Why doesnt the SEC get called out for not playing OOC away games? | Syracusefan.com

Why doesnt the SEC get called out for not playing OOC away games?

orangeinjersey

All Conference
Georgia - No OOC away games
Florida - No OOC away games
USCe - @ Clemson
Vandy - @ NW @ Wake
Bama - No OOC away games
LSU - No OOC away games
TAMU - @ LaTech @ SMU
Miss St - @ Troy

I really get sick of the SEC circle jerk. Every year these clowns are given passes to play nobody except themselves.

Same reason SU basketball doesn't play any non conference away games $$$!

The difference is, for SU to win the Championship they WILL have to play 5 teams (typically from other conferences) on neutral court to win. Not so much the same in college football.

What I am getting as it NO ONE really gave LVille a chance in this game. Look at the scoreboard. No one gave WVU a chance last year, look at the scoreboard. The other conferences CAN compete with the SEC.

You're preaching to the choir brother. Not only do they never play a true away game but they also schedule neutral games in one of their areas and not to mention almost all of the bowl games are played in their backyards.

Florida has not played an OOC outside of the state of Florida since they lost to SU in 91. Imagine if our hoops team did that? 19 feakon 91...that's 21 years.

But the question was not why do they do it, the question was why do they get a free pass? SU doesn't get a free pass.

Let me add that by playing only 8 games within the SEC they reduce their losses by 50%. Bama never played Georgia, Florida or USCe during the regular season. This is what hurts the PAC 12 and Big 12, they play 9 conference games.

But the question was not why do they do it, the question was why do they get a free pass? SU doesn't get a free pass.

Because ESPN has invested a ton of money into the SEC and they will not diss their own product that they just spend millions on. Why do you think they are building up Kentucky basketball? No one else has a show like that.

Good for Charlie Strong, dude was an asst at Florida for what, 17 years? Never got a look as a HC? Told a few SEC teams to go pound sand with their SEC HC offers this winter, and now handidly beats a #3 ranked Florida team. Good for him, sad for the Big East.

SEC fatigue is setting in to many fans.

You want less of them? Watch them less.

Georgia - No OOC away games
Florida - No OOC away games
USCe - @ Clemson
Vandy - @ NW @ Wake
Bama - No OOC away games
LSU - No OOC away games
TAMU - @ LaTech @ SMU
Miss St - @ Troy

I really get sick of the SEC circle jerk. Every year these clowns are given passes to play nobody except themselves.
That's not (always) true... Florida played at FSU. Georgia played at Colorado (2010) and at Arizona State (2008). Last year LSU played at WVU. Last year 'Bama played at PSU. Next year Florida will play at Miami.

It is true that the number of SEC OOC road games is less than that played by other conferences. I suspect that tOSU and PSU have similar scheduling habits.

Edit: updated Georgia's road game info (admittedly worse than I'd expected)

Some of this will change when there is a playoff committee. Out of conference games will gain importance in seeding and weeding out the "bubble" teams. The SEC will be forced to play more, I hope.

Will have to see if the overall strength of schedule argument (similiar to what SU says about hoops) holds now that there will be some sort of selection committee for playoff eligibility. If the other conferences up their OOC among themselves, maybe they could get ahead of the SEC's circle jerk scheduling.

With only four spots and five power conferences, it's doubtful that anyone will qualify two teams. Would love to see the SEC champ left out some year, but thats never going to happen. Maybe at eight teams, someone else could send a 2nd before the SEC does though.

Some of this will change when there is a playoff committee. Out of conference games will gain importance in seeding and weeding out the "bubble" teams. The SEC will be forced to play more, I hope.

Until we realize that the committee will be a majority of folks with SEC intertests

That's not (always) true... Florida played at FSU. Georgia has played on the road. Last year LSU played at WVU. Last year 'Bama played at PSU. Next year Florida will play at Miami.

It is true that the number of SEC OOC road games is less than that played by other conferences. I suspect that tOSU and PSU have similar scheduling habits.

Has played on the road, that's kind of funny. We played 6 away games and yes the bigger programs like Ohio State and PSU do the same so does that make them better or just able to control their environment and thus avoid trap games? OSU usually schedules one decent H/H game and 3 patsies so they either play 7 or 8 home games each year depending on the H/H. Again, Florida never leaves the state so they don't have to deal with unfamiliar areas or even change time zones god forbid. Missouri screwed up and scheduled SU because if they have ever learn something from the SEC it's to schedule a high school during the SEC season just like every one of them do. Yes, they will play a tough rivalry game after the conference season is over and for USCe, Georgia and Florida that's a good thing.

Until we realize that the committee will be a majority of folks with SEC intertests

Yeah - there is that. If they are down again next year or Bama loses to ND, they may take a hit perception wise. The only way they have a real downturn in perception is if they fail to live up to expectations year after year. And then they just go from "hands-down the best, ever and always" to "one of the best" conferences.

Sigh.