Why is Battle going pro? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Why is Battle going pro?

Based on what...give specifics.

Based on how much he's improved his NBA odds playing in this offense this year i guess?

Our offense really is pretty brutal, its not like its a huge thing, but it is hard to truly stand out.

I just don't get it.

When Flynn, Lydon, Grant, Malachi, Ennis went pro I was disappointed because the team would have been better if they had stayed, but you couldn't really argue the choice given where their draft stock was at.

With Battle it's a completely different situation. Why leave early to get drafted mid to late second round. That seems crazy to me. Those guys rarely break out and have meaningful careers with huge earnings. It happens, just not Often.

He could have left and had a middling journeyman pro career literally at any point in college. What's the benefit of leaving after this year?
Maybe he's exhausted from carrying this program and players on his back the last two years.

At Syracuse he will be on TV regularly and will have much more visibility to scouts.

He's already had three years of that - his "name" is out there. It's not like someone coming off a season where they improved, and may see further improvement. He doesn't have much room to left grow - unless he could show off some untapped skill (Great PG! Shooter!) all he can likely do is maintain status and move around a little in the draft projections. So, it just makes sense to go unless he loves school - which he may. If that's the case, stay. If not, it makes sense for him to get paid.

Battle has nothing to gain by staying another year. He will likely be a 2nd round pick and make a few bucks shuttling back and forth to a G league team. Or he will find a spot in a foreign league. Playing another year won't help his draft stock, it will only hurt him being another year older. It's crazy but that's the way the NBA is now.

This.

He gambled assuming, like most, the team would be a lot better and he could really showcase his skill and up his draft stock.

Team really didn't improve and the offense is little more than poorly run playground pick and roll with no dynamics and cogs lacking skill.

It did him no favors, sadly.

This is why fans that got upset Lydon left were clueless. He would have been stuck playing center, basically wasting a year playing a position he didn’t project to at the NBA level.

I was happy when Battle came back - but in hindsight it was the wrong decision.

I almost feel bad for guys like him. They spend their whole life being told they are an NBA player

Being 23 years old playing professional basketball in Italy or France or Greece or Israel for 6 months out of the year is nothing to feel bad for someone about. He'll have a nice 10-12 year pro career, and with his great personality I'm sure will get into coaching afterwards.

He's going pro because getting drafted in the late 2nd round as a Junior is better than going undrafted as a senior. 4 year college players are the Black Plague in the eyes of NBA teams these days.

Hes best off returning and being one of the best players in CBB. There are plenty of things he can work on and improve.

It’s time for him to go.

He’s good enough to try for the NBA, but more than likely make a nice living playing overseas for a while.

We also need to move on from the Howard/Battle backcourt.

All parties involved need a change of scenery.
100% agree

I still think Tyus has a shot at the NBA - but it raises alarms that he can just get shut down and struggles to get past defenses

College is not 4 years if you get your degree in 3

Most athletes on scholarship for sports intend to play 4 seasons. Battle is very close to being good enough to leave early for the NBA but hes not quite there.

Tyus is a big part of our offense woes. I love the kid but it’s time for him to go.
I think the offensive issues predate battle. Makes no sense to blame him. At worst blame the people who recruited him and this sham of an offensive system.

I look at UVA and I see 3 players who are better pro prospects than Battle -- Guy, Jerome, and Hunter. 2 Juniors and 1 Soph. All 3 are projected to go 1st/2nd round this year. I am interested to see if they return. Battle is not found in at least this projected draft. He can leave and take his chances either in the U.S. or elsewhere. I, for one, hope he returns.

2019 Mock Draft | NBADraft.net

He wants to get paid money to play basketball over playing in our garbage offense for no money.
I wouldn’t play for free if I was getting my degree.

I think he has hit his ceiling. Last year he got lucky and had a great run on the NCAA tournament. He should have cashed in. Now he could be 3rd or 4th round pick. (He could be picked in the second round last year.)

I look at UVA and I see 3 players who are better pro prospects than Battle -- Guy, Jerome, and Hunter. 2 Juniors and 1 Soph. All 3 are projected to go 1st/2nd round this year. I am interested to see if they return. Battle is not found in at least this projected draft. He can leave and take his chances either in the U.S. or elsewhere. I, for one, hope he returns.

2019 Mock Draft | NBADraft.net

Of course they'll be back at UVa next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom