Why isn't Duke better? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Why isn't Duke better?

Not a very enlightening response. Maybe you could share how/why you disagree. How did Chukwu ‘have Duke’s number.’
I don't feel like it.

Not a very enlightening response. Maybe you could share how/why you disagree. How did Chukwu ‘have Duke’s number.’
tag me in, otto

in acc action:
  • he only scored 8 or more points 5 times, 2 of those vs duke
  • he only attempted 5 or more shots from the field 3 times, 2 of those vs duke
  • he only pulled down 5 or more offensive rebounds 4 times, 2 of those vs duke
it's too much to say he had duke's number, but the two regular season games pulled his best effort out of him and it's a shame he didn't get to really participate in the rubber match

We had posters at the beginning of the year say Duke was going 40-0. Lol.

Not as good as the Okafor team, Uk team, or Wisconsin team from 2015.

they lost 1 game at full strength so not sure its Lol level stuff here

tag me in, otto

in acc action:
  • he only scored 8 or more points 5 times, 2 of those vs duke
  • he only attempted 5 or more shots from the field 3 times, 2 of those vs duke
  • he only pulled down 5 or more offensive rebounds 4 times, 2 of those vs duke
it's too much to say he had duke's number, but the two regular season games pulled his best effort out of him and it's a shame he didn't get to really participate in the rubber match
What's weird is Zelda said that I said Chukwu had Duke's number, which is not a thing I said.

What's weird is Zelda said that I said Chukwu had Duke's number, which is not a thing I said.
What’s weird is that a collij gradiate thinks single quotes indicate a di-rekt quotashun.

they lost 1 game at full strength so not sure its Lol level stuff here

Injuries are part of the reason why it’s so difficult for even the greatest teams to go undefeated.

Especially a program like Duke who almost always seems to have no bench and relies heavily on a couple guys.

FSU never got the scouting report that Tre Jones can't shoot from beyond the arc. Instead they ran out on him and he blew right by his man for easy penetration leading to buckets by him or a teammate.

I hear this excuse a lot for them, but literally no other school. It’s kind of weird.

Maybe because the drop off involved in losing
Williamson is basically falling off K2?

Maybe because the drop off involved in losing
Williamson is basically falling off K2?

Oh ffs I wasn’t talking about when Zion was out.

I was talking about the idiots who think Cam Reddish is a good college player.

Barrett and Reddish are both players who coast on their size and potential, but have yet to show an elite college game consistently.

They will be better NBA players. Zion is damn special.

I don’t know about that. Barrett averaged something like 23 ppg.

He’s been good. I still think he’s getting more hype based on his jersey and pro-potential than actual play.

Oshae has been more productive and efficient than Reddish. That’s how bad he’s been. Guys scr and NBA bust to me.

Am I the only one that thinks K hasn’t coached up a Duke team in years? Loaded with talent and they routinely fall apart in the Tourney.

fwiw, and i don't agree with it, but pomeroy actually has barret (#3) ranked higher than zion (#5) in his player of the year rankings (subscription required)

of course, that has a lot to do with zion having missed so many games, but still - rj is very good

Yeah, I think it's mainly because Zion has missed games, but the point does stand. I was a little cold on Barrett, at least as a pro prospect, earlier in the season, but I've come around a lot on him. He's definitely not the prospect (or even the player now) that Zion is, but he's a hell of a player.

Reddish hasn’t made shots in a while, is not good off the dribble, and is a subpar defender. He is Knox 2.0 - maybe the pros will unlock his potential. Jones, Goldwire, and White can’t shoot.
Their bigs must cover for their non-Jones/Goldwire perimeter defenders. Williamson and Bolden are their two best bigs at defending the basket, so their injuries were big.
Coach K took too long to realize that playing Jones and Goldwire together would create a very good defense. They are now a defense first team with two heat check guys in Reddish and O’Connell.

Am I the only one that thinks K hasn’t coached up a Duke team in years? Loaded with talent and they routinely fall apart in the Tourney.
What makes you say that? The last time they lost in the first round was 2007. In the 11 seasons since then they've won 2 NC's, made 2 Elite 8's, and made 3 Sweet 16's. Going back to 2000 it's been 3 NC's, 1 Final 4, those same 2 Elite 8's, and 8 Sweet 16's. That's pretty good. Winning in the NCAA tournament is hard. If you use that first round loss as the cutoff (K probably started loading up on the 1 and dones a few years after that), the tournament success is pretty similar.

What makes you say that? The last time they lost in the first round was 2007. In the 11 seasons since then they've won 2 NC's, made 2 Elite 8's, and made 3 Sweet 16's. Going back to 2000 it's been 3 NC's, 1 Final 4, those same 2 Elite 8's, and 8 Sweet 16's. That's pretty good. Winning in the NCAA tournament is hard. If you use that first round loss as the cutoff (K probably started loading up on the 1 and dones a few years after that), the tournament success is pretty similar.

They lost to both Mercer and Lehigh in the first round this decade. So that “haven’t lost in the first round since 2007” is definitely not correct.

They lost to both Mercer and Lehigh in the first round this decade. So that “haven’t lost in the first round since 2007” is definitely not correct.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/d

Edit: We're both right. Sports reference says second round. I just double ckecked it, they were counting the play in game as the first round. Regardless, the long list of NC's, Elite 8's, and sweet 16's is pretty consistent and what other schools wish they had.

Last edited:
Link doesn’t work, but are you going by the technicality where the two play in games are now considered the “first round” games?

They definitely lost to Mercer and Lehigh in round 1. 2012 and 2014, I think.
Yeah. I just edited my first reply.

Barrett and Reddish are both players who coast on their size and potential, but have yet to show an elite college game consistently.

They will be better NBA players. Zion is damn special.
Reddish has had a disappointing year but Barrett has been special. I wish we had a player who coasted to breaking Kenny Anderson's record for most 20 point games by a frosh, had a rare triple double for Duke and helped to lead his team to the overall number 1 seed. Sign me up for a Syracuse player to coast that well!