Why in the past few years have we not been able to land any top blue chip recruits? | Syracusefan.com

Why in the past few years have we not been able to land any top blue chip recruits?

M

Manleymen

Why can't SU year in and year out come close to snagging blue chip recruits like Coach K., Roy Williams, John Capalari et al have? We've a great venue and experienced coach, why oh why can't we once in awhile grab any of the top ten players in the USA and Europe?

Well I guess that makes perfect sense. One obvious note to even the most casual fan is game after game JB is shown a lot on television both nationally and locally yanking his players after one miscue. And as the player approaches the bench he is further admonished and berated. If I'm a recruit and see that public humiliation of a player - I'm saying "hmm, is that what it is like in games - does it also happen in practices? And should we "hire from within" a recruit or his parents might suspect the assistant coach apple does not fall far from the tree. As unfair as that may be it is guilt by association.

Well I guess that makes perfect sense. One obvious note to even the most casual fan is game after game JB is shown a lot on television both nationally and locally yanking his players after one miscue. And as the player approaches the bench he is further admonished and berated. If I'm a recruit and see that public humiliation of a player - I'm saying "hmm, is that what it is like in games - does it also happen in practices? And should we "hire from within" a recruit or his parents might suspect the assistant coach apple does not fall far from the tree. As unfair as that may be it is guilt by association.
Yes, its how your personality is perceived and how you promote yourself in person.
JB isnt traveling to recruit like some of the coaches you mentioned. Also our regular season performance is not generating any buzz, its not able to get Gameday on campus because the record is not worthy of it. We win a game or 2 in March but that buzz lasts for about a week and doesn't sustain like being ranked throughout the course of a season. We are now known as BubbleCuse, that doesnt attract blue chips, generally.

Why can't SU year in and year out come close to snagging blue chip recruits like Coach K., Roy Williams, John Capalari et al have? We've a great venue and experienced coach, why oh why can't we once in awhile grab any of the top ten players in the USA and Europe?

Everyone leaving after one year Duke and UK basically recycle the top guys as opposed to them being spread out to more schools. Carolina isn't quite getting those guys as much but have built an ugly but somewhat effective system.

The zone thing is overplayed. Top guys headed to the league after a pit stop don't care about that.

Everyone leaving after one year Duke and UK basically recycle the top guys as opposed to them being spread out to more schools. Carolina isn't quite getting those guys as much but have built an ugly but somewhat effective system.

The zone thing is overplayed. Top guys headed to the league after a pit stop don't care about that.
And the recycling of top guys opens starting positions at those schools every season.
JB has 4-year guys playing 35+ MPG.
Top guys want MPG that's aren't as available at SU in current scheme.

And the recycling of top guys opens starting positions at those schools every season.
No. We would play a top guy if were to get one plenty of minutes. It's the top guys leaving and just replacing those guys at the same schools every year. It hurt almost everyone but a select few. Plus, we know that there has been a lot of money involved. the FBI showed that. And somehow Kansas and Arizona aren't killed for it the was we were for less.

No. We would play a top guy if were to get one plenty of minutes. It's the top guys leaving and just replacing those guys at the same schools every year. It hurt almost everyone but a select few. Plus, we know that there has been a lot of money involved. the FBI showed that. And somehow Kansas and Arizona aren't killed for it the was we were for less.
Sounds like a what came first, the chicken or the egg debate(?)
One excludes the other, doesn't it? ie: the top guy isn't coming based on the scenario.
If a HC has favorites that he plays 35+MPG, can a top guy be absolutely certain he'll get plenty of minutes?
Obviously, this goes back to the debate regarding recruiting guards at SU the past couple years.
Can agree to disagree if can't see my perspective.

JB won’t consent to and provide the necessary perks they require. Perhaps some outside the rules.

JB won’t provide trips to Heidi’s for Hot Dogs and Coneys?? Man we use to be a first class destination!

JB has one of his 4 year guys playing 35 plus minutes. Joe is playing more because the guy averaging 21 minutes transferred to get 22 minutes (until the guy in front of him got hurt). QG got big minutes last season and the other forwards last season got plenty.

This is the truth. How much did K's roster cost?

It's not as simple as minutes aren't available. If we landed guys that start for Duke, they'd get those minutes here too.

Sounds like a what came first, the chicken or the egg debate(?)
One excludes the other, doesn't it? ie: the top guy isn't coming based on the scenario.
If a HC has favorites that he plays 35+MPG, can a top guy be absolutely certain he'll get plenty of minutes?
Obviously, this goes back to the debate regarding recruiting guards at SU the past couple years.
Can agree to disagree if can't see my perspective.
Is it a chicken vs egg debate? All we need to do is look at the previous MAAs that we've had and see the minutes they've played. Heck, we don't even need to look back that far. Girard played 33mpg as a freshman.

Last edited:
What do you classify as “blue chip”. Wasn’t Benny a “blue chip or did it just change so the point can be proven and he didn’t have the year everyone expected?

Frankly it's because jb just isn't putting in the effort anymore.
Not joking, but he personally picked up a couple players from Paradise Found about 15 years ago at like 1 in the morning.

Now that is a coach putting in effort. No doubt a nuisance for him personally, but shows how committed he could be.

What do you classify as “blue chip”. Wasn’t Benny a “blue chip or did it just change so the point can be proven and he didn’t have the year everyone expected?
I think most people think McDonald's All Americans when they hear blue chip. That or a 5 star rating.

If you look at the 2022 MAA roster, there are a bunch of schools landing guys that traditionally haven't or haven't in a long time. Yeah, Duke, Kansas, and Kentucky have theirs, but there are plenty of other programs getting theirs. Alabma landed two for the first time in their history. After being irrelevant for a long time Arkansas and UCLA landed 2 each. Texas got two despite finishing in the AP 25 and having a high NCAA seed once in the last 10 years.

We should be landing a few guys like this, maybe not annually, but regularly.

Last edited:
Suppose that North Carolina were put into the Big East? Would they lose recruiting battles that they would have previously won? Does context influence perception?

Perhaps the question should be why are they Orange landing big recruits...only to have them bolt before they even show up? Kamari Lands, Dior Johnson, Darius Bazley.
Kamari was never actually interested, evidenced by the fact that he never visited. Darius bazely got offered 1 million to practice, I’d take that deal also. Dior was never going to be a fit for JB.

True blue chips like Coleman, Owens, Pearl, Melo are few and far between. We never get them every year.

The top tier programs like Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas etc...get them much more regularly. We are in the next tier.

When Duke and Kentucky changed to become one and done revolving doors, instead of getting a blue chip and keep them for 2, 3, 4 years, they are only getting them for 1 year. It means they need to reup their blue chips every year. So their demand for blue chips went up, a lot. Less blue chips for the next tier.

Couple that with our decline, even though we are still top 10 in terms of BB tradition, dome, HOF coach, revenue etc...but from a recruit view point, it's whether you can get me ready for the NBA quickly and whether you can show case me on national TV. If you look at those alone I don't think we are top 10. We are up there or close to it for guards may be, we have never been there for centers.

It is what it is.

Be curious to know how many recruits we lost that then went someplace further from home than Syracuse was from their home?

Is Upstate NY producing any top prospects? Kids may be trying to stay closer to home with the unknowns from Covid and on a completely different front the unknown regarding who their head coach might end up being.

Last edited:
I think most people think McDonald's All Americans when they hear blue chip. That or a 5 star rating.

Not me. It means Burger King All Americans to me. I mean who wants a Big Mac when you can have a Whopper or start early and line up a Whopper Jr.