Why Syracuse Will Win | Syracusefan.com

Why Syracuse Will Win

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Since we joined he ACC we’ve played Clemson 10 times and lost 9 times. But those 9 losses have included a game where we led 6-3 at halftime and lost 6-16, a 27-37 loss in the Dome with our back-up QB, losses by 23-27 and 21-27 done there and a third game that was 21-26 until the Tigers roared with three late scores and a 14-17 defensive dual here two years ago. Tigers, we ain’t afraid of no Tigers!

- Shrader will totally -out play Cade Klubnik, who, after all is just a ‘game manager’. Garrett will throw a TD pass from the pocket, another on the run and run for a third.

- LeQuint Allen will again overcome whatever obstacles they put in front of him to make a difference in any way he can. So will hit teammates, taking inspiration from him.

- Clemson’s D-backs go 6-2, 6-1 and two 6-0 guys. Even with Gadsden and Jones out, we can put a 6-6 guy, (Alford), 6-3 (Hatcher), 6-3 Darryl Gill, and 6-2 (Long) as well as 6-7 Max Mang and 6-4 Dan Villari on them with a 6-4QB throwing to them. And 6-1 Donvan brown, with his track speed, will be a challenge, too.

- Rocky Long has shown that his 3 down linemen, 3 linebackers and 5 defensive backs can shut down Army’s running game. They aren’t going to be intimidated by Shipley and Maffa. And see the stats on TFL’s below.

- Our D-backs often seem to come up with a big play against Clemson. They will do it again, as Klubnik will be on the run.

- Nobody can match our combination of Denaburg and Stonehouse in putting the foot in football. Clemson sure can’t.

- Clemson has shown whatever they’ve got in their playbook on film at this point. We haven’t.

- The most perfect day I’ve ever experienced was October 17, 1987. It was a sunny day, with puffy white clouds drifting across the sky and a warm zephyr of a breeze. The trees and the ground below them were full of golden leaves. I decided to walk from Manley to the Dome. It was so beautiful, I didn’t want to go inside. I sat on the steps at Hendricks Chapel, (this was before the band concerts there). We were about to play the defending national champions, a team that had beaten us 16 times in a row. But I felt that, on such a beautiful day, nothing could possibly go wrong. I finally went inside the Dome and nothing did:

October 17, 1987 - #10 Penn State @ #13 Syracuse

Tomorrow is supposed to be a beautiful day. I will once again be walking from Manley to the Dome. And I will have the same feeling.

Favorable stats for SU:
SCORING OFFENSE SU- 44 CL- 36
OFFENSIVE PASSING YARDS PER COMPLETION SU- 13.5 CL – 10.2
OFFENSIVE PASSING YARDS PER ATTEMPT SU- 9.1 CL – 6.9
OFFENSIVE PASSING EFFICIENCY SU- 161.27 CL – 144.33
OFFENSIVE 3RD AND 4TH DOWN PERCENTAGE SU- 50.0 CL - 45.9
TACKLES FOR A LOSS ALLOWED SU- 18 CL - 24
BLOCKED KICKS ALLOWED SU- 0 CL – 2
SCORING DEFENSE SU- 11 CL- 22.5
DEFENSIVE PASSING YARDS PER COMPLETION SU- 9.3 CL- 10.3
DEFENSIVE RED ZONE POINTS SU- 24/9 = 2.7 CL – 33/8 = 4.1
SACKS SU- 13 CL – 6
KICKOFFS THAT WERE RETURNED SU- 1/32 = 0.03% CL - 3/26 = 11.5%
OPPONENT KICKOFFS THAT WERE RETURNED SU- 6/10 = 60% CL – 7/17 = 41.1%
OPPONENT PUNT RETURNS SU- 2.7 CL – 8.4
PUNTS RETURNED SU- 14/23 = 60.9% CL- 9/27 = 33.3%
OPPONENT PUNTS RETURNED SU- 3/11 = 27.3% CL- 5/13 = 38.5%
NET PUNTING SU- 43.7 CL – 39.1
FIELD GOAL PERCENTAGE SU- 6/7 = 85.7% CL – 2/6 = 33.3%
LONGEST FG SU- 46 CL - 30
40 YARDS + SU- 1/2 = 50.0% CL – 0/1 = 0.00%
TURNOVER MARGIN SU- +5 CL – Even
That’s quite of list of advantages to have. Of course, how much of these advantages are due to SU having a weaker schedule, (76th vs. 7th), I don’t know. But lets assume they could all potentially matter tomorrow. We are definitely the better passing team, which is why we’ve scored more and converted 3rd and 4th downs better. It’s interesting that we’ve allowed more sacks, (10-6) but they have allowed more TFLs (18-24). That means that we’ve only allowed 8 TFLs on running plays but the Tigers have allowed 18 of them. Go figure. They’ve had two kicks blocked. Shakey potatoes! We’ve given up half the points, but the schedule could explain that. Clemson’s opponents have been able to throw deep a bit better than ours. We are the #1 defensive red zone team in the country! I couldn’t find a ranking but we are probably also leading our great nation in fewest kick-offs returned, (1 of 32 – another went out of bounds). Our coverage on punts has also been great. With Jack Stonehouse, we should gain yards on every punt exchange, (assuming his shaky performance at Purdue was an anomaly). Maybe the biggest thing: We’ve got more than twice as many sacks as Clemson: 13-6. Six sacks in four games isn’t scary. Garret Shrader should have more time to pass than Cade Klubnik. And if he does, the Shredder can make big plays on the run, moreso than Klubnik. We’ve got a much better placekicking record and we hold onto the ball better.

4-0 and 8 – or 9 – to go!

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!

Last edited:
- Since we joined he ACC we’ve played Clemson 10 times and lost 9 times. But those 9 losses have included a game where we led 6-3 at halftime and lost 6-16, a 27-37 loss in the Dome with our back-up QB, losses by 23-27 and 21-27 done there and a third game that was 21-26 until the Tigers roared with three late scores and a 14-17 defensive dual here two years ago. Tigers, we ain’t afraid of no Tigers!

- Shrader will totally -out play Cade Klubnik, who, after all is just a ‘game manager’. Garrett will throw a TD pass from the pocket, another on the run and run for a third.

- LeQuint Allen will again overcome whatever obstacles they put in front of him to make a difference in any way he can. So will hit teammates, taking inspiration from him.

- Clemson’s D-backs go 6-2, 6-1 and two 6-0 guys. Even with Gadsden and Jones out, we can put a 6-6 guy, (Alford), 6-3 (Hatcher), 6-3 Darryl Gill, and 6-2 (Long) as well as 6-7 Max Mang and 6-4 Dan Villari on them with a 6-4QB throwing to them. And 6-1 Donvan brown, with his track speed, will be a challenge, too.

- Rocky Long has shown that his 3 down linemen, 3 linebackers and 5 defensive backs can shut down Army’s running game. They aren’t going to be intimidated by Shipley and Maffa. And see the stats on TFL’s below.

- Our D-backs often seem to come up with a big play against Clemson. They will do it again, as Klubnik will be on the run.

- Nobody can match our combination of Denaburg and Stonehouse in putting the foot in football. Clemson sure can’t.

- Clemson has shown whatever they’ve got in their playbook on film at this point. We haven’t.

- The most perfect day I’ve ever experienced was October 17, 1987. It was a sunny day, with puffy white clouds drifting across the sky and a warm zephyr of a breeze. The trees and the ground below them were full of golden leaves. I decided to walk from Manley to the Dome. It was so beautiful, I didn’t want to go inside. I sat on the steps at Hendricks Chapel, (this was before the band concerts there). We were about to play the defending national champions, a team that had beaten us 16 times in a row. But I felt that, on such a beautiful day, nothing could possibly go wrong. I finally went inside the Dome and nothing did:

October 17, 1987 - #10 Penn State @ #13 Syracuse

Tomorrow is supposed to be a beautiful day. I will once again be walking from Manley to the Dome. And I will have the same feeling.

Favorable stats for SU:
SCORING OFFENSE SU- 44 CL- 36
OFFENSIVE PASSING YARDS PER COMPLETION SU- 13.5 CL – 10.2
OFFENSIVE PASSING YARDS PER ATTEMPT SU- 9.1 CL – 6.9
OFFENSIVE PASSING EFFICIENCY SU- 161.27 CL – 144.33
OFFENSIVE 3RD AND 4TH DOWN PERCENTAGE SU- 50.0 CL - 45.9
TACKLES FOR A LOSS ALLOWED SU- 18 CL - 24
BLOCKED KICKS ALLOWED SU- 0 CL – 2
SCORING DEFENSE SU- 11 CL- 22.5
DEFENSIVE PASSING YARDS PER COMPLETION SU- 9.3 CL- 10.3
DEFENSIVE RED ZONE POINTS SU- 24/9 = 2.7 CL – 33/8 = 4.1
SACKS SU- 13 CL – 6
KICKOFFS THAT WERE RETURNED SU- 1/32 = 0.03% CL - 3/26 = 11.5%
OPPONENT KICKOFFS THAT WERE RETURNED SU- 6/10 = 60% CL – 7/17 = 41.1%
OPPONENT PUNT RETURNS SU- 2.7 CL – 8.4
PUNTS RETURNED SU- 14/23 = 60.9% CL- 9/27 = 33.3%
OPPONENT PUNTS RETURNED SU- 3/11 = 27.3% CL- 5/13 = 38.5%
NET PUNTING SU- 43.7 CL – 39.1
FIELD GOAL PERCENTAGE SU- 6/7 = 85.7% CL – 2/6 = 33.3%
LONGEST FG SU- 46 CL - 30
40 YARDS + SU- 1/2 = 50.0% CL – 0/1 = 0.00%
TURNOVER MARGIN SU- +5 CL – Even
That’s quite of list of advantages to have. Of course, how much of these advantages are due to SU having a weaker schedule, (76th vs. 7th), I don’t know. But lets assume they could all potentially matter tomorrow. We are definitely the better passing team, which is why we’ve scored more and converted 3rd and 4th downs better. It’s interesting that we’ve allowed more sacks, (10-6) but they have allowed more TFLs (18-24). That means that we’ve only allowed 8 TFLs on running plays but the Tigers have allowed 18 of them. Go figure. They’ve had two kicks blocked. Shakey potatoes! We’ve given up half the points, but the schedule could explain that. Clemson’s opponents have been able to throw deep a bit better than ours. We are the #1 defensive red zone team in the country! I couldn’t find a ranking but we are probably also leading our great nation in fewest kick-offs returned, (1 of 32 – another went out of bounds). Our coverage on punts has also been great. With Jack Stonehouse, we should gain yards on every punt exchange, (assuming his shaky performance at Purdue was an anomaly). Maybe the biggest thing: We’ve got more than twice as many sacks as Clemson: 13-6. Six sacks in four games isn’t scary. Garret Shrader should have more time to pass than Cade Klubnik. And if he does, the Shredder can make big plays on the run, moreso than Klubnik. We’ve got a much better placekicking record and we hold onto the ball better.

4-0 and 8 – or 9 – to go!

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!
All I know is I am not playing and am so pumped I can't sleep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom