Why I think we will beat Pitt... | Syracusefan.com

Why I think we will beat Pitt...

Lawrinson14

Master Image Editor
Seems like in years past, Pitt would always demolish us on the glass. Let's take a look at our last two losses to pitt:

February 2, 2013, Loss:
Syracuse total rebounds: 21
Pitt total rebounds: 37

January 17, 2011, Loss:
Syracuse total rebounds: 27
Pitt total rebounds: 41

I think this year with Grant and Rak hitting the boards, we should not expect such a large rebounding deficit. As a result, Pitt will not get the second chance points that they thrived on in year's past.

I also think we are more patient and comfortable playing halfcourt offense than we have been in a long time. We know what Pitt will do and they know what we will do. Our team is better and rebounds better than we have in a quite a few years. Add the new emphasis of the actual rules, being in the ACC and it being a home game . .. . . . . I think we are in good shape here. Obviously rebounding is important against Pitt teams.

Za
Seems like in years past, Pitt would always demolish us on the glass. Let's take a look at our last two losses to pitt:

February 2, 2013, Loss:
Syracuse total rebounds: 21
Pitt total rebounds: 37

January 17, 2011, Loss:
Syracuse total rebounds: 27
Pitt total rebounds: 41

I think this year with Grant and Rak hitting the boards, we should not expect such a large rebounding deficit. As a result, Pitt will not get the second chance points that they thrived on in year's past.
Talib Zanna is having a great year. Upped his RPG by 2.

Talib Zanna is like Gorgui Dieng from Louisville. He is a good college player that could be a problem for our zone because he can hit that 15 ft from the free throw line in the middle of the zone. The only problem for Pitt is we can clog the middle as their shooters can't stretch us out like BC or other teams could thus Grant, Fair, Christmas can crash the boards. I think Pitt keeps its close, but we win because of their lack of 3 pt shooting. Syracuse 68 Pittsburgh 61.

I'm not worried about Zanna doing any damage from the ff line (though he could be troublesome on the glass and blocking shots) - I'm much more worried about the playmaking abilities of Patterson and to a lesser extent of Robinson and Wright. All 3 of those guys could potentially do damage within the 2-3.

Ollie has two looks: Sad face and I haven't pooped in ages face.
Or waiving his hands like a madmen when his team grabs a rebound to run in transition. Ollie is legitimately nuts on the sidelines he isn't Tom Crean/Buzz Williams level crazy, but watching him on the sidelines with these dumb faces drives you to think how the hell does his kids listen to him in practice. Then, I remember oh wait he was Lebron James mentor that is why they listen to him.

Pitt has played absolutely nobody!! this year. We win this game 58-45