Why not have Oshae post up? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Why not have Oshae post up?

Sure, at the margins, this would be good.

But I just don't get how people think this is going to work. Teams are sagging off Brissett, and way off Moyer/Dolezaj. That theoretical space within 15 feet is going to be taken up by defenders because they don't have to guard anyone other than Battle and Howard outside of 15 feet, and barely need to guard Moyer/Dolezaj/Chuwku at all. Moyer's actually very good at making cuts within the limited space left to operate; I haven't seen Brissett do that as much. (It's not easy.)
I wouldnt guard either of those 4 either if I knew Battle had the ball and wasnt going to look to pass to them anyways.

Our individual style of play makes it 2.5 on 5 for 80% of the shot clock when we’re on offense. It’s just very frustrating. I agree, in theory what seems to be the obvious fixes may work. Who knows what the hell adjustments will happen though.

Yet you still used Cooney as an example? Not all undergraduate players who had more turnovers than assists ? Yet Malachi Richardson, Demetrius Nichols, James Southerland etc never came to mind? Hmm

Malachi Richardson College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Demetris Nichols College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

James Southerland College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com
Malachi was a freshman 1 and done who was All-Rookie team ACC.

Nichols was first team all-Big East as a Senior and a good rotation player for his Junior year.

Southerland improved every year and was deadly his Senior year.

Cooney was the same player for 3 years but with more minutes per game each year and averaged an extra steal his Senior year.

Cooney played high 30 mpg he gets scrutiny because JB never had a guard to challenge him. Cooney’s usage rate was ridlicious and that hurt his numbers. Cooney is a lighting rod because he played minutes like he had Battle’s talent.

Those other guys you brought in didn’t play minimum 32 mpg for 3 years.

Tyus Battle doesn’t have the help that Cooney had.
I feel bad for what the coaching staff did to Cooney.
The kid shouldn’t have played all those minutes it hurt his game.

Did OB have time to drive the ball on that last 3? I thought there was some time left and I would have preferred that to his stand still 3, but my memory is fading.

Did OB have time to drive the ball on that last 3? I thought there was some time left and I would have preferred that to his stand still 3, but my memory is fading.

Would people be more upset if he drives and crashes into the defender and picks up a charge?

The shot was fine. People need to get over it. Wide open look from 3 by the small forward on a division 1 basketball team. If you want to argue something, argue for a pump fake as the defender was flying over.

Let's move on (not directed at you).

Would people be more upset if he drives and crashes into the defender and picks up a charge?

The shot was fine. People need to get over it. Wide open look from 3 by the small forward on a division 1 basketball team. If you want to argue something, argue for a pump fake as the defender was flying over.

That’s how I felt. Wide open off a good basketball play for a change. No problem with it. Way other issues in that game than that play.

lol yeah let's forget about the situational aspect. The game was tied, we needed exactly 1 point.

Tyus has the body to average 4 to 6 boards per game on d where we’re slacking hard.

Can anyone explain why the effort just doesnt seem to be there? At any point of the game?

I don't get it either. Watching Tyus the FSU game you really notice that he simply watches the ball and watches the scrum as opposed to getting in there. He does it on free throws, loose balls and rebounds. Some players have the mindset that every ball is going to be there's no matter what. Some do not. It's really a shame because we need him to rebound like a 6'5 guard on this team. he didn't even get any rebounds while playing SF for a good chunk of the game.

Cuse!

I don't get it either. Watching Tyus the FSU game you really notice that he simply watches the ball and watches the scrum as opposed to getting in there. He does it on free throws, loose balls and rebounds. Some players have the mindset that every ball is going to be there's no matter what. Some do not. It's really a shame because we need him to rebound like a 6'5 guard on this team. he didn't even get any rebounds while playing SF for a good chunk of the game.

Cuse!
Could that back injury have hampered him more than we’d thought?

Im wondering if the kids pressing through something he should have rested longer on.

I agree with this. Brissett is simply being asked to do too much and probably wearing down. There is no flow or spacing on offense making things tougher for him. He needs to get stronger but I think Brissett is very good and will be better and better with better teammates. I do think he is a NBA player down the road. It’s a myriad of problems that probably won’t go away. If they continue to play hard (assuming the tread on the tires doesn’t totally wear out) then maybe they can win a couple more moving forward if they get some breaks, lucky bounces, and avoid some terrible turnovers at the worst times. But, the issues are so magnified now:

- A PG who turns it over at an alarming rate with little speed and a weak handle. I mean Boeheim said it himself that Frank is “not a running point guard.” That tells me his handle and speed isn’t adequate enough to run although I can see this with my two damn eyes. All you had to do was watch the foot race with the Colgate forward on the 3/4 court breakaway And-1 after he turned it over. He could not catch him, lol. I firmly believe Boeheim or any coach in America would pull the plug on him running the team if there was a better long term option and put him off the ball either as a starter or 6th man. I was banned for saying this last week so I’ll likely be banned again. He’s become a pretty good shooter and scorer which is a very nice silver lining and, yes, he has played much better than we thought going into the season. But, the bar as been set very low in regards to him and the last few years of PG experiments.

- Tyus really struggles passing. It might be by design or specific instruction, however. I did like the pass to Oshae because I cannot stand forcing it against extra help/defenders. Tyus is what he is and I think he can be a decent NBA player with more spacing available on that stage if they want to take him on and fix his mechanics and such.

- Sidibe’s knees are obviously an issue. He can barely jump and move. An issue moving forward unfortunately towards his tenure here.

- Chukwu has made yeoman’s improvements and certainly proved myself and many others wrong. But, he is what he is. Still a raw player with little lift and not physically strong yet. Koumadje killed us and suddenly became Mutombo. His FT line transformation is amazing, though. Truly.

- No PF production. Enough said. Hopefully Moyer can start figuring things and get some consistency going since Marek is overmatched physically.

- HW should play more. He’s not a long-term answer but the team moved better when he was in the game as opposed to pounding the rock into the ground, dribbling side to side without a purpose, etc. He’s getting better but you can’t make that bad pass to Tyus late in the game.

- Oshae see above. Next year should be interesting. I think he is going to average HUGE rebounding numbers. Bazely is going to operate more on the perimeter I think so Oshae should have his way on the boards.

- I could see us scrapping out a few more Ws or I could see a massive tailspin. The talent and scheme on offense just isn’t conducive to some epihany happening. They can’t beat teams with significant losses so I don’t see how we can take on ANY teams at full strength moving forward and expect Ws.

Love the breakdown of the entire team in a thread about Oshae posting up, just so you can take your oh-so-repetitive digs at Frank. You're getting ever so creative with these.

lol yeah let's forget about the situational aspect. The game was tied, we needed exactly 1 point.

Just because you need 1 point doesnt mean a 3 can't be the best look you might get.

Shot was fine. I am all for driving inside but this was a great pass to a wide open player with the clock ticking down.

Would LOVE to see the reaction if he drove and got a charge.

Would love to start the Pitt game getting him a couple touches in the paint. Maybe see a couple go through early and/or get to the line.
Be careful what you wish for ... late in Saturday's game at FSU, Marek fed Brissett perfectly on the low blocks...
Brissett turned/faced up, and promptly had the ball tied up by the Seminole's 6-1 point guard CJ Walker.
I tend to agree with you, but Oshae's not exactly Kevin McHale on the blocks just yet.

Love the breakdown of the entire team in a thread about Oshae posting up, just so you can take your oh-so-repetitive digs at Frank. You're getting ever so creative with these.

At your service! I did sprinkle in some positives all over. Go ahead and enlighten me with any inaccuracies re: Frank or anything else. Why the hell would I or anybody else try to post anything false on here?

remember Battle hit a very similar shot as a frosh 4th scoring option on a team loaded with shooters to beat Clemson last season (when the team's NBA 1st rounder passed up a chance to try and score in the lane). Sometimes they go in, sometimes they don't.

It was the right play. He would've been called for a charge. We miss that ball movement this season.

Be careful what you wish for ... late in Saturday's game at FSU, Marek fed Brissett perfectly on the low blocks...
Brissett turned/faced up, and promptly had the ball tied up by the Seminole's 6-1 point guard CJ Walker.
I tend to agree with you, but Oshae's not exactly Kevin McHale on the blocks just yet.

I don't recall the play, but if the PG is immediately tying the ball up, that's a question of spacing not being right for the pass. Potentially. Wish I still had the game on DVD, but that one had to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom