Why not have Oshae post up? | Syracusefan.com

Why not have Oshae post up?

Would love to start the Pitt game getting him a couple touches in the paint. Maybe see a couple go through early.
He hasn't shown that he can make that shot. He's had many opportunities.
Until he can, he can forget trying to push his way into the basket because defenders will not come out on him.

Hes not a great finisher but he invites contact. Hes a solid to great free throw shooter. Get him in the paint, where frank/dolezaj/chukwu/moyer will find him. Wish Battle facilitated better.

Wish JB would try it at least a few times each game

feel like this, along with TB/FH/HW on the court together for stretches, could benefit the anemic offense significantly

Wish Battle facilitated better
The only guard who was a bigger black hole than Tyus was Cooney. Marvin Bagley, arguably the best player in college basketball, averages more assists per game than Tyus (slightly, and well, he does have people to pass to).

The only guard who was a bigger black hole than Tyus was Cooney. Marvin Bagley, arguably the best player in college basketball, averages more assists per game than Tyus (slightly, and well, he does have people to pass to).
The tyus has noone to pass to argument is just not true. Not saying youre pushing that narrative

feel like this, along with TB/FH/HW on the court together for stretches, could benefit the anemic offense significantly
I know Battle is a guard(dammit), but his game is really SU SF-esque (KJo). Frank is a SG, and HW, is a PG. I don't think Battle's role on offense changes at all in that situation. He'd still float around on the perimeter looking for either an open 3 or a chance to penetrate.

The tyus has noone to pass to argument is just not true. Not saying youre pushing that narrative

I wouldn't say it fully justifies the assist numbers, but he doesn't have anyone to pass to.

Brissett's clearly the third-best offensive option on the team and he is - right now - an awful bet. There are people on this board hammering Tyus for passing the ball to him on that final play, when Battle was doubled and Brissett was wide open! They're wrong, but they're not crazy.

After Brissett, all of the frontcourt players are below-average offensive players for the ACC, at best. Dolezaj airballed an unguarded three footer. (I realize there is a debate about whether that was an airball, a question on which I take no position, but a debate the existence of which seems to be the strongest evidence possible.)

Howard's fine. Washington looked good on Saturday, let's hope that keeps up.

The problem with this team is not that Battle has tunnel vision (though he may), but that other than Battle and Howard no one can score.

I wouldn't say it fully justifies the assist numbers, but he doesn't have anyone to pass to.

Brissett's clearly the third-best offensive option on the team and he is - right now - an awful bet. There are people on this board hammering Tyus for passing the ball to him on that final play, when Battle was doubled and Brissett was wide open! They're wrong, but they're not crazy.

After Brissett, all of the frontcourt players are below-average offensive players for the ACC, at best. Dolezaj airballed an unguarded three footer. (I realize there is a debate about whether that was an airball, a question on which I take no position, but a debate the existence of which seems to be the strongest evidence possible.)

Howard's fine. Washington looked good on Saturday, let's hope that keeps up.

The problem with this team is not that Battle has tunnel vision (though he may), but that other than Battle and Howard no one can score.
Game after game throughout the year Howard’s found Chukwu, Moyer, Brissett, and even Marek for easy buckets. Even Marek and Moyer catch the ball at the foul line and immediately look for Chukwu or Sidibe open in space under the basket.

Tyus is a stronger, faster ball handler than Howard. Howard, though, looks for Brisset in the corner or Moyer/Marek/Paschal on the baseline when he drives. It may result in a couple more turnovers because our bigs hands are improving slowly... but its better for our offense.

Tyus does not look to board on defense, and he does not look to create for other on offense despite constantly being double and triple teamed.

People say Brissett cant hit or finish on a shot, but he’s hitting 80% of his free throws. Have Tyus drive and dump the ball off to brissett to get fouled, or chukwu/moyer to dunk. Better than tyus getting swatted at the rim.

We’re also getting offensive boards at a crazy rate. Penetrate inside and give it to brissett or our bigs to put it up. Either they’ll hit it, get fouled or board and kick out for an open three to a guard. Obviously theres a chance they miss and the posessions over as well, but its using our strengths to our advantage.

Agree but would like to expand to TRY ANYTHING different. Same old, same old just is not getting it done. I don't want to over react since the recent 4 games were all tough (WF should not have been tough but we made it tough). Need to right the ship and get back in the win column. Just wish we could come up with a few new twists with the players we have. I am sure it is not easy, but try something different. After Washington's game on Saturday, he deserves a bit more court time, so make a change or two.

To Cooneys defense, he didn't have possession of the ball even a quarter of the time Battle does.

To Cooneys defense, he didn't have possession of the ball even a quarter of the time Battle does.
True, I was just going by assists per game and total FGA. Little Jonny Flynn even averaged more rebounds than Tyus.

Tyus has the body to average 4 to 6 boards per game on d where we’re slacking hard.

Can anyone explain why the effort just doesnt seem to be there? At any point of the game?

It's a nice thought but will never happen

Game after game throughout the year Howard’s found Chukwu, Moyer, Brissett, and even Marek for easy buckets. Even Marek and Moyer catch the ball at the foul line and immediately look for Chukwu or Sidibe open in space under the basket.

Tyus is a stronger, faster ball handler than Howard. Howard, though, looks for Brisset in the corner or Moyer/Marek/Paschal on the baseline when he drives. It may result in a couple more turnovers because our bigs hands are improving slowly... but its better for our offense.

Tyus does not look to board on defense, and he does not look to create for other on offense despite constantly being double and triple teamed.

People say Brissett cant hit or finish on a shot, but he’s hitting 80% of his free throws. Have Tyus drive and dump the ball off to brissett to get fouled, or chukwu/moyer to dunk. Better than tyus getting swatted at the rim.

We’re also getting offensive boards at a crazy rate. Penetrate inside and give it to brissett or our bigs to put it up. Either they’ll hit it, get fouled or board and kick out for an open three to a guard. Obviously theres a chance they miss and the posessions over as well, but its using our strengths to our advantage.

Battle was 11-27 against FSU. The rest of the team was 15-40.

I agree that he should be passing a little more and that he should be hitting the glass harder. But battle is not the problem with this team, and him passing the ball more is not going to make the team appreciably better. It may make it worse.

I love Brissett. But he’s getting a ton of looks and missing almost all of them. This isn’t a situation of people just saying he can’t hit shots - it’s a lot of history showing that this year he’s not a good shooter or finisher. He’s shooting like 30 percent on 2a and 25 percent on threes.

Look I sympathize with the desire to believe there’s this one weird trick that will turn this team into a consistently functional offense. And I think there is one - 2019.

Yeah, I know how to use that site. I limited my search to underclassmen who shot a lot of FGs and threes.

Yet you still used Cooney as an example? Not all undergraduate players who had more turnovers than assists ? Yet Malachi Richardson, Demetrius Nichols, James Southerland etc never came to mind? Hmm

Malachi Richardson College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Demetris Nichols College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

James Southerland College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Not all undergraduate players who had more turnovers than assists
I don't see where I put that in my posts.

Srry to bring up Cooney's name. I know folks are still very sensitive regarding him. I'll see myself out now.

Yet you still used Cooney as an example? Not all undergraduate players who had more turnovers than assists ? Yet Malachi Richardson, Demetrius Nichols, James Southerland etc never came to mind? Hmm

Malachi Richardson College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Demetris Nichols College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

James Southerland College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

All three of these guys played the three not the two and probably none of them had the ball as much as Battle does.

Maybe Nichols and I doubt it ever had 8 straight possessions to end a game with nobody else on the team touching the ball.

Battle was 11-27 against FSU. The rest of the team was 15-40.

I agree that he should be passing a little more and that he should be hitting the glass harder. But battle is not the problem with this team, and him passing the ball more is not going to make the team appreciably better. It may make it worse.

I love Brissett. But he’s getting a ton of looks and missing almost all of them. This isn’t a situation of people just saying he can’t hit shots - it’s a lot of history showing that this year he’s not a good shooter or finisher. He’s shooting like 30 percent on 2a and 25 percent on threes.

Look I sympathize with the desire to believe there’s this one weird trick that will turn this team into a consistently functional offense. And I think there is one - 2019.
Brissett’s being asked to create for himself 5x more than a freshman with two good guards should be asked to. His fg pct. goes way up if both guards look to create instead of passing to him on an island or expecting him to bail the offense out within 7 seconds.

The missed open 3’s will come in time but tyus and frank need to pentrate and find him within 15 ft in space.

Brissett’s being asked to create for himself 5x more than a freshman with two good guards should be asked to. His fg pct. goes way up if both guards look to create instead of passing to him on an island or expecting him to bail the offense out within 7 seconds.

The missed open 3’s will come in time but tyus and frank need to pentrate and find him within 15 ft in space.

I agree with this. Brissett is simply being asked to do too much and probably wearing down. There is no flow or spacing on offense making things tougher for him. He needs to get stronger but I think Brissett is very good and will be better and better with better teammates. I do think he is a NBA player down the road. It’s a myriad of problems that probably won’t go away. If they continue to play hard (assuming the tread on the tires doesn’t totally wear out) then maybe they can win a couple more moving forward if they get some breaks, lucky bounces, and avoid some terrible turnovers at the worst times. But, the issues are so magnified now:

- A PG who turns it over at an alarming rate with little speed and a weak handle. I mean Boeheim said it himself that Frank is “not a running point guard.” That tells me his handle and speed isn’t adequate enough to run although I can see this with my two damn eyes. All you had to do was watch the foot race with the Colgate forward on the 3/4 court breakaway And-1 after he turned it over. He could not catch him, lol. I firmly believe Boeheim or any coach in America would pull the plug on him running the team if there was a better long term option and put him off the ball either as a starter or 6th man. I was banned for saying this last week so I’ll likely be banned again. He’s become a pretty good shooter and scorer which is a very nice silver lining and, yes, he has played much better than we thought going into the season. But, the bar as been set very low in regards to him and the last few years of PG experiments.

- Tyus really struggles passing. It might be by design or specific instruction, however. I did like the pass to Oshae because I cannot stand forcing it against extra help/defenders. Tyus is what he is and I think he can be a decent NBA player with more spacing available on that stage if they want to take him on and fix his mechanics and such.

- Sidibe’s knees are obviously an issue. He can barely jump and move. An issue moving forward unfortunately towards his tenure here.

- Chukwu has made yeoman’s improvements and certainly proved myself and many others wrong. But, he is what he is. Still a raw player with little lift and not physically strong yet. Koumadje killed us and suddenly became Mutombo. His FT line transformation is amazing, though. Truly.

- No PF production. Enough said. Hopefully Moyer can start figuring things and get some consistency going since Marek is overmatched physically.

- HW should play more. He’s not a long-term answer but the team moved better when he was in the game as opposed to pounding the rock into the ground, dribbling side to side without a purpose, etc. He’s getting better but you can’t make that bad pass to Tyus late in the game.

- Oshae see above. Next year should be interesting. I think he is going to average HUGE rebounding numbers. Bazely is going to operate more on the perimeter I think so Oshae should have his way on the boards.

- I could see us scrapping out a few more Ws or I could see a massive tailspin. The talent and scheme on offense just isn’t conducive to some epihany happening. They can’t beat teams with significant losses so I don’t see how we can take on ANY teams at full strength moving forward and expect Ws.

Last edited:

Sure, at the margins, this would be good.

But I just don't get how people think this is going to work. Teams are sagging off Brissett, and way off Moyer/Dolezaj. That theoretical space within 15 feet is going to be taken up by defenders because they don't have to guard anyone other than Battle and Howard outside of 15 feet, and barely need to guard Moyer/Dolezaj/Chuwku at all. Moyer's actually very good at making cuts within the limited space left to operate; I haven't seen Brissett do that as much. (It's not easy.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom