Why Pittsburgh Will Win | Syracusefan.com

Why Pittsburgh Will Win

SWC75

Bored Historian
- The history of the series has involved alternate periods of dominance, sort of like professional wrestling. We won 11 of 16 from 1957-1972. They won 11 in a row from 1973-1983. We won 16 of 18, (with a tie) from 1984 to 2001. They’ve won 14 of 17 since then and full expect to win this one, too. We hope to win. There’s a difference.

- We are 3-3 but have not beaten a power conference team. Against them, we’ve bene blown out twice and bobbled any chance to win last week’s game with mistakes. Pitt had beaten a nationally ranked Central Florida team and a Duke team that has been playing very well. They gave a powerful Penn State team all they could handle. The other loss was by 16 in the opener against Virginia, who could win their division. The Panthers haven’t embarrassed themselves all year and we certainly have.

- Nunes: “Sophomore Jaylen Twyman leads the team in sacks with six, and has seven tackles for loss. He typically lines up right over the center, so that will be just terrific for a Syracuse offensive line still without their starting center.” Expect a lot of pressure up the middle, which DeVito doesn’t handle well, (neither do most other QBs- the shortest distance between two points, etc.).

- Pitt, like NC State, has a top rushing defense, 16th in the country at 97 yards per game. of
course they could be a mediocre rushing defense and we still might not get more than 97 yards.

- Alex Kessman hit field goals of 55, 54 and 45 yards against last year to send us to defeat. He did that in Heinz field, the worse kicking field in the NFL. Now he’s in the Dome.

- Pitt could get back injured players, according to their previews. Ours seem to remain out.
Syracuse Orange Injuries - NCAAF Football - USA TODAY
Assuming that the “unlikely”, “no timetable” and “undetermined length” guys will not play that’s projected starters Cisco and Heckel. Melifonwu is “unknown” and Williams, who hasn’t played all year, is “targeting’ the Pitt game, just as he targeted the NC State game and the other games before that. None of the other guys are on the two deep but some of them might have bene if healthy.

- Let’s face it: we’re not going to accomplish much of anything until this offensive line gets straightened out. And that probably won’t be this year.

Last edited:
Reading this thread front and back so I wont feel so stupid like after the nc state game

- They won 11 in a row from 1873-1983.

They probably announced this series in 1864, and people thought yeah, like I'll ever see all 11 games over that 111 year period.

Pitt’s owned us the majority of my lifetime

That last sentence was jarring likely due to the weight of truth it holds. I’m still watching the game and feel they are going to win because that’s my game day attitude but my brain knows the o line has established its identity for the year and that’s an issue

Pitt’s owned us the majority of my lifetime

We beat them every year between 1984 and 2001 except twice (loss in 1989 and tie in 1990). But yes if you're younger and referring to your adult life, post-Freeney against them has been a disaster.

We beat them every year between 1984 and 2001 except twice (loss in 1989 and tie in 1990). But yes if you're younger and referring to your adult life, post-Freeney against them has been a disaster.
Yeah I started watching in 99-00

Yeah I started watching in 99-00

I feel for you. You’ve had like 3 seasons worth remembering.

I was 8 when we moved to CNY from Connecticut in 85. I didn’t have a college team to cheer for before that so I embraced the Orangemen with open arms. Man what a great run that was to be a kid following SU back then. I just assumed we’d be dominant in football, basketball and lacrosse forever. I knew nothing else for a long time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom