Why Toledo Will Win | Syracusefan.com

Why Toledo Will Win

SWC75

Bored Historian
Why Toledo Will Win
- They’ve beaten a BCS team each of the last five years and this is the last one on their schedule. We are 1-17 in Noon games at the Dome- 0-7 in the Marrone Era. We’ve lost four of our last five home games. Teams that go to the west coast tend to play like they are jet-lagged the next week. Etc….etc…and so forth.
images.jpg

- They are 1-2 and we are 2-1 but we are closer to 0-3 than 3-0 and their losses were to national powers Ohio State and Boise State, against whom they competed well. Our game against a national power, USC, was disappointing. They are simply a better team, regardless of what conference the two schools are- or will be- in.

- We give up big plays- three long TD passes of 30 yards or more last week, as many as we had all last year. They can score quickly with their great receiver/kick returner, Eric Page and their highly productive running back, Adonis Thomas. We plod along, trying to get 10-12 play drives with no mistakes. We can’t protect the quarterback well enough to try long passes. We don’t get kick returns that amount to anything. We last scored a defensive touchdown 5 years ago. We don’t block kicks. It will be the tortoise vs. the hare and we will be the tortoise. But they will be going all out the whole way.

- We have injured players all over the place on a defense that was already in rebuilding mode- Will Chandler Jones play? What about Shamarko Thomas and Keon Lyn? How is Philip Thomas’ jaw these days? And our plodding offense leaves our young defense out on the field too long.

- Toledo uses the same 4-4 scheme that gave us fits when Rhode Island played it. And they are better than Rhode Island,. Way better.

- Because we are afraid of the long play, we give up 47% on third down conversions. They can keep the ball all day.

- So who is going to be our punter? How about Fisher when we need to boom it out of there and Raupers when we want to pin them down?

- They have all eight defenders back from last and 8 of 11 offensive starters are upperclassmen. We are going with young guys all over the place. It will be the little brothers against the big brothers.

- This game has gone from a presumed victory to a likely defeat and maybe an ugly one.

Toledo is good. Wake up! ;)

I agree, which is why I want him to stop talking about it... ;)
In all fairness, I don't believe that Ohio State is as strong as they might seem with all of their talent. They have a new coach & must adjust as a result. When they faced Toledo, they were not well adjusted yet as a team, & it caused a very close game with an improved Toledo squad.

In our case, we have a head coach with a few years under his belt, & consequently, the team should, in theory, be more prepared to deal with Toledo. Syracuse has more talent than their opponent, so that gives us a slight edge.

My theory is, playing USC a week earlier actually prepares them much better. They will not face a stronger team than the Trojans, talent wise, the rest of the season, & lining up against the Rockets should give them more confidence immediately. It's like lifting a heavy weight during a workout, & then doing a lighter set shortly after... It makes the workout seem much easier than it actually is...

I guess lining up in Columbus before 100,000+ and playing #4 Boise State doesn't do the same?

to be honest with everybody...Toledo has a nice team...however for us to lose this game, Toledo has to be able to establish a run game to which could be difficult against our defense... like USC they will have to pass for 350 to beat us... dont see that happening unless we sleepwalk again like we did the first 2 games.. the team seems to be improving every week , so i say Syracuse 27 Toledo 17.

I agree, which is why I want him to stop talking about it... ;)
In all fairness, I don't believe that Ohio State is as strong as they might seem with all of their talent. They have a new coach & must adjust as a result. When they faced Toledo, they were not well adjusted yet as a team, & it caused a very close game with an improved Toledo squad.

In our case, we have a head coach with a few years under his belt, & consequently, the team should, in theory, be more prepared to deal with Toledo. Syracuse has more talent than their opponent, so that gives us a slight edge.

My theory is, playing USC a week earlier actually prepares them much better. They will not face a stronger team than the Trojans, talent wise, the rest of the season, & lining up against the Rockets should give them more confidence immediately. It's like lifting a heavy weight during a workout, & then doing a lighter set shortly after... It makes the workout seem much easier than it actually is...

All true and I agree about OSU and your theory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom