Why NC State will win | Syracusefan.com

Why NC State will win

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Because they are NC State and we are just Syracuse. The two schools have played 15 times and we’ve only beaten them twice. Our “trail of tears”:
Syracuse vs North Carolina State 1869-2021

- The most depressing thing is that circumstances never seem to matter: how good we are, how good they are, where the game is played, etc. Forget it.

- Because they are a better team than we are. In fact, this was thought to be potentially their best-ever team, one that could wrest the division title for Clemson, then win the ACC and maybe be a playoff contender. They lost their big confrontation at Clemson but played very competitively, so this is almost like we were playing Clemson. And they had the fortitude to come back from that big disappointment to beat Florida State last week despite injuries to several players.

- I’ve heard on the radio today that Devin Leary is out for this game but I haven’t found anything on the internet to confirm it. Coach Doeren had said that he hopes to have running back Demie Sumo-Karngbaye and wide-out Devin Carter back for this game. Even if Leary is out, they have an experienced QB to replace him. Jack Chambers, is 25 years old and thus has plenty of maturity. He’s a grad transfer from Charleston Southern where, last year he passed for 2,510 yards and ran for 464 and accounted for 24TDs last year. He’s not the passer Leary is but he can pass and he’s a bigger running threat, the kind of slippery scrambler we’ve always had problems with, especially when we are playing an aggressive defense as we are now.

- Their top receiver, Thayer Thomas has thrown 14 passes in his career and 4 of them went for touchdowns. Look out for the pass off the end around.

- Their defense is as aggressive and tough as ours and their special teams are comparable. They aren’t going to lose the game on that score and even if their offense has problems, they will stay in the game.

- What, really have we accomplished this year? We decisively beat a Louisville team that had badly beaten us for three years in a row and everybody got excited. But the Cardinals are only 3-3 with a 1-3 conference record that puts them in last place. We badly beat a bad Connecticut team. Purdue is legit and a good win to have on the resume, but they handed us that game with the 5 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties in the last minute of play. We barely beat a bad Virginia team and annihilated a Wagner team that belongs in Division III. That sounds like a bubble that’s about to burst.

- Sean Tucker got an infusion of numbers vs. Wagner to get his season stats back up toward what was expected, (5.0 yards per crack with 5TDs). But against State, he’s liable to go back to what he was doing vs. Purdue and Virginia, (2.6 and zero).

- Garrett Shrader looked like Tom Brady in the first two games, (79%, 5TDs 0 picks) and played catch in the Wagner game (17 for 17, 2 scores). Against Purdue and Virginia, he was last year’s Shrader, (56% 3TD, 1 pick). That won’t get it done here. And where is the two-man game with Tucker where he has the option of pulling the ball away and keeping it? We haven’t seen enough of that this year.

- Our defense has been amazing but those injuries (Thompson, McDonald, Lockett, Jaquez) are adding up and at some point, it’s going to start to matter.

- OK, we’ll have a capacity crowd. But they just played at Clemson. And SU needs to make the plays to keep that crowd alive. If things don’t go our way, the place will be the world’s largest library.

I don’t think they are a better team than we are. I think we are better on all three sides of the ball when healthy. They were way overrated coming into the season. Yea this will be a very legitimate test for us, particularly our oline. But I wouldn’t say they’re better than us. They’re not Clemson.

If NCS jumps out 14-3 or the like and the crowd stays quiet is a worry for me. I've always been a fan of the fans picking up the players when things go sour but sadly too often it has to be the players that pick up the fans. This is my why NCS might win because Dino's teams after a bye hasn't really lit it up.

If this crowd can stay loud, even if things are going poorly, I'll be thrilled.

You’re right. I expect some trick plays, but mostly I expect NC State to run the ball a lot. ‘Cuse needs to play man to man as expected, load the box, and don’t get fooled.

I know Babers’ record for games after a BYE week is poor. But we’re those games home or away?

If NCS jumps out 14-3 or the like and the crowd stays quiet is a worry for me. I've always been a fan of the fans picking up the players when things go sour but sadly too often it has to be the players that pick up the fans. This is my why NCS might win because Dino's teams after a bye hasn't really lit it up.

If this crowd can stay loud, even if things are going poorly, I'll be thrilled.

Essentially we've had three weeks off. The pack has been playing some big games.

So I had to look it up.

In six seasons under Babers, the team result after a Bye week is 1 - 5.

However, of those five losses, only ONE of those games was played at home (Duke in Covid year 2020). Every other loss was on the road: Clemson, FSU, NCSt, and L’Ville.

SU defeated UNC at home in 2018.

I’m interpreting that to mean the legend of SU performance after Byes had more to do with who we were playing, where the game was played - and of course late season depth issues.

This year feels different.

- Because they are NC State and we are just Syracuse. The two schools have played 15 times and we’ve only beaten them twice. Our “trail of tears”:
Syracuse vs North Carolina State 1869-2021

- The most depressing thing is that circumstances never seem to matter: how good we are, how good they are, where the game is played, etc. Forget it.

- Because they are a better team than we are. In fact, this was thought to be potentially their best-ever team, one that could wrest the division title for Clemson, then win the ACC and maybe be a playoff contender. They lost their big confrontation at Clemson but played very competitively, so this is almost like we were playing Clemson. And they had the fortitude to come back from that big disappointment to beat Florida State last week despite injuries to several players.

- I’ve heard on the radio today that Devin Leary is out for this game but I haven’t found anything on the internet to confirm it. Coach Doeren had said that he hopes to have running back Demie Sumo-Karngbaye and wide-out Devin Carter back for this game. Even if Leary is out, they have an experienced QB to replace him. Jack Chambers, is 25 years old and thus has plenty of maturity. He’s a grad transfer from Charleston Southern where, last year he passed for 2,510 yards and ran for 464 and accounted for 24TDs last year. He’s not the passer Leary is but he can pass and he’s a bigger running threat, the kind of slippery scrambler we’ve always had problems with, especially when we are playing an aggressive defense as we are now.

- Their top receiver, Thayer Thomas has thrown 14 passes in his career and 4 of them went for touchdowns. Look out for the pass off the end around.

- Their defense is as aggressive and tough as ours and their special teams are comparable. They aren’t going to lose the game on that score and even if their offense has problems, they will stay in the game.

- What, really have we accomplished this year? We decisively beat a Louisville team that had badly beaten us for three years in a row and everybody got excited. But the Cardinals are only 3-3 with a 1-3 conference record that puts them in last place. We badly beat a bad Connecticut team. Purdue is legit and a good win to have on the resume, but they handed us that game with the 5 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties in the last minute of play. We barely beat a bad Virginia team and annihilated a Wagner team that belongs in Division III. That sounds like a bubble that’s about to burst.

- Sean Tucker got an infusion of numbers vs. Wagner to get his season stats back up toward what was expected, (5.0 yards per crack with 5TDs). But against State, he’s liable to go back to what he was doing vs. Purdue and Virginia, (2.6 and zero).

- Garrett Shrader looked like Tom Brady in the first two games, (79%, 5TDs 0 picks) and played catch in the Wagner game (17 for 17, 2 scores). Against Purdue and Virginia, he was last year’s Shrader, (56% 3TD, 1 pick). That won’t get it done here. And where is the two-man game with Tucker where he has the option of pulling the ball away and keeping it? We haven’t seen enough of that this year.

- Our defense has been amazing but those injuries (Thompson, McDonald, Lockett, Jaquez) are adding up and at some point, it’s going to start to matter.

- OK, we’ll have a capacity crowd. But they just played at Clemson. And SU needs to make the plays to keep that crowd alive. If things don’t go our way, the place will be the world’s largest library.
Well, this post didn't age so well...

Well, this post didn't age so well...

This one aged better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors