Why do they coaches 10 million a year to make mistakes? | Syracusefan.com

Why do they coaches 10 million a year to make mistakes?

upperdeck

Living Legend
For all the money you pay these 2 coaches they totally screw up the last min of the game both ways.

First Clemson almost costs themselves a chance to win the game by not calling a TO and thus getting 2 chances not 3 to win the game at the end..

Then with 6 to go they run an iffy pick play that gets called for a penalty 50% of the time. But what if they call the pick and the clock dude lets 1 more second run off, then you dont even get the FG try. I get that its a play teams run but ask ND how they like how that play gets called for a penalty, theirs last year against Clemson was far less a penalty than what Clemson did this year.

But also what is Alabama doing. Clemson was not going to run, so line up in man and hold everyone, stuff the play and make Clemson have to decide on one last play kick the FG or go for the win, dont even let them get 2 shots to tie or win.. They would have kicked the FG.

then after Clemson scores Alabama does not have the team ready for that type of kick, so great it works.

But Clemson is an idiot for trying it since all the Alabama kids have to do is attack the kicker and knock him into the ball before 10 yards and the illegal touching would have given Alabama a shot from the 40-45 to win.

Clemson should just kick it OB and give them the ball at the other 35.

For all the money you pay these 2 coaches they totally screw up the last min of the game both ways.

First Clemson almost costs themselves a chance to win the game by not calling a TO and thus getting 2 chances not 3 to win the game at the end..

Then with 6 to go they run an iffy pick play that gets called for a penalty 50% of the time. But what if they call the pick and the clock dude lets 1 more second run off, then you dont even get the FG try. I get that its a play teams run but ask ND how they like how that play gets called for a penalty, theirs last year against Clemson was far less a penalty than what Clemson did this year.

But also what is Alabama doing. Clemson was not going to run, so line up in man and hold everyone, stuff the play and make Clemson have to decide on one last play kick the FG or go for the win, dont even let them get 2 shots to tie or win.. They would have kicked the FG.

then after Clemson scores Alabama does not have the team ready for that type of kick, so great it works.

But Clemson is an idiot for trying it since all the Alabama kids have to do is attack the kicker and knock him into the ball before 10 yards and the illegal touching would have given Alabama a shot from the 40-45 to win.

Some of this is hindsight. I don't think in the heat of the moment anybody is thinking, "I should have all my DB's hold everybody and force a field goal."

None of the coaches on the show said it either.

The kick, who cares there's one second, the game was over and Bama isn't exactly lining up for an on sides kick.

but if clemson touches the ball bama gets one play from the plus 40.. ask the giants how that works out.

bama needs to be prepared for what kind of kick may happen.. one thing its not going to be is a regular kick.

Some of this is hindsight. I don't think in the heat of the moment anybody is thinking, "I should have all my DB's hold everybody and force a field goal."

The kick, who cares there's one second, the game was over and Bama isn't exactly lining up for an on sides kick.

Agree 100%, and it's 95% hindsight, it's a mob scene at that point as well, 5 guys in your ear, game is moving at light speed, calls are made.

I think people tend to simplify things when sitting on their couch versus actually being on the sideline or booth. Sure, coaches make mistakes, highly paid coaches but it's not always cut and dry and the game along with the timing,etc all are a component

but Bama had multiple TO to use and only had to worry about a few things.

its also not like they dont prepare ahead of time for these situations its not baseball where the ball ends up in some place no one has ever seen.

goal line defense be ready. kickoffs be ready.

So, it seems that if Bama had fielded (cleanly) the rolling kickoff with their knee down, no time would elapse. So, Bama would have had a shot at Hail Mary from around the +40. That was likely NOT the best call by Dabo.

The line between brilliance/idiot and hero/goat are razor thin.
This all day. Last year Saban executed the greatest onside kick in a championship game in my opinion. If the kicker miss kicks it and Clemson gets the ball and scores, he looks like an idiot. Instead, since it works he looks like a genius.

So, it seems that if Bama had fielded (cleanly) the rolling kickoff with their knee down, no time would elapse. So, Bama would have had a shot at Hail Mary from around the +40. That was likely NOT the best call by Dabo.
yes and had clemson touched it too soon they had a shot too.. and all that would have taken was the upback on bama attacking the ball . as it was the kicker only cleared the line by inches.

yes and had clemson touched it too soon they had a shot too.. and all that would have taken was the upback on bama attacking the ball . as it was the kicker only cleared the line by inches.
And that's what makes football great. It's a game of inches.

Was definitely wondering why Clemson did not call time out with about 40 seconds left right before the great catch that put them at the nine yard line. They were on about the 25 at that point and had two timeouts. They even spiked the ball which really was not necessary.

Me, too. i was going nuts. It could have cost them a TD, as it gave them less chances to go for it and eliminated the running threat.
Was definitely wondering why Clemson did not call time out with about 40 seconds left right before the great catch that put them at the nine yard line. They were on about the 25 at that point and had two timeouts. They even spiked the ball which really was not necessary.

buddy ryan had a plan for this. he called it the polish defense

The line between brilliance/idiot and hero/goat are razor thin.

Spot on. I remember after we beat Georgia in 1996, in that wild finish, JB talked about how the only difference between a coach being smart or dumb is whether players make plays.

When we got the rebound at the end, John Wallace had the ball and pushed it coast to coast. JB said that his first instinct was to call timeout [and in replays, you can see him almost physically signaling for it, but then changing his mind], but because our star had the ball, he didn't. Wallace drills a running three pointer at the buzzer, and suddenly JB is a genius.

Would he have been a worse coach if Wallace's shot had rimmed out? As you state, its a fine line between something being a great coaching move or the coach being a goat -- and it is all predicated upon whether players make plays.

The coaches are paid millions of dollars to know what to do in these situations. I don't care how hectic it is at the moment.

I sent it at the end of the game live in the thread. Alabama should've called a timeout and instructed their defensive backs to hold all Clemson receivers. The holding call would have forced overtime. The play would have run all the time off the clock and given Clemson in untimed down to kick the field-goal.
This wasn't second-guessing it was first Guessing for me. Alabama gave Clemson free play. Six seconds at the 2 yard line does not mean you have to kick the ball. Give Clemson all the credit in the world for executing but Alabama coaches definitely Second guessed themselves last night.

I sent it at the end of the game live in the thread. Alabama should've called a timeout and instructed their defensive backs to hold all Clemson receivers. The holding call would have forced overtime. The play would have run all the time off the clock and given Clemson in untimed down to kick the field-goal.
This wasn't second-guessing it was first Guessing for me. Alabama gave Clemson free play. Six seconds at the 2 yard line does not mean you have to kick the ball. Give Clemson all the credit in the world for executing but Alabama coaches definitely Second guessed themselves last night.
At first, I thought the Alabama DB intentionally committed DPI on the play before for that reason. No question that holding all WR would have guaranteed overtime. Even if the clock runs out, the last un timed down would have to be a FG to tie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom