Why did UNC release Julius Peppers transcript and how did he remain eligible? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Why did UNC release Julius Peppers transcript and how did he remain eligible?

Only they CANT go into the league now can they. These kids give far more to the university than they get back. The universities receive large dollars in revenue and national acclaim from the work (yes , its work...) these kids put in. I dont remember the last time someone bought a ticket to watch a kid take a calc exam or bought a jersey of the number one trombone player in the nation. the universities make out like bandits, paying these guys a penance of what they bring in .

should these guys be paid? im not saying that..im just saying that lets not get all up in arms when we find out that the student athlete thing is a rouse. I dont feel they owe anything to the universities other than not comitting crimes and such public relations entities. So much of the prestige these schools have is due to their sports programs and everyone knows what is going on behind closed doors. I do not care. i just want to watch games. If i wanted to watch a true battle of student athletes playing bball, I would be a big fan of IVY league sports..and im not..few are..why? cause they just aren't very good. It simply too rare to find smart people with crazy athletic ability. they exist in numbers similar to hot girls without attitudes...

Truthfully, I kind of agree with you. Although my opinion on each issue tends to change based on how much I hate the school. If this was UK I would want them to fry, UNC sure they can fry too, Vanderbilt, probably wouldn't care.....lol

However, just to argue, the kids don't have to go to college. They could go oversees like Jeremy Tyler, or hire a personal trainer for a year - if they're THAT good they could get some agent to pay their way. Just because I want a certain job it doesn't mean I qualify for it - lots of careers have restrictions the NBA has a relatively small one.

The programs do make a ton of money off athletes, but they also pay for all the other athletes - the ones the school doesn't make a dime off of. And if you suck for four years and keep your scholarship, the school doesn't get that money back. It's a nice set-up for both parties tbh. Did Syracuse get their money's worth from Mookie - probably not, but he can still get a 4 year degree and a lifetime of contacts to try to turn into a career.

Expecting these kids to pass some low level classes isn't really that much of a burden. Plus, it's in their best interest because most of them are not going to professional athletes. You know the path ahead of time, if you want to play in the NBA most athletes need to study hard enough to qualify, and then pass at least a semester worth of classes - learning to read isn't really a bad thing, they should be able to do it in exchange for free housing, free food, and use of the facilities, free education, trainers, coaching, etc...

Hell, most kids pay thousands of dollars just to take the real classes...

Who ******* cares? These guys are there to play basketball, not earn a degree, or at least 90 percent of them at major D1 colleges. Im not sure what the outrage is all about. Guarantee you stuff like this goes on nearly everywhere. These guys are semipro bball players. I could not care less if the majored in Christmas tree ornamentation.

Well if that was true then we would have had Melo for the NCAAs right? Wasn't he deemed ineligable because he didn't have enough credits to be full time because of a mix up or a professor denied him credit for a class. SU should have made up some fake classes for Melo so he could play.

Only they CANT go into the league now can they. These kids give far more to the university than they get back. The universities receive large dollars in revenue and national acclaim from the work (yes , its work...) these kids put in. I dont remember the last time someone bought a ticket to watch a kid take a calc exam or bought a jersey of the number one trombone player in the nation. the universities make out like bandits, paying these guys a penance of what they bring in .

should these guys be paid? im not saying that..im just saying that lets not get all up in arms when we find out that the student athlete thing is a rouse. I dont feel they owe anything to the universities other than not comitting crimes and such public relations entities. So much of the prestige these schools have is due to their sports programs and everyone knows what is going on behind closed doors. I do not care. i just want to watch games. If i wanted to watch a true battle of student athletes playing bball, I would be a big fan of IVY league sports..and im not..few are..why? cause they just aren't very good. It simply too rare to find smart people with crazy athletic ability. they exist in numbers similar to hot girls without attitudes...

Steve, you're making a different point now than you were before. If you're arguing, as you seem to be, that the "deal" isnt fair, that's a legitimate point. But it's ridiculous to claim that classes don't matter and education is worthless for student athletes that have enough talent to eventually play pro ball.

Talented kids CAN go to the league without school, as long as they're (I believe) 19 or 1 year removed from high school. So if they're not into "class" or are academically challenged, they can play overseas or spend the year working out with agents or pro teams.

As to your new point, yes universities make money on athletes. But it goes both ways -- athletes get a free education ... something of great value (at least at legit schools) that many (willing to work) would love to be offered. Student athletes also get to play against D-1 talent and develop their skills before a national media audience. So ... the deal may start out skewed, but in the long run, the education kids get (whether it's 1 or 2, or 4 years) makes it a lot better bargain that you're allowing.

This transcript has an ax to grind and is mentally ill.

The transcript is not a person, so I'd say both of your premises are incorrect. Transcripts don't have a brain, and transcripts don't have feelings.

Many of these elite athletes go to college to play sports, and hope to make the pros. They wouldn't be at these schools otherwise, and either aren't interested in doing or flat out can't do the work. It is what it is. I can't work up any fake surprise/outrage here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom