Why did Boeheim call off the press? | Syracusefan.com

Why did Boeheim call off the press?

Eric15

Living Legend
After Lydon made that second free throw to cut the lead to two, why did we dial back the pressure?

I hated that decision. We had them rattled and on their heels -- Rick Pitino would have gone for the jugular there.

That's what we always do. Why play aggressively and try to maximize possessions when you can pack it in and hope they miss?
The crazy thing is, they actually did miss.

I would have liked to see us maybe pick up the ball at half court.

They miss more than half the time. That's why the zone works.

After Lydon made that second free throw to cut the lead to two, why did we dial back the pressure?

I hated that decision. We had them rattled and on their heels -- Rick Pitino would have gone for the jugular there.

Can't like this post enough.

Hated that...hated the fouling strategy with 2 min left and down 6...hated Gillon staying in when he was trash...i hate that they want to shoot threes all game
We had so much success attacking the basket but yeah, let's just shoot bad shots.

They missed, but burned about 20 seconds off the clock in the process

I hate when he does this... Even if you take the lead, if they can't beat the press why back out of it? At a BARE MINIMUM, have one player pressure a bit in the backcourt so they don't get the full shot clock to look for a good shot.

I agree. We got the stop but they missed a pretty easy shot.

If he kept the press on down 3, why not keep it on down 2? 1 possession game either way. Tech was absolutely rattled.

I thought boeheim was bad down the stretch.

But it left us with 15 seconds left and absolutely no margin for error.

He always does that. In his head we have a better chance of stopping them straight up than in a press, percentage wise he's probably right. He presses when the dealer is showing a 7 up and he has no choice.

What's nutty is that forget Battle, Lyon, White or even TT, let the little guy win it all.

It worked. Didn't bother me.

The last two games we let our shortest guy try to win the game, that drives me nuts. It feels that JB was just hoping he'd get fouled in both.

Wonder if JB thought Lydon would make both foul shots? ;)

It was criss cross apple sauce passive aggressive.
Taking the press off relied on us getting a stop and rebound and score.
We were lucky to get the first two.
Hated the call. It wasn't why we lost but it was frustrating.

This is the way I see it: if you're Georgia Tech in that specific instance, does seeing a full court press that you have been struggling with make you happier, or does us sitting back in the zone make you happier? Of course they're relieved and happy to see us back in the zone.

So why do we do what makes the other team happy?!?

Normally he only calls it off when we tie it so IDK what the hell he was thinking tonight.

This is the way I see it: if you're Georgia Tech in that specific instance, does seeing a full court press that you have been struggling with make you happier, or does us sitting back in the zone make you happier? Of course they're relieved and happy to see us back in the zone.

I completely agree. They were dumbfounded on how to break it that last minute. Try to get as many possessions as possible in a close game.

Good way of looking at it. It's like in football when the visiting coach decides to punt on 4th and 1 and the crowd cheers.

The better question is why do we always wait until we're down a bajillion to ever change the tempo of a game?

It'd be interesting to know if slapping on a press when we're, say, down 6 and struggling would work. No one knows because it never happens.

The better question is why do we always wait until we're down a bajillion to ever change the tempo of a game?

It'd be interesting to know if slapping on a press when we're, say, down 6 and struggling would work. No one knows because it never happens.

The only time I feel like we ever aggressively press in the first half is in exhibition games against D2 schools. And I just end up feeling bad for the other team.

Can you imagine if JB had kept the press on, and GT had run out with a dunk on the other end? There would be multiple "why didn't Boeheim call off the press" threads. They pulled out of the press and got the stop they wanted. It's funny that posters in this thread called it "lucky" SU got that stop. Whether luck or skill, it still happened. Then the complaint was we gave up too much time to get the stop? What?! The Orange got the ball back down 2 with 15 seconds left... with the way the 2nd half was going, I would never have imagined even having that opportunity. Not sure you can ask for more than that in that situation. I don't mind speculation/wondering what would have happened if the press was kept on... but when people say it was the wrong call when we stopped them got the ball back, come on now.

Can you imagine if JB had kept the press on, and GT had run out with a dunk on the other end? There would be multiple "why didn't Boeheim call off the press" threads. They pulled out of the press and got the stop they wanted. It's funny that posters in this thread called it "lucky" SU got that stop. Whether luck or skill, it still happened. Then the complaint was we gave up too much time to get the stop? What?! The Orange got the ball back down 2 with 15 seconds left... with the way the 2nd half was going, I would never have imagined even having that opportunity. Not sure you can ask for more than that in that situation. I don't mind speculation/wondering what would have happened if the press was kept on... but when people say it was the wrong call when we stopped them got the ball back, come on now.

Boeheim is in the Hall of Fame and I'm just a random fan, but I still think the decision to get passive absolutely sucked in that specific moment in time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom