Why hockey? | Syracusefan.com

Why hockey?

Of the three sports that use 7 game series, there have been 5 times when teams overcame 0-3 deficits in games to win the series. Four have come in hockey:

How many 3-0 series comebacks have there been in the NHL? Full list of Stanley Cup playoff miracles | Sporting News.

Why hockey?

My theory.

There are more games in hockey where the crappier team that night wins as opposed to basketball.

In a 2-1 or 3-2 game there is a lot of puck luck in terms of determining who wins a game (puck just goes off a buy to win).. and sometimes just a hot goalie. In hockey a team that is up 3-0 in a series is sometimes not dominating as much as the NBA team that is up 3-0.

Last edited:
My theory.

There are more games in hockey where the crappier team that night wins as opposed to basketball.

In a 2-1 or 3-2 game there is a lot of puck luck in terms of determining who wins a game (puck just goes off a buy to win).. and sometimes just a hot goalie. In hockey a team that is up 3-0 in a series is sometimes not dominating as much as the NBA team that is up 3-0.
I know I posted this article somewhere before.

Part II: Rethinking our playoff philosophy (on the role of chance in the postseason) | Statsbylopez

The better team wins a best of 7 series 80% of the time in the NBA.
  • In the NFL, a “best-of-11” series is needed to match the NBA’s better team advances rate.
  • In the NHL, a “best-of-51” series is needed to match the NBA’s better team advances rate.
  • And in MLB, an astounding “best-of-75” series is needed to match the NBA’s better team advances rate.

It just comes down to reproducible events. In the nba, there are so many possessions and scores that the better teams advantage is magnified. Make a good pass , take a good shot … it’s going in.

In hockey , too many successful events are required to result in a score such that your advantage as a superior team is minimized. Additionally, the presence of a goaltender results in a disproportionate amount of power in one players possession. And that players ability seems to greatly vary game to game.

I know I posted this article somewhere before.

Part II: Rethinking our playoff philosophy (on the role of chance in the postseason) | Statsbylopez

The better team wins a best of 7 series 80% of the time in the NBA.
  • In the NFL, a “best-of-11” series is needed to match the NBA’s better team advances rate.
  • In the NHL, a “best-of-51” series is needed to match the NBA’s better team advances rate.
  • And in MLB, an astounding “best-of-75” series is needed to match the NBA’s better team advances rate.

I check out moneypuck to get an analytics view of games. Game 1 between the Rangers-Panthers, by metrics Florida had an 80% chance of winning. They lost the game. Last year Florida swept Carolina - but were outplayed according to analytics in every game.

Hockey has a lot of games where you play better and lose - I think baseball just has more inherent variability in outcomes.

I check out moneypuck to get an analytics view of games. Game 1 between the Rangers-Panthers, by metrics Florida had an 80% chance of winning. They lost the game. Last year Florida swept Carolina - but were outplayed according to analytics in every game.

Hockey has a lot of games where you play better and lose - I think baseball just has more inherent variability in outcomes.

Baseball does things in rotation: you aren't going to have your best pitcher on the mound or your best batter at the plate all the time. You can't use your closer two nights in a row, (also multiple pitching changes). And there's virtually no contact between the teams. There isn't really 'defense'. There is pitching and fielding. It's hard to 'make' the other team lose.

Florida won the first three games by 11-4. Edmonton has won the next three by 18-5.

I think it's going to happen again.

Florida won the first three games by 11-4. Edmonton has won the next three by 18-5.

I think it's going to happen again.

Panthers trailed for less than 2 minutes total in the first three games. Last three they gave up the first goal every time and couldn’t quickly respond. When Florida get a lead, their forechecking helps grind the opponent down. Playing from behind, they can’t clog up the ice as well, and the Oilers are too skilled offensively for Florida.

I think whoever scores first Monday is winning the game - while they play very different styles, both teams can impose their style on the game once they have a lead.