Why I quit caring about the NBA long ago | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Why I quit caring about the NBA long ago

But this is just speculation. It is not unheard of for a kid to show promise and plateau early. As many have mentioned, Ennis needs to leave now why his stock is high because another year might expose weaknesses. Looking at this from an NBA GM perspective, they also have to be aware of this. If your job was on the line, wouldn't you want to see if a kid like Ennis continued on a positive growth curve at least one more year before anointing him a lottery pick? If the message Ennis was getting back from NBA teams was that they would not spend a first round draft pick on him this year, he would come back to college with something to prove. This is why I hate the NBA, they suck the life out of the college game.

I think the first sentence I bolded goes without saying. Ennis is leaving because he has the chance to accomplish his life long dream and immediately improve the financial standing and outlook for his family. If he wasn't a draft pick he wouldn't leave but he is so hes leaving. I'd do the same thing.

I'm with you I think college would be so much more fun if kids had to stay 2-3 years. I mean just look at how much more excitement there is with the high profile freshmen who are future stars every year, now multiply it by 2-3. Unfortunately the NBA executives job is to make their team as good as they possibly can not make sure college is enjoyable. Reality is too if they dont draft the young guys with promise someone else will and they'll be worse because of it.

Absolutely! It's not even close.

I just don't see the allure the scouts have on Ennis. I see his play mimicking Perrentes (the UVA freshman point guard) whose game appears very similar, accept he has a better outside shot than Ennis. He also outplayed Ennis during our end of season meeting and took his team deeper in the tourney. Why aren't the scouts drooling over him?

Perrentes is just a solid cog in the machine for UVA who is asked to not make mistakes. Late in games UVA isn't clearing out and looking for him to make a play or put the team on his shoulders. Ennis is in a different stratosphere then Perrentes.

I get how people are upset Ennis left and its a huge hit for us next year but lets be happy for the kid whos getting a chance to accomplish his life long dream. I don't mean this directly at you but it just is really alarming to see how many people are trying to tear an 18 year old kid down for doing whats best for him and not a fan base.

I think the first sentence I bolded goes without saying. Ennis is leaving because he has the chance to accomplish his life long dream and immediately improve the financial standing and outlook for his family. If he wasn't a draft pick he wouldn't leave but he is so hes leaving. I'd do the same thing.

I'm with you I think college would be so much more fun if kids had to stay 2-3 years. I mean just look at how much more excitement there is with the high profile freshmen who are future stars every year, now multiply it by 2-3. Unfortunately the NBA executives job is to make their team as good as they possibly can not make sure college is enjoyable. Reality is too if they dont draft the young guys with promise someone else will and they'll be worse because of it.
I place no fault at all on Ennis. Who would pass up millions. I loath a system that has evolved to a point where millions are offered to raw, underdeveloped talent on the shear speculation of how high their ceiling is and whether they have the character to develop it fully. Until something changes it is what it is.

Perrentes is just a solid cog in the machine for UVA who is asked to not make mistakes. Late in games UVA isn't clearing out and looking for him to make a play or put the team on his shoulders. Ennis is in a different stratosphere then Perrentes.

I get how people are upset Ennis left and its a huge hit for us next year but lets be happy for the kid whos getting a chance to accomplish his life long dream. I don't mean this directly at you but it just is really alarming to see how many people are trying to tear an 18 year old kid down for doing whats best for him and not a fan base.

Yeah, I don't get how people can tear the kid for his decision, etc. What 18-19 year old wouldn't take the money and run. I just don't see his NBA attraction, and I trust JB's extreme knowledge and opinion that another year at SU would be of benefit.

Ennis came of big for us this year, but watching that head to head match-up against Perrentes, I would've concluded that he was the better point guard. During our end of season struggles, Ennis did not stand out and just take over games, he doesn't have that skillset yet. If he couldn't presently do it in college, no way (imo) will he be able to do it in the NBA anytime soon...

Absolutely! It's not even close.

I just don't see the allure the scouts have on Ennis. I see his play mimicking Perrentes (the UVA freshman point guard) whose game appears very similar, accept he has a better outside shot than Ennis. He also outplayed Ennis during our end of season meeting and took his team deeper in the tourney. Why aren't the scouts drooling over him?

Really? I can't tell if all these posts are blind hate because Ennis decided to leave, but this is getting ridiculous. Just like O'Sully said. Perrentes is good because he is the 5th option in most cases. Ennis was option 1 down the stretch of most games. It was never on Perrentes to lead his team back from a deficit in the 2nd half, that's guy like Ennis responsibility.

Suppose a lot depends on how higly you rate Noel. I really don't but if he turns out good then the future looks a bit better. I feel like theyve been building on Young for years and he simply isn't going to be the guy.

He isn't a star player, but he is a solid piece. If they get two good players in the draft along with Mcw, Young, and Noel they will be in pretty decent shape.

He isn't a star player, but he is a solid piece. If they get two good players in the draft along with Mcw, Young, and Noel they will be in pretty decent shape.

Rail thin. They need to add some beef so Randle would make sense but if Parkers avail that's gotta be the pick right? Either that or draft Randle and then take TJ Warren mid 1st.