Why do Syracuse basketball fans stand and clap to start games? The answer can be found in 1977 | Syracusefan.com

Why do Syracuse basketball fans stand and clap to start games? The answer can be found in 1977

What is he longest we had to clap? I recall a few under 16 timeouts. I imagine the road fans at Pitt for game Syracuse started 0-19 had sore hands (which didn't they tie before half)

Anyone wanna get on that. Since 1-19-1978 what is the longest amount of game time until Syracuse scored its first field goal?

That was very interesting! I have to admit that often it seems that clapping is obligatory and lackluster. Sometimes we stand there for quite a while. I wonder if it is applying pressure to the players that they don’t need or appreciate? Getting a basket is greeted with sighs of relief rather than huzzahs and “Let’s go get ‘em!” I am going to approach this with a new attitude!

This article is lacking. While it explains the origins of where AT imported the clapping tradition from it doesn't tell the whole story as to why. We had another tradition at the time that the SU administration found embarrassing and wanted to abolish. Specifically, as the opposing team starting line up was introduced our student section would chant a reply after each name was announced. Some of the replies contained obscenities so the hand clapping was introduced to replace the existing practice. At least that is my recollection as a student at the time. But "The SU Hey Song"...

This article is lacking. While it explains the origins of where AT imported the clapping tradition from it doesn't tell the whole story as to why. We had another tradition at the time that the SU administration found embarrassing and wanted to abolish. Specifically, as the opposing team starting line up was introduced our student section would chant a reply after each name was announced. Some of the replies contained obscenities so the hand clapping was introduced to replace the existing practice. At least that is my recollection as a student at the time. But "The SU Hey Song"...

The signs were around at the same time as the clapping. I don’t actually remember when the signs went away but it wasn’t too long ago.

Longest I recall was against WVU. I think the score got to be 19-0.

No. The clap and the "Big Deal, Who Cares, So What, Who's He, Big S*#&!", were both around for many years.

What is he longest we had to clap? I recall a few under 16 timeouts. I imagine the road fans at Pitt for game Syracuse started 0-19 had sore hands (which didn't they tie before half)

Anyone wanna get on that. Since 1-19-1978 what is the longest amount of game time until Syracuse scored its first field goal?
Pretty sure we went on an 18-0 run in that road game at Pitt to immediately cut the 19 point lead to 1. That was the craziest start to a game I can remember.

su1animation.GIF

Providence in 1998 or 1999. It was pretty close to the under-12:00 timeout, maybe about 6 total game minutes. Horrible start, down about 16-0. Made a good comeback but lost by about half that margin.

No. The clap and the "Big Deal, Who Cares, So What, Who's He, Big S*#&!", were both around for many years.

There was a stretch of time where Carl Eilenberg would make a formal announcement about SU advocating good sportsmanship and then like 30 seconds later was “BIG S—T!” I always found that hilarious.

I was at the Dome where Nova started out on a double digit run and we came right back on a run 1 point longer. want to say 14-0 Nova in the Dome?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom