Why I quit caring about the NBA long ago | Syracusefan.com

Why I quit caring about the NBA long ago

pearl31

in cahoots
Tyler Ennis: Good, solid freshman point guard with questionable shooting and finishing ability who ultimately leads his team nowhere. Coveted by NBA teams and slotted to be a lottery pick.

Shabazz Napier: Phenomenal senior point guard who can literally do everything, including carrying his team on his back into the Elite 8. Won't even be drafted in the first round.

Wonder where the Sixers will trade MCW to for a bag of beans next season?

DeAndre Kane is great too, with great size at 6'4". But he's "too old" at 23.

I'd take Kane over Ennis if age wasn't such an issue every time. I would probably do so anyhow if I was a GM. Potential is really all that matters now and I'm shocked that TE has such great potential, supposedly.

Same reason great college qb's like Tim Tebow can't make it in the NFL. It's a different game
Not even close. Great college qb's are mostly system guys. Great college PG's aren't exactly system guys.

Young,Noel, Whoever they draft this year.

Admittedly don't follow the NBA and just looked to see MCW's stats and saw all the players they traded away mid year. Crazy stuff. I don't think Noel will do much and hated that trade when it happened as well.

Not even close. Great college qb's are mostly system guys. Great college PG's aren't exactly system guys.

nappier. russ smith. marcus paige. gerry mcnamara. scottie reynolds.

great college pg's some didn't get a sniff in the nba, and some will be late draft picks that will be lucky to catch on. those are names i thought of in 30 seconds i'm sure there are hundreds more

Admittedly don't follow the NBA and just looked to see MCW's stats and saw all the players they traded away mid year. Crazy stuff. I don't think Noel will do much and hated that trade when it happened as well.

Mcw has been the lone bright spot in what has been a disaster of a season. I think Noel can be a decent player.

Their payroll is horrific with tons of cap space. What do you think there moves will/should be?

http://espn.go.com/nba/team/roster/_/name/phi/philadelphia-76ers

They will have 2 lottery picks to start. I think they said they would go with Wiggins if they got #1. MCW, Young, Wiggins, Noel is a good start. They could get a guy like Gary Harris or James Young with their 2nd pick

Personally I would go with Embiid and then a SG with the 2nd choice.

I didn't realize that they had another lottery pick

They have NO's pick from the Jrue Holiday trade last summer, which is top 5 protected. Doesn't look like NO will be top 5, so that pick should be headed Philly's way.

Tyler Ennis: Good, solid freshman point guard with questionable shooting and finishing ability who ultimately leads his team nowhere. Coveted by NBA teams and slotted to be a lottery pick.

Shabazz Napier: Phenomenal senior point guard who can literally do everything, including carrying his team on his back into the Elite 8. Won't even be drafted in the first round.

Nba scouts look at it as Napier is a 22 year old playing against 18 and 19 year olds hence he should dominate and play well. If you were to see a list of 22 year olds currently in the nba and then pictured them in college this year you would be surprised. Ennis is young and played extremely well this year. It bodes well for how much better he can become as he continues to develop his game and body. Napier is a finished product again playing against a population that besides the freshman class has seen all of the top players his age to two years younger be removed from the field of competition.

Don't shoot the messenger just telling you how they look at it.

I can't say that I have seen them play too much this year, but Build around Mcw, Young, Noel, Try to acquire another first round draft pick, and then sign a couple of free agents.
I didn't realize that they had another lottery pick

Suppose a lot depends on how higly you rate Noel. I really don't but if he turns out good then the future looks a bit better. I feel like theyve been building on Young for years and he simply isn't going to be the guy.

Ennis is young and played extremely well this year. It bodes well for how much better he can become as he continues to develop his game and body.

But this is just speculation. It is not unheard of for a kid to show promise and plateau early. As many have mentioned, Ennis needs to leave now why his stock is high because another year might expose weaknesses. Looking at this from an NBA GM perspective, they also have to be aware of this. If your job was on the line, wouldn't you want to see if a kid like Ennis continued on a positive growth curve at least one more year before anointing him a lottery pick? If the message Ennis was getting back from NBA teams was that they would not spend a first round draft pick on him this year, he would come back to college with something to prove. This is why I hate the NBA, they suck the life out of the college game.

nappier. russ smith. marcus paige. gerry mcnamara. scottie reynolds.

great college pg's some didn't get a sniff in the nba, and some will be late draft picks that will be lucky to catch on. those are names i thought of in 30 seconds i'm sure there are hundreds more
Oh I agree with that. I just wouldn't compare it to great college QB's. I think the situations are different. Great college players are just that, but usually don't have the athletic chops for the NBA. Great college QB's tend to be a result of the system they play in, even those with great skills. That doesn't necessarily mean they'll be any good as pros.

The main point should be, undersized guards just aren't long for the NBA.

And I'll take senior Napier over freshman Ennis, in any game any time any where

Absolutely! It's not even close.

I just don't see the allure the scouts have on Ennis. I see his play mimicking Perrentes (the UVA freshman point guard) whose game appears very similar, accept he has a better outside shot than Ennis. He also outplayed Ennis during our end of season meeting and took his team deeper in the tourney. Why aren't the scouts drooling over him?

Last edited: