Why take the press off there? | Syracusefan.com

Why take the press off there?

sufandu

Living Legend
Am I the only one wondering this? This isn't hindsight. As soon as it happened I looked at my wife and said, "There we go, stopping what got us here as soon as we tie the game. JB is coaching not to lose. He can't trust his guys to keep it going." UNC was frazzeled and out of sync, then we switch right back to the defense they shredded all night. Sure, we still had our opportunities, but we had taken full advantage of the helter scelter atmosphere that came with the press, including getting some easy runouts, and then lost all of that momentum the minute we came out of it. We had come back to life with it. If we were going to die, I wish we would have died with it too.

Am I the only one wondering this? This isn't hindsight. As soon as it happened I looked at my wife and said, "There we go, stopping what got us here as soon as we tie the game. JB is coaching not to lose. He can't trust his guys to keep it going." UNC was frazzeled and out of sync, then we switch right back to the defense they shredded all night. Sure, we still had our opportunities, but we had taken full advantage of the helter scelter atmosphere that came with the press, including getting some easy runouts, and then lost all of that momentum the minute we came out of it. We had come back to life with it. If we were going to die, I wish we would have died with it too.
Because JB does what JB does. He takes the press off when we tie and he slows the ball down when we are up. Nothing will change it. Not even momentum.

Not that I disagree with you though.

Because JB does what JB does. He takes the press off when we tie and he slows the ball down when we are up. Nothing will change it. Not even momentum.

Hence the hand wringing. He wasn't always this way. Watching the espn classic games remind me of that.

He’s always done that. We had our chances. Just would really, really be nice to have another defensive option to throw at the opponent when they’re toying with the zone. The press for all its random, chaotic effectiveness is still a break-glass-in-case-of-emergency.

We tied the game up. The defense did the job. It was up to the offense at that point. Why risk a foul or an easy basket.

We tied the game up. The defense did the job. It was up to the offense at that point. Why risk a foul or an easy basket.
Exactly. the same way he coached against the Zags and Virginia in the NCAA and we won. the press got us back to where we could win. Taking it off didn't cost us the game. we turned it over and they scored. Then we missed a 3. The better team won.

To me just play it out because their half court against the zone was unstoppable. Obviously I’m not the coach but to me make it a mini press making sure somebody gets back. Again I don’t look at the percentages but there is something to momentum. I get what you are saying.

Why risk it? Because we had been risking it and it's what got us back into the game. The defense had led to offense. Why stop doing the thing that worked, to go back to the thing that wasn't working? That's the better question.

We did not make another bucket after tying the game. Hard to press against turnovers and missed 3's.
The instant we tied it we came out of the press. We could have kept it on off of the last score.

Why risk it? Because we had been risking it and it's what got us back into the game. The defense had led to offense. Why stop doing the thing that worked, to go back to the thing that wasn't working? That's the better question.
It was 74-74 and we had the ball. They got a turnover and turned it in to a hoop. No press to be had there. then Howard missed a 3. Taking the press off had nothing to do with losing the game.

Exactly. the same way he coached against the Zags and Virginia in the NCAA and we won. the press got us back to where we could win. Taking it off didn't cost us the game. we turned it over and they scored. Then we missed a 3. The better team won.
We'll never know if it cost us. It's impossible to know how things would've transpired had we kept it on.

The instant we tied it we came out of the press. We could have kept it on off of the last score.

Carolina did not hesitate to inbound the ball after we tied it. Wasn't really an opportunity to set it up.

Not just that, but I think emotions were running high and focus of team wasn't to immidiately run up and press after finally tying the game up.

Carolina did not hesitate to inbound the ball after we tied it. Wasn't really an opportunity to set it up.

Not just that, but I think emotions were running high and focus of team wasn't to immidiately run up and press after finally tying the game up.
I don't buy that. We had been doing it consistently for how many minutes and suddenly we're not prepared?

It was 74-74 and we had the ball. They got a turnover and turned it in to a hoop. No press to be had there. then Howard missed a 3. Taking the press off had nothing to do with losing the game.
Did he take it off? We didn’t score the last 3 minutes.
Did we press after tying it? BludOrange said we didn't. That preceded the turnover.

To me just play it out because their half court against the zone was unstoppable.
This. You have to keep doing anything to keep them out of their halfcourt sets. Trunk monkey is the basketball version of the onsides kick.

But we didn’t lose this game because the press got called off. The fact that the press got us back in the game was nothing short of a miracle when you consider how impotent our halfcourt defense was. The worst zone performance I’ve seen in quite awhile... and that’s coming on the heels of the NC ST debacle where they hit 26 corner threes in a row.

What a heartbreaking loss. I really thought we were gonna pull out a win tonight. We were sticking with them, not letting them get too far ahead. Then we made a few baskets and got the press going, and I thought, here we go. We got this. So frustrating that we didn’t score the last two minutes! Drive the ball to the basket and don’t settle for 3s!

I must be the only one scared to death when we had the press on. We did not get one steal. They missed like 3 layups and got a shot blocker on a 3 on 1.
You must not have been watching our halfcourt defense then. I can still hear the lambs crying.

I must be the only one scared to death when we had the press on. We did not get one steal. They missed like 3 layups and got a shot blocker on a 3 on 1.
They missed layups because they were out of control and Chukwu intimidated them at the rim. I think Brissett may have had a block in there too. The complexion of the game changed in our favor. I was nervous at first too, but could tell after a few possessions momentum had shifted.

Did we press after tying it? BludOrange said we didn't. That preceded the turnover.

Fair enough...I just don’t remember a point thinking “why didn’t we press there?” UNC scored in transition off the Chukwu turnover and then made 2 FT’s when we had to foul them. Wasn’t like they shredded our zone in the last 3 minutes and that’s why we lost. We lost because we didn’t score.

We were dead tired when the press came off. We weren’t turning them over and chu and brissett especially had no legs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom