Why Syracuse Will Win | Syracusefan.com

Why Syracuse Will Win

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Because USC will travel 3000 miles to play us before a pro-Syracuse crowd, thinking that this is an opportunity to roll up a score so they can get back to #1. They will find out we have other plans.

- I hate it when a team I am rooting for is not trying just to win but wants to win by a certain margin to impress people or win some kind of s tie breaker. I think it makes it harder to win at all because it puts too much pressure on your team. I hope the Trojans are coming here with the midset that Alabama is their real opponent. They will be easier to beat.

- They outgained Hawaii 475-264. We outgained Northwestern 596-337. That’s a wash, isn’t it? We just need to avoid the big plays- unless we are making them.

- Ryan Nassib is a senior quarterback at the height of his powers who operates best when we use the no-huddle, pass first attack we were using at the beginning of last year’s game. In that mode he can really carve up a defense. The problem last year was that we stopped playing that way. In this game we have to play that way for 60 minutes.

- He threw for 470 yards and 4 TDs last week without his two top returning receivers, Alec Lemon and David Stevens. Stevens will be back and Lemon is still a possibility. And the guys who replaced them looked pretty good.

- Our defense is making a major comeback this year. It’s physical and aggressive. It’s bigger and quicker at the same time. Matt Barkley will see there’s a difference from early on and he’ll be fully convinced by the end of the day.

- The major convincers: the California boys, Deon Goggins and Markus Pierce-Brewster.

- Marrone and his staff will plug the leaks in the kick returns, (and make sure Mr. Lee never sees the ball). That will make it more noticeable that our kickers are really booming the ball this year.

- Doug Marrone talked about playing Nebraska in 1983 and 1984. He said it was a big advantage in 1984 to have played them before, even if they got badly beaten. “But the thing is, once we played the game, we said, ‘Yeah they are good, but they don‘t hit harder than other teams we have played.’ The next year, Mike posted the weightlifting records and we were darn close to what they did. We knew how hard they would hit us. Coach Mac told us they put on their uniforms the same way we do….We will need everything we’ve got.” He again referenced the Nebraska game, saying that their attitude was that “We’re a bunch of tough northeastern guys and we’re going to hit them in the mouth and bring the game to them.” Now we’re a bunch of ACC guys but “it’s going to be relentless vs. explosive and dynamic”.

- The difference between legitimate Dvision1A college teams really isn’t as great as people suppose. These are all “kids”, still growing into their maturity physically and mentally. Their recruiting rankings are guesstimates made very early in their development. That’s why we were able to beat West Virginia last year by the same margin LSU did, 26 points and why West Virginia was able to then beat the ACC champ, Clemson, by 37 points. There’s a wide variance in the way teams play but not as wide as we think in their capabilities when they play well. If we do what we do best and do it as best we can, we can hang with these guys.

- There’s a lot of gut feelings in the recycle bin but I’ve got one this week that something special was about to happen, something we’ll remember for along time.

- 2006: UCLA (7-6) 13 USC 9...2007: Stanford (4-8) 24 USC 23...2009: Washington (5-7) 16 USC 13...2010: Oregon State (5-7) 36 USC 7...2011 Arizona State (6-7) 43 USC 22...2012: Why not us?

At least you made this a longer list than the "why USC will win" list. :)

Here's hoping!

P.S. - Lemon is good to go, but you already knew that. You probably just have to write these nice write ups so far in advance that you didn't have a chance to implement the new news.

I love reading these posts...no matter who we are playing I am convinced we will win...until I read the why we will lose thread, then I am convinced there is no way in hell we will win. Haha. Completely messes with my emotions. Go Cuse!

Somehow this could be the coming out party for MPB, loved watching him finish off plays, when our LB's and DB's failed to wrap up. If they run some stuff for him, and refs call holding, he could create havoc for USC.

At least you made this a longer list than the "why USC will win" list. :)

Here's hoping!

P.S. - Lemon is good to go, but you already knew that. You probably just have to write these nice write ups so far in advance that you didn't have a chance to implement the new news.

Woods and Lee are great but Lemon and Sales will be quite a combination for us. They've never really be in there together, both at the peak of their powers. I hope Alec is close to 100%, rather thna limtied by injury.

pfft, Southern California is just another directional school.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom