Why Syracuse will win | Syracusefan.com

Why Syracuse will win

SWC75

Bored Historian
- We play defense. Aux barricades! Keep us in it guys, so a few plays could win it for us.

LesMiserable-photo-by-Matthew-Murphy.jpg

- (See below) We’ll need a kickoff return, maybe a good punt return and a defensive touchdown, (maybe another Pick 6) to pull this one off.

- Tech’s run defense has been so bad, maybe could run on them even with 11 in the box. Maybe.

- We’ve had enough week to try to generate a passing game. I doubt it will come from Shrader or Del Rio Wilson. Apparently Davis isn’t ready and McPhail isn’t good enough. But if Villari can connect with a receiver or two and maybe Allen can do something, we should have receivers that are wide open.

- Basically, everything that could go our way has to. But we’re due for some regression to the mean.

- This team was angry last week and sick of losing. Stay sick of it and stay angry. Take it out on Tech! (That would make a good button or T-shirt)

5-5 and 2 – or 3 – to go!

LET’S GO ORANGE!

Stats that favor Syracuse:
BLOCKED KICKS ALLOWED SU- 0 GT - 1
(I’m assuming blocked kicks are placekicks and added them to blocked punts)
SCORING DEFENSE SU- 22.30 GT – 31.30
TOTAL DEFENSIVE YARDS SU- 381.2 GT – 456.2
DEFENSIVE FIRST DOWNS SU- 211 GT - 229
DEFENSIVE RUSHING YARDS SU- 143.80 GT – 224.00
DEFENSIVE TOUCHDOWNS SU - 3 GT – 0
OPPONENT KICKOFF RETURNS SU- 18.33 GT – 24.90
KICKOFFS THAT WERE RETURNED SU- 3/51 = 5.9% GT - 14/56 = 25.0%
OPPONENT KICKOFFS THAT WERE RETURNED SU- 11/49 = 22.4% GT – 18/59 = 30.5%
OPPONENT PUNTS RETURNED SU- 24/47 = 51.1% GT - 8/34 = 23.5%
NET PUNTING SU- 39.80 GT – 39.11

Comments: We are better on defense. And our defense is going to have to give us the chance to win this one, as they did against Pittsburgh. The gap between their defense and ours is about equal to the gap between our offense and theirs. I suspect, ironically, that pace of play has a lot to do with this. Is yellow the new fast? The problem, of course, is that Tech will have the films of the Pitt game and they are going to put 11 in the box. Will we have an offense at all? If it’s a close, low-scoring game, (the only kind we can win, IMO), it might be a battle of turnovers and big special teams plays. Tech has blocked 4 placekicks and we have 3 defensive touchdowns to their none. Tech also gives up more kick-off returns and they give up more yardage. We’re going to need one.

One stat was even:
TURNOVER MARGIN SU- +1 GT - +1

I’m thinking our new ground game scheme will keep their offense off the field enough to minimize their strength. I’m liking this matchup so long as we stick with what works.

Davis doesnt need to be ready to run an offense. Can he make some simple throws out of the RPO game where its not a read the D thing. Do we really not have one QB that we can put out there who can do that?

Any time you use a ball control offense and a have an aggressive, opportunistic defense, you’ll have a chance to pull an upset. Kicking game will be important today. I wouldn’t be shocked to see a fake punt at some point.

We’ve had a large number of turnovers by opposing teams not be recovered … time for some Regression to the mean in that dept?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom