Why not... | Syracusefan.com

Why not...

cto

Administrator
Why aren't we as worthy as any other team to be ranked #1 on Monday? There are, what, five one-loss high-major teams out there? And only one of them beat the #1 team today.

Yeah, I know it won't happen, but why does everyone here seem to think we are not worthy? Maybe our OOC sked was a bit suspect... but we beat the frigging #1 team today... on its home court!

Shouldn't that count for something?

CTO, you are a good person to have as a friend. I went on an errand after the chatroom and by the time I got back my account was working. The word must have spread fast to the computer guys that you wanted to help me and BOOM, they fixed it. I can't get any help in a month and you have it taken care of in an hour.

Thx computer guys.

ESPN has a different agenda. Rhymes with Puke...

There are about 10 teams this year with a legitimate shot at the NCAA title, and we are on that list.

While we certainly could be #1, I suspect we'll be either 3 or 4, behind Duke, Michigan, and maybe Kansas.

Personally, Duke without Kelly doesn't scare me, and JB has always had success against Beilein teams. So, in my mind, we are the best team and I think we beat the second best team. But I certainly wouldn't say any0ne who thinks neither SU nor Louisville are the two best teams in the country doesn't know what they are talking about.

Cheers,
Neil

I think we'd have a shot if we went into the game ranked, say, #3. Going from #6 to #1 is highly unlikely.

But my guess is that after today's win, we're going to start garnering more respect on the national level, almost universally amongst the sports media. Sure, there will be some non-believers out there. But the best way to shut them up will be to keep winning.

Just win, baby. The rest / results / rankings will take care of themselves.

I think we will have some first place votes this week but wont sniff the top spot. 3 at best...probably 4.

this was without a doubt the most impressive win of this college basketball season, nobody has a better win

True, but Duke has a more impressive 2nd win (Ohio State) and a more impressive 3rd win (Minnesota) and a more understandable loss (NC State) than us.

Same is true for Michigan as well.

I think our 2 best wins are better than Kansas, but their loss is more understandable than ours.

It's why I see us at best #3 and at worse #4.

Cheers,
Neil

we'll probably 4th because we didnt beat them "convincingly", that and the 2 games prior we didnt look alll that great

We'll get some #1 votes, but we'll also have Wilner placing us at #24 to drag down our total points. I'll guess we come out 3 in the coaches and 4 in the AP.

I agree with how Neil layed it out. Duke also beat Louisville, beat some better teams, did not lose this week, and lost to a more repectable team. I hate Duke, but don't see us jumping them because of this. That on top of the fact that we never quite get the respect we deserve.
But I'm not sure I want to be #1. I would rather live without that target on our backs. I can live being #2, 3, 4,. We know what we did today. The players know what they did today. I don't really care if the voters get it right. Nothing will take this win and the greatness of it away.

ESPN has a different agenda. Rhymes with Puke...
I sure wish we could have hit are freethrows against Temple . There would no disscusion , at all about Cuse being 1 .

I sure wish we could have hit are freethrows against Temple . There would no disscusion , at all about Cuse being 1 .
Maybe that's a blessing in disguise. Other people have said it. Our free throw shooting has been unreal since that Temple game. Just keep winning, keep growing in confidence, and we'll stay in the top 4. And keep making those free throws!!

I'm not saying anything anyone doesn't know, but the rankings start with the "fact" that the prior week's rankings were "perfectly accurate" at that time. Thus, changes are only incremental, win and you move up a notch or two, lose and you fall.
Anyway, we still have a way's to go. My orange heart believes that the 3 Frosh will be major contributors by the end of the year. That belief has yet to be proven.

I'm not saying anything anyone doesn't know, but the rankings start with the "fact" that the prior week's rankings were "perfectly accurate" at that time. Thus, changes are only incremental, win and you move up a notch or two, lose and you fall.
Anyway, we still have a way's to go. My orange heart believes that the 3 Frosh will be major contributors by the end of the year. That belief has yet to be proven.
It would be great going a solid nine deep in the tourny . I believe The Cuse would be a very tough out !

It'll be Michigan 1, Duke 2, and KU/SU going 3-4.

Because, as always, Kansas plays NOBODY in their conference schedule. They just pad up the win column on their way to a 1 or 2 seed every year.

Because, as always, Kansas plays NOBODY in their conference schedule. They just pad up the win column on their way to a 1 or 2 seed every year.

I don't know about "as always". The Big12 has been pretty solid in recent years, though it does look not very threatening this year.
If we win a close game @Nova (roughly the BE's Texas) we'll say "it's a road win, we'll take it and move on".
Was not impressed with the miracle home cooking aided win vs Texas Tech though; I don't really think they're a top 5 team.

I think Florida is as good as anyone right now.
How long is Ryan Kelly out?

To be honest I think we do better in the underdog, under ranked role. It's probably my imagination but like yesterday when we were the underdog and less respected team - it appears to motivate the players and they rise to the occasion. I care only that we're in the top 10 -12 for seeding purposes and of course #1 at the end of the year. Let them all put us down, it's so much fun proving them wrong on the court where it matters.

To be honest I think we do better in the underdog, under ranked role. It's probably my imagination but like yesterday when we were the underdog and less respected team - it appears to motivate the players and they rise to the occasion. I care only that we're in the top 10 -12 for seeding purposes and of course #1 at the end of the year. Let them all put us down, it's so much fun proving them wrong on the court where it matters.

It's more fun for us when SU's the underdog, too. It makes performances like yesterday that much more enjoyable.

If we've learned anything over the years, it's that being ranked #1 is fun, and nice for bragging rights, but in the grand scheme of things it means nothing. It's really more of a measuring stick as to where you might be seeded come March. As long as we're hovering somewhere in the top 8, I'll be happy.

Why aren't we as worthy as any other team to be ranked #1 on Monday? There are, what, five one-loss high-major teams out there? And only one of them beat the #1 team today.

Yeah, I know it won't happen, but why does everyone here seem to think we are not worthy? Maybe our OOC sked was a bit suspect... but we beat the frigging #1 team today... on its home court!

Shouldn't that count for something?
And, without JS. Fully believe L/ville will win many big games in the B/E as will SU. If the team can stay focused and depend on those who have stepped up in JS absence we will be #1.

If we've learned anything over the years, it's that being ranked #1 is fun, and nice for bragging rights, but in the grand scheme of things it means nothing.
I know people are split on this, but I do think it helps with recruiting. There is a reason that the top programs don't change much from year to year and a big part of that is that they are recruiting the top kids. Cuse recruits great kids but many people across the country wouldn't put us in the "Elite program" class with Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina and Duke. I know there are other top schools as well but those four seem to get the most publicity as the echelon of college basketball. We are extremely close to breaking into that group, but I'm sure we don't get there without winning another NC and a few years of finishing first in the ACC<

Kansas only has two games left with ranked teams the rest of the way. Both are against KSU and this Tuesday is at KSU. The Wildcats did beat Florida this season so I would almost expect them to be favored at home vs Kansas. Won't be a shock if they win. After that, Kansas won't play a game all year that they will be favored by less than five points.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom