Why do SU fans fear HCDB will perform like past coaches? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Why do SU fans fear HCDB will perform like past coaches?

I think you just answered your own question.

Question: "What in HCDB's history makes fans think he will have a What the !@#$ game?"
Answer: "Every coach has one every now and then."

Dino falls under the umbrella of "every coach" therefore he is capable of having a What the !@#$ game.

All 12 games? You are a solid poster and generally offer good analysis. Be serious, one in a season is a possibility, but to apply the same expectation to all 12 games is beyond the pale. Do you agree with the doom and gloom that is SU football? I don't and I back up my position based on facts.

You left off the part of the post which states, "just use fair analysis." We have posters concerned about beating Liberty, Maryland and other teams, which on paper do not match up well with SU and HCDB. What makes SU fans concerned about losing to Liberty or Maryland or any other team? Now apply the fair analysis to show why SU should be expected to lose each game.

Nonsense. All those situations are impossible. We play 12 regular season games, not 11.

;)

Townie's just "old school" like many of us. You young guns simply don't recall the old days.* :cool:

By old days, I refer to the 11 game season. I'm not old enough to recall the even older days of 10, 9 and 8 game seasons.

Last edited:
All 12 games? You are a solid poster and generally offer good analysis. Be serious, one in a season is a possibility, but to apply the same expectation to all 12 games is beyond the pale. Do you agree with the doom and gloom that is SU football? I don't and I back up my position based on facts.

You left off the part of the post which states, "just use fair analysis." We have posters concerned about beating Liberty, Maryland and other teams, which on paper do not match up well with SU and HCDB. What makes SU fans concerned about losing to Liberty or Maryland or any other team? Now apply the fair analysis to show why SU should be expected to lose each game.

I just don't understand where you're coming from. I've been reading this board since the late 90s AOL days and there is more palpable enthusiasm around SU football on this board than any season in the past 20 years.

Being cautiously optimistic isn't "doom and gloom." We have the strong potential to be a New Years Six level team this year, but we also could go 6-6.

We *should* be able to handle Liberty comfortably due to a considerable talent advantage, but absolutely anything can happen in the opening week of college football on the road in what should be a very excited crowd at night.

And then Maryland is a Big Ten game on the road. We will be at absolute most a TD favorite, probably closer to a field goal. That translates into about a 60-65% chance of winning. We will have to play very well to win that game.

I mean, 2001 Miami had games where they were taken to the end of the 4th quarter.

I just don't understand where you're coming from. I've been reading this board since the late 90s AOL days and there is more palpable enthusiasm around SU football on this board than any season in the past 20 years.

Being cautiously optimistic isn't "doom and gloom." We have the strong potential to be a New Years Six level team this year, but we also could go 6-6.

We *should* be able to handle Liberty comfortably due to a considerable talent advantage, but absolutely anything can happen in the opening week of college football on the road in what should be a very excited crowd at night.

And then Maryland is a Big Ten game on the road. We will be at absolute most a TD favorite, probably closer to a field goal. That translates into about a 60-65% chance of winning. We will have to play very well to win that game.

You know exactly where I am coming from, you prove it with the last two paragraphs.

You are defending your position and using analysis. You note we have a considerable talent advantage over Liberty and we should be able to handle Liberty comfortably because of the talent advantage. Your point that anything can happen should be understood with every CFB game, for either team; we spanked VATech in 2016 when, on paper, we had no business playing VATech.

Likewise with Maryland, you identify legitimate issues. While I think we will be bigger favorites based on our established system and Maryland in year 1 of a new system with an unproven coach, your points (legitimate P5 talent and playing at home) are valid and must be factored in a discussion.

To be sure, your comment was one of several along the lines of concern about the season. We are all Orange fans and each has a right to their opinion and on the sire are free to express their opinion. (Hat tip to the excellent mods that keep this site sane while having diverse opinions, and hat tip to the posters that generally keep things respectable, far more than we can say about many other sports fan sites!)

The OP is more about justifying their position, not simply anecdotal, cherry picking, blind side shots at the program. I get that everyone has been burned before. I have been a fan since my dad introduced me to SU sports back in the 1970's, I, too, have been burned. What specifically makes the skeptics skeptic about HCDB and this team?

All good man. I didnt take it in any offense just wanted to clarify my thinking

I think you just answered your own question.

Question: "What in HCDB's history makes fans think he will have a What the !@#$ game?"
Answer: "Every coach has one every now and then."

Dino falls under the umbrella of "every coach" therefore he is capable of having a What the !@#$ game.
Actually the game against Scott allowed Babers to get a lesson across to the team. You don't play well, and anyone can beat you. That won't be forgotten. In the future that can always be shown for a reminder.

This is an easy one. The stats bear out this fact: Dino F Babers pulls more wins out of his arse than loses a random game unexpectedly.

We should be more confident that we will win the toss up games than lose to an inferior opponent.

We've been better early than late havent been blown out under Babers once first half of the season. There's been a couple later on when Dungey hasn't played. I for one pray they keep giving us Clemson in the first 5 weeks.