Why take the press off there? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Why take the press off there?

We tied the game up. The defense did the job. It was up to the offense at that point. Why risk a foul or an easy basket.

Because we can’t beat a top 10 team straight up. We play 2.5 on 5. We need to be disruptive to win. Not to tie. But to win.

If nothing else chukwu needs to get a squeeze ball and do about a million repetitions this summer. Half of his turnovers are because someone rips or slaps the ball away. And shock therapy every time he tries a layup instead of dunking.

Fair enough...I just don’t remember a point thinking “why didn’t we press there?” UNC scored in transition off the Chukwu turnover and then made 2 FT’s when we had to foul them. Wasn’t like they shredded our zone in the last 3 minutes and that’s why we lost. We lost because we didn’t score.
I thought it the instant we scored our last bucket and saw us back pedal to the other end. I thought the offense was tied to it too. It doesn't matter. JB is gonna do what he's gonna do. At this point he's not gonna change.

I thought it the instant we scored our last bucket and saw us back pedal to the other end.

Admittedly I didn’t really see that, because I was jumping around the living room screaming.

Admittedly I didn’t really see that, because I was jumping around the living room screaming.
I'm too experienced with SU basketball to jump and scream that early.

I'm too experienced with SU basketball to jump and scream that early.

It’s been a long season, I’m trying to take advantage of any moments when it’s actually fun.

Seriously though...we really haven’t made many exciting runs like that one tonight this year.

We were dead tired when the press came off. We weren’t turning them over and chu and brissett especially had no legs.
The worst thing you can do when your legs feel dead is stop moving and give yourself the chance to think about it. Had there been 8 minutes left in the game, I'd get it. At the end like that, hustle can keep the adrenaline going, especially in a game you just tied against a favored team, and make you forget fatigue for a brief time.

It’s been a long season, I’m trying to take advantage of any moments when it’s actually fun.

Seriously though...we really haven’t made many exciting runs like that one tonight this year.
Yeah. There has been a lot of ugly on display this year.

I must be the only one scared to death when we had the press on. We did not get one steal. They missed like 3 layups and got a shot blocker on a 3 on 1.

Agree, the press didn't work...AT...ALL. If UNC wasn't stupid, and held up instead of going to the basket against Chu, it wouldn't have been as close as it was. That's a fact.

Because we can’t beat a top 10 team straight up. We play 2.5 on 5. We need to be disruptive to win. Not to tie. But to win.

They easily beat the press every single time. #13 for UNC got the out of bounds pass each time initiating a fast break where they attacked Chukwu attempting to get his 5th. If it wasn't for Chukwu's defense (at the very end - obviously not earlier in the game) we would have lost by 10. The press wasn't successful, they broke it , we got 0 steals, 0 turnovers and only UNC's impatience on offense and Chukwu's defense saved us from a 10 point loss.

I must be the only one scared to death when we had the press on. We did not get one steal. They missed like 3 layups and got a shot blocker on a 3 on 1.
You are not alone - our press seems most effective when teams lose their mind and think they have to finish against it. Playing with the lead - UNC should have pulled it out every single time and then carved up our zone. The lack of game awareness at this level amazes me.

This year? That was getting into Virginia territory!

I was rewatching the game last night and we didn't really take the press off. After we tied it at 74 behind motioned to keep pressing. The beat it really quick though and then called a timeout and then after that it was at 2 minutes left and we had the ball. We didn't score the rest of the way so there was no chance to bring the press back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom