Why not five 16 team conferences? | Syracusefan.com

Why not five 16 team conferences?

Dcuse

All Conference
80 programs should include all the players. Conference championships for all with the 5 winners earning spots in the 4 major bowls. A power rating of some sort would grab 3 more from what's left and your 4 bowl winners are your final 4.
Ahh to dream that idiots didn't run this thing.

Nope only 2 super conferences with a 2nd tier out west. B12 and ACC are on old models and will lose in the long run.

Nope only 2 super conferences with a 2nd tier out west. B12 and ACC are on old models and will lose in the long run.

if conference channels are the end game, why not 2 kind of united conferences of 32 teams with divisions reagionally like pro sports? and yes the divisions would look at lot like, SEC/B1G/ACC/PAC with big 12 teams fit in where it makes most geographical sense

It may not go away, but it may lose relevance and status. We may be in the new new big east.

The ACC is now the unchallenged best basketball conference.

The ACC is now the unchallenged besgt lacrosse conference.

No many how many cable subscribers the New B1G has, people will still greatly prefer the SEC games to the boring slog-fests the B1G offers.

2 superconferences? Sure, why not. We can call them the Pacific Coast League and the International League. Then we can have a championship game called the Little World Series!

Oh wait. We're talking football here right?

Because the powers to be think that is too many teams to share money with.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

80 programs should include all the players. Conference championships for all with the 5 winners earning spots in the 4 major bowls. A power rating of some sort would grab 3 more from what's left and your 4 bowl winners are your final 4.
Ahh to dream that idiots didn't run this thing.

the main reason by 5 x 16 teams doesnt work is pac 12 hasnt nobody to add except texahoma 4 which would kill the big 12.

MaxwellCuse - well the point is that the business model needs to change for the remaining 2 conferences without a network - mainly the B12 and ACC. Even if an ACC network doesn't have as much value today than the B12 and/or SEC, being able to pull recruits up and down the east coast, as an alternative to the B10 north or SEC south, is a powerful alternative. What really matters is access to a NC playoff...your conference starts winning, your conference becomes more important.

If Swofford really is a smart man, he has to understand what he needs to do for the long term success of the ACC.

Finally everyone seems to be looking east. I think the next move of the b10 is Kansas as the 15th team just to prove to the the B12 its vulnerable as well. Remember its not based upon on field football success anymore but the B10 adds another current major basketball asset. The 16th team, UVA if available, otherwise I have no idea after that and certainly not SU unless TGD works out an incredible deal that makes sense to the B10.

The media rights deal that the B12 is putting into play next year will cause those teams to bolt. I think the SEC, if it cant get NCstate because of the NC BOT and VT because UVA and VT stick together due to the government intervention, will go west and raid the B12 as well. Even the PAC 12, if they decide to expand to get more value for its network, will raid the B12. BUT they need to do it before the B12 signs off on media rights.

MaxwellCuse - well the point is that the business model needs to change for the remaining 2 conferences without a network - mainly the B12 and ACC. Even if an ACC network doesn't have as much value today than the B12 and/or SEC, being able to pull recruits up and down the east coast, as an alternative to the B10 north or SEC south, is a powerful alternative. What really matters is access to a NC playoff...your conference starts winning, your conference becomes more important.

If Swofford really is a smart man, he has to understand what he needs to do for the long term success of the ACC.

Finally everyone seems to be looking east. I think the next move of the b10 is Kansas as the 15th team just to prove to the the B12 its vulnerable as well. Remember its not based upon on field football success anymore but the B10 adds another current major basketball asset. The 16th team, UVA if available, otherwise I have no idea after that and certainly not SU unless TGD works out an incredible deal that makes sense to the B10.

The media rights deal that the B12 is putting into play next year will cause those teams to bolt. I think the SEC, if it cant get NCstate because of the NC BOT and VT because UVA and VT stick together due to the government intervention, will go west and raid the B12 as well. Even the PAC 12, if they decide to expand to get more value for its network, will raid the B12. BUT they need to do it before the B12 signs off on media rights.

The media rights have already been signed for 13 years. I highly doubt any Big 12 teams anytime soon.

It may not go away, but it may lose relevance and status. We may be in the new new big east.

I wouldn't bet on that. But that is certainly what some want you to believe. And they are working hard at trying to pursuade folks.

Because 5 is a prime # and the well accomplished meatheads that run this sport want to prove they can multiply by 2. Even if they can't.

The big problem for the acc as a relevant conference is fsu thinks it is too important to not be in a big time conference and make the maximum amount of money possible. They are the team that is trying to negotiate its way out.

The other problem for the acc is Miami has been a disaster since they left the big east. Ifmiami is a top 10 team, the acc is much stronger.

The final problem for the acc is that Texas and oklahoma are top 5 relevant football programs, so wherever they call home is important. The big 12 is a stable conference as long as Texas and ok are happy. If the big 12 stays together picking are slim for the PAC 12 big 10 and acc. If the acc is low man on he totem pole then fsu unc etc become prime targets to boost conference power and tv contracts

The final problem for the acc is that Texas and oklahoma are top 5 relevant football programs, so wherever they call home is important. The big 12 is a stable conference as long as Texas and ok are happy. If the big 12 stays together picking are slim for the PAC 12 big 10 and acc. If the acc is low man on he totem pole then fsu unc etc become prime targets to boost conference power and tv contracts

Oklahoma "Top 5" relevant? I don't think so. Not Top 5 Brand either. A strong brand, yes. Who would you put them ahead of? Texas? USC? Notre Dame? Florida? Alabama? Ohio State? Michigan? LSU? Where is the Knights/Pawns post when we need it?

Despite what people want you to believe, the ACC is not going away.
Either is the Big East but it doesn't mean it will be a player in major college football going forward

Either is the Big East but it doesn't mean it will be a player in major college football going forward

Well, we disagree there. I think the BE is certainly going away. I expect the BBall onlies to make their move before this season is over. No point in prolonging the agony any further. Those football teams will still be around...just not playing under the BE name.

Well, we disagree there. I think the BE is certainly going away. I expect the BBall onlies to make their move before this season is over. No point in prolonging the agony any further. Those football teams will still be around...just not playing under the BE name.
Yeah we disagree. My point is if FSU and Clemson leave the ACC then ACC football is dead. It would be the Big East 2.0. and we know how that story plays out over time.

I don't know IF FSU or Clemson are going anywhere but if they do (which lets be honest it wouldn't be shocking if they did leave) the conference is dead from a football perspective and it will change a lot of things going forward. Would it go away totally, probably not right away. Over time though if the SEC decides to expand plucks a couple teams and if the Big 10 goes to 16 and such...yeah maybe it might.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom