Why is it that the NBA has uniquely obnoxious PA announcers? | Syracusefan.com

Why is it that the NBA has uniquely obnoxious PA announcers?

FreakTalksAboutSU

All American
No other sport featured PA announcers chanting "DEFENSE" while the opposition has the ball. You don't hear NFL PA announcers screaming trying to distract the offense. You don't hear MLB stadium announcers trying to throw the opposing starting pitchers off.

But the NBA culture has become so ing cartoonish, the opposing PA announcer, the second that the opposing team gets the ball, will start screaming at the top of his lungs and a large drum sound will be boomed through the arena.

I'm all for making noise. I am all for home field advantage. But why is this behavior acceptable in the NBA, but in no other sport that I know of? If the fans want noise, let them ing make it. Let them shake their ing keys or something.

PA announcers need to stop being cheerleaders with microphones.

Yeah, it sucks and I'm an NBA fan. The announcers, piped in music, etc. They priced even somewhat decent fans out of a lot of the seats.

It's tough. NBA is different than other sports. Not only are the fans almost on the court, but the players don't have pads on or helmets to obscure who they are.

If you want to see the absolute extremes of a good fan base versus an apathetic one, watch an OKC game and then a Heat game. OKC has great fans that know when to cheer, etc. Miami, for how good of a team they have, has awful fans.

The NBA "experience" will lead to even higher levels of ADD in children, and some adults, than previously thought possible.

I agree on all of the above and that sound you hear is John Condon flipping over in his grave.

The PA guy at Wells Fargo Center is actually pretty good. Tom LeMaine, he is in his 70s and pretty low key. No cheerleading.

Miami Heat home games are unwatchable on TV. Besides the obnoxious PA guy, you have the most unknowledgable fans in the league.

As shallow as it is, this remains a big reason why I refuse to watch NBA games... especially if they play music or pep tracks during the game.

It bothers me because it's hard enough for me to get over my perception of the NBA as an entertainment circus league, so it's impossible to not think about that when there's a guy on the PA who sounds like he just got back from Amateur Night at the Apollo playing the "Da-da-da-daaa-da-daaaaaa... CHARGE!" organ-track during changes in possession.

Doesn't help that the league generally lacks any effort on the defensive end, as well as any semblance of team unity that exists in most team sports. Since only 5 players are on the court and 1 player can make a significant impact, the league has deteriorated into an individual game where teams are perceived as individual players. They'd be better served by more appropriately renaming it the "Offense-Only Ego-Stroking Entertainment League" ... 'OOESEL'.

Yeah, it sucks and I'm an NBA fan. The announcers, piped in music, etc. They priced even somewhat decent fans out of a lot of the seats.

It's tough. NBA is different than other sports. Not only are the fans almost on the court, but the players don't have pads on or helmets to obscure who they are.

If you want to see the absolute extremes of a good fan base versus an apathetic one, watch an OKC game and then a Heat game. OKC has great fans that know when to cheer, etc. Miami, for how good of a team they have, has awful fans.

The music is so loud in an NBA arena, it's legit insanity. I don't know if they think loud music will = me buying more beer or something.

Miami's fanbase is such garbage. People go there to be seen, my friend goes to some games and says half the people arent even in their seats, they just hang out in the bathrooms doing blow. OKC's fanbase is like a college arena on steroids, those fans are incredible. I dont mind the announcers/piped in music too much. Most arenas dont do that alot or at least enough to bother me and I dont know about you but I love when the Hornets keep doing the Ric Flair Wooooooooooo about 50 times a game.

Miami's fanbase is such garbage. People go there to be seen, my friend goes to some games and says half the people arent even in their seats, they just hang out in the bathrooms doing blow. OKC's fanbase is like a college arena on steroids, those fans are incredible. I dont mind the announcers/piped in music too much. Most arenas dont do that alot or at least enough to bother me and I dont know about you but I love when the Hornets keep doing the Ric Flair Wooooooooooo about 50 times a game.

The Ric Flair Wooooo is fine with me at all times.

No other sport featured PA announcers chanting "DEFENSE" while the opposition has the ball. You don't hear NFL PA announcers screaming trying to distract the offense. You don't hear MLB stadium announcers trying to throw the opposing starting pitchers off.

But the NBA culture has become so ******* cartoonish, the opposing PA announcer, the second that the opposing team gets the ball, will start screaming at the top of his lungs and a large drum sound will be boomed through the arena.

I'm all for making noise. I am all for home field advantage. But why is this behavior acceptable in the NBA, but in no other sport that I know of? If the fans want noise, let them ******* make it. Let them shake their ******* keys or something.

PA announcers need to stop being cheerleaders with microphones.

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/201...ologize-amare-stoudemire-extinguished-comment

nuff said...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom