Why not Washington over Thorpe? | Syracusefan.com

Why not Washington over Thorpe?

Cuse_NYC

Starter
I guess GT is a better defender with a touch more size... but I would absolutely rather have HW in there for offense. Kind of wonder how the hell GT avg’d 16+ last season.

I guess GT is a better defender with a touch more size... but I would absolutely rather have HW in there for offense. Kind of wonder how the hell GT avg’d 16+ last season.

Because he had to do it all for South Florida. He's only expected to do a fraction of that for SU.

Better defender
Touch more size
5 years college experience vs. 5 minutes college experience
Geno has scored 36pts ytd, HoWash has 0.
Geno shooting 80% of FT's so far, HoWash hasn't taken one yet.
I could go on...

Unless the Frosh is far and away the better player, JB will always play the upperclassman.

Last edited:
I actually think Thorpe is pretty good, just still getting acclimated and caught up after the injury. It's tough, though, because Frank and Tyus are our two best players, and while Tyus can play the 3, it's not our best lineup. Minutes may be very scarce this year.

I actually think Thorpe is pretty good, just still getting acclimated and caught up after the injury. It's tough, though, because Frank and Tyus are our two best players, and while Tyus can play the 3, it's not our best lineup. Minutes may be very scarce this year.

I totally expect Thorpe to break out and get more minutes as the season progresses.

Thorpe plays SG, exclusively. Washington is a PG, exclusively.

I totally expect Thorpe to break out and get more minutes as the season progresses.

I don't see where Thorpe gets any more minutes assuming everyone is healthy. FH appears to have turned the corner and we all know Battle is playing 38-39 in every competitive game. That doesn't leave a lot of minutes for Geno.

I don't see where Thorpe gets any more minutes assuming everyone is healthy. FH appears to have turned the corner and we all know Battle is playing 38-39 in every competitive game. That doesn't leave a lot of minutes for Geno.

Fans love to hammer JB over ‘boeheiming’ players but he usually has a bit more fluidity than folks give him credit for. There will be a game where frank strufggles or battle is in foul trouble/nicked up and Geno will get some opportunity. He’ll also get a bunch of minutes vs. the few cupcakes we have left. Wouldn’t rule out a bigger role if he can get healthy and prove he can contribute in those games.

not impressed at all with thorpe. doesnt look like he belongs with the big boys. i think hes gonna be completely overmatched once we hit acc play. hope im wrong!!

He's just not better than Battle or Howard, so there's no reason to expect his minutes to go up any time soon, barring injury/fouls.

With how Dolezaj has acclimated to the zone and the hustle/rebound he brings, we don't have to use Tyus on the wing much, if at all.

There are really no options for Thorpe to play, other than to give a breather. He's probably a solid player and better than he's shown, but the opportunity isn't what he expected, I'd guess.

Unreal how after 6 games, some are more than ready to jettison Thorpe for an untested freshman. This despite JB himself saying that all Thorpe needs is to figure things out & he’ll become a big contributor to this team’s success.
I think I’ll take the HOF HC and his analysis, over the typical hyperkinetic fans who’re prematurely ready to switch gears at a moment’s notice. Just sayin’...

yep, with both Geno and MM the progress isn't a steady line so far - sort of one step forward, one back... I think they'll both contribute this season tho

Fans love to hammer JB over ‘boeheiming’ players but he usually has a bit more fluidity than folks give him credit for. There will be a game where frank strufggles or battle is in foul trouble/nicked up and Geno will get some opportunity. He’ll also get a bunch of minutes vs. the few cupcakes we have left. Wouldn’t rule out a bigger role if he can get healthy and prove he can contribute in those games.

I agree. His stat line was 4 minutes and 2 turnovers yesterday. With the way the other two guards were playing no wonder JAB had a short leash with him. Thorpe has proven he can play at this level and you see an occasional flash of it. I hope he keeps working and stays positive. There will be games where we need him to contribute to the offense. And although we haven't needed it, and I love the length, I think we will see some three guard sets as the season goes on. Open things up a bit. I mean, FH, GT, TB, OB, and PC/BS or even MD. With shots falling that's a sick lineup.

Remember JB's comments last year about graduate players coming in and learning just like freshman. Much of the experience they have is knowing how their previous team did things.

Unreal how after 6 games, some are more than ready to jettison Thorpe for an untested freshman. This despite JB himself saying that all Thorpe needs is to figure things out & he’ll become a big contributor to this team’s success.
I think I’ll take the HOF HC and his analysis, over the typical hyperkinetic fans who’re prematurely ready to switch gears at a moment’s notice. Just sayin’...
How is it unreal? We’ve seen him for 6 games... he looks small, like he can’t dribble, certainly cannot finish inside(how many times has he been blocked?) and even the defense doesn’t look good. I’m not going off of production, just the eye test. More Washington minutes may benefit us in the long run this season and the seasons ahead. We don’t owe anythig to him just because he is a 5th yr... if he can’t contribute, he should not play. He cannot even last a TV timeout withot JB having to yank him. I actually haven’t minded what I’ve seen from HW. Better handler, quicker and smoother shot. Look I want whats best for the team and I know you all do too, but it seems like wishful thinking to believe there’s something more coming from GT.

yep, with both Geno and MM the progress isn't a steady line so far - sort of one step forward, one back... I think they'll both contribute this season tho
I agree that both MM and Geno are progressing slower than many of us wish but will have larger roles to play as the season marches on. Trying to recall how many games it took Gillon last season to start to fit in. Think it was into January. Of course with Geno we have a larger player and hopefully a better defender. My major concern with Geno right now is that he tends to drive into the middle of the defense with no plan for distributing or shooting. Just my observation. On top of all of this I still feel he is pressing a bit knowing the "big hook" is hanging over his shoulder.

How is it unreal? We’ve seen him for 6 games... he looks small, like he can’t dribble, certainly cannot finish inside(how many times has he been blocked?) and even the defense doesn’t look good. I’m not going off of production, just the eye test. More Washington minutes may benefit us in the long run this season and the seasons ahead. We don’t owe anythig to him just because he is a 5th yr... if he can’t contribute, he should not play. He cannot even last a TV timeout withot JB having to yank him. I actually haven’t minded what I’ve seen from HW. Better handler, quicker and smoother shot. Look I want whats best for the team and I know you all do too, but it seems like wishful thinking to believe there’s something more coming from GT.
If you can honestly say with a straight face that you’ve “seen enough” of Thorpe to conclude that he’s a bust, then I want what you’re smoking.
In any case, you might wanna pass that analysis on to JB. Somehow, he’s under the apparently mistaken impression that Thorpe is worth the wait.

Last edited:
Geno Thorpe has the ability to be a great sixth man. He brings that spark plugs scoring ability off the bench.

I just want him to be a 3 & D guy. No idea why he constantly dribbles into the middle of the defense with no plan.

Being that he's not being used as such, the staff must see something in practice that shows them he's capable of more than that.

Not only is he learning a new system, but I think that ankle injury really bothered him and even put him further behind. I expect him to contribute more at somepoint - however I don't think he'll steal minutes from Tyus or Frank barring foul trouble - you might see the 3 guard lineup in games where we trail with Marek on the bench.

If Geno gives us a solid 10-12 mpg in ACC play I think that's enough.

He's just not better than Battle or Howard, so there's no reason to expect his minutes to go up any time soon, barring injury/fouls.

With how Dolezaj has acclimated to the zone and the hustle/rebound he brings, we don't have to use Tyus on the wing much, if at all.

There are really no options for Thorpe to play, other than to give a breather. He's probably a solid player and better than he's shown, but the opportunity isn't what he expected, I'd guess.

this is probably the best Thorpe analysis I've seen on the site so far. You're not saying he's a bad player, but you're saying his role will be limited. This is a fair assessment I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom