sheer numbers and options BOB has to work with are a much bigger factor than how many guys they can rotate in and out.

How big is the typical travel squad?

How big is the typical travel squad?

Good question and i"m not sure, but I would imagine most teams rotate through somewhere around 35-ish guys and play another 8-1o on specials (including K and P). If someone knows better, I'll cede the point, but I don't think many teams rotate more than around 40 on offense and defense. That would be pretty ridiculous depth.

PSU has recruited well during the start of their sanction period. I know their squad will be pretty young throughout. But there will be no lack of talent. THe real question, as others have pointed out, is Can SU dictate the pace of the game on offense to keep a young and inexperienced squad on their heels? And can SU generate enough pressure on their inexperienced QB to force bad decisions and mistakes?

As I've said before, I don't think depth is an issue...not with the weather, not with the pace of the game. Youth may be an issue, but not depth. 65 players is MORE than enough. How much do they drop off talent/experience-wise in their rotations? That will be more significant.

They probably didn't hit as much as they would have liked to in practice. They probably couldn't run as many plays as they wanted to. Their Scout team is going to be a bunch of real greenies and might not provide a good prep.

Injuries might not have taken their toll yet, but the team is assuredly either tired, or (relatively) under-prepared, or both.

They probably didn't hit as much as they would have liked to in practice. They probably couldn't run as many plays as they wanted to. Their Scout team is going to be a bunch of real greenies and might not provide a good prep.

Injuries might not have taken their toll yet, but the team is assuredly either tired, or (relatively) under-prepared, or both.

True. But you could also make the argument that their starters have gotten more reps.

I really dont see depth being an issue.
You dont really rotate QBs, usually 2 RBs, maybe 5 WRs, 2 TEs, linemen dont rotate - just need a generic back up incase one gets injured. On D, maybe you have 3 DEs and 3 DTs who rotate through. You have a 3 LBs who dont rotate really. Then you may have 5 DBs.

Thats roughly 33 guys. I agree with the other posters who point out special teams is where it may rear its head.

PSU will play 2 QB's, 3 RB, 4 TE, 7 Oline, 5 WR, 9 DL, 4 LB, 7 DB. The only freshman expected to see time are 5 star QB Hackenberg and 5 star TE Adam Brenneman. LB depth may be an issue, and depth will eventually become an issue due to the sanctions later in the season or in the next few years , but they managed to be injury free in the pre-season so depth doesn't look to be too big of an issue for the team right now.

They actually have 71 scholarship players. They gave 'ships to five walkons last week, including Carl Nassib.

if PSu plays 4 LB and we move the ball at all then depth will be an issue. depth was an issue in the USC game last year in game 2. if they wont play any freshmen then many of the starters will also be playing most of the ST on a hot humid day..

look at what happened last night with several key players on SC, Vandy and other teams struggling to play a complete game.

SU looks to play 2 QB, 12 wr/te, 7-8 RB, 9 db's , 7 LBs

if PSu plays 4 LB and we move the ball at all then depth will be an issue. depth was an issue in the USC game last year in game 2. if they wont play any freshmen then many of the starters will also be playing most of the ST on a hot humid day..

look at what happened last night with several key players on SC, Vandy and other teams struggling to play a complete game.

SU looks to play 2 QB, 12 wr/te, 7-8 RB, 9 db's , 7 LBs
I didn't include Special Teams players, I'm not sure what the depth chart on ST is, but what kind of contribution are you expecting from the 8th string running back?